Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New format/old format poll

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that the "last poster" option was quite nice, and also that the page looks a bit too cramped now.

Also, the semi-built in spell checker was really usefull too (at least for me, not being a native english speaker).

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

I also appreciated the "last poster" feature, a big time saver. I miss it already.

Because, of course, these forae are all about time saving.

Oar something.

I like the quick reply function, I think.

However, I thought the poll's "either/or" option was too limited.

The other changes I am still discovering...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I did like the "last poster" link feature.

One addiional suggestion:

On the pull-down menu at th ebottom that takes you to each of the forums- why do you have to both pull down the menu item AND then thit go???

Do you ever do a pull down and not hit go?

Why not just dispense with the "go" button?

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Hmmm...well, I liked the "last poster" bit too. The new forumat (I just coined that term), while allowing more posts on the page without having them "drop off"...seems a bit crowded to me.

I'm not crazy about the "directory" bit, either. Matter of fact, truth be known, I'd just as soon have my post count omitted. (shrug)

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by wraub:

I also appreciated the "last poster" feature, a big time saver. I miss it already.

Because, of course, these forae are all about time saving.

Oar something.

I like the quick reply function, I think.

However, I thought the poll's "either/or" option was too limited.

The other changes I am still discovering...

Ditto here wraub.

I used the "last poster" feature as a way to leave the links to titles of threads I just wanted to check out as unread. In other words, I would only click on the title link of threads in which I was actively participating, thus marking them in the darker shade of blue and allowing me to find just those threads quickly, at a glance when returning to the page.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Cool, Geoff , thanks for the assist. :D

BTW, I think I still owe you a PM... :)

Oh, and another thing... There's no way to add bold/italics/etc in the QR box.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by wraub:

Cool, Geoff , thanks for the assist. :D

BTW, I think I still owe you a PM... :)

wraub, I'll look forward to it. :cool:

Originally posted by Guitar Geezer:

Stil no "STICKIES"?

Dave Bryce has posted several stickies over in the Keyboard Corner ; so yes, there are stickies now available to the MusicPlayer forums! :thu:

Originally posted by TheWewus:

Originally posted by Jon Doe:

When you open a thread, in the upper left hand corner there is a "jump to new posts" link that takes you to the last one ...

Hmmmmm... that doesn't show up in Firefox, and I don't see that I have it blocked with Adblock.
I don't see it in Safari or in Internet Explorer on my (OS X) Mac either.

Thanks as always to everyone who keeps this site up and running. :cool:

Best,

Geoff

Originally posted by John Sayers:

well I went Yeah! in the last thread but I have to go, woops can't add smilee in quick reply

Actually you can - look at the top left portion of the QR space for a link that says "Instant Graemlins". Click on that, and a little window will come up with the smilies.

Or - you could just learn to write the friggin' code:

[b]like [i]THIS![/i] [/b] 

;):freak:like THIS! :D

Originally posted by where02190:

Well, so far a resounding 77% prefer the old format

I wonder how many of those who voted will change their minds as they discover more and more new features. Personally, all I miss so far is the "last poster" aspect from the old settings. Perhaps they'll be able to implement it again in the new setup. One thing seems certain though - there's no undoing what's been done.

Best,

Geoff

P.S. As I indicated above, I didn't vote because there are things I like better about each format.

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Personally, all I miss so far is the "last poster" aspect from the old settings. Perhaps they'll be able to implement it again in the new setup.

And they did!

You guys rawk!!! :thu:

Now I'm going to vote in favor of the new format! :cool:

Best,

Geoff

As a person who runs some other forum software, I can tell you that this transition has been painless, and that's a great thing unto itself.

Secondly, I'm not familiar with UltimateBB, but if it's like phpbb then there are a truckload of "mods" to the software that are available for the general package.

These are like plug-ins that enhance functionality or ease-of-use for admin and users alike.

Oftentimes when you switch versions, you have to shed all the add-on mods that you had integrated in the old version and start with a clean version install, at which point you must then start re-inserting the mods into the new version.

BUT-- 1) the mods may not even exist for the newer software version yet (they have to be re-written sometimes for compatibility)

2) it takes time to iron out the move, and more time to edit in new code to allow those new plugins to work.

Things like a spell-checker and the like are plug-ins.

Give it time guys- no worries.

I have a feeling you'll end up wondering why we didn't switch sooner ;)

(PS-- for you no-smilies-in-quick-reply--- just do it manually:

: ) = :) ; ) = ;) etc... )

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

--Aristotle

One thing about the quick reply - you don't HAVE to use that - you can use the "Full Reply Form", which will give you all the options (spell check, smileys, UBB code, etc.) that you're all familiar with. For those of us who have all of that stuff memorized (Tedster, I'm looking in your direction ;) ), the quick reply form may be a handy addition. :)

Personally, I'm going to give it at least a few days to get acclimated to the new board / system... there's stuff I'm still finding, and I'm willing to give it a fair chance first before making up my mind. So far though, I'd say it's looking pretty good! :thu:

:) I just inserted a manual smiley, and now an instant winky ;) through the "full post" feature. Not so difficult a task to accomplish... :rolleyes:

I've just opened this up and notice at least one change right off the bat; the notification of how many unread private messages exist in your profile/private section. I've not gone to my profile yet to see what options I have for turning features on or off yet. I use the phpBB for my forum also, and as mdlestrat said earlier, this has been a painless transition thus far.

There is one thing that I do miss though, when accessing from MusicPlayers home page, the access to the forums through the tab buttons is gone. I had to somewhat weave my way through the Keyboard Corner's "forum" listed on the home page to make it back to Craig's Forum. I did not see it linked from the home page on MusicPlayer. Once I tapped into Dave's forum, I was able to "clonk" on the link across the to of the message boards as always.

First I clicked into one of the other forums, which was limited to only that section of the forums without the links above the top. Also, in trying to find my way back into here, I attempted to access the Backstage Lounge, where I know Craig hangs out also and that forum is still inaccessible.

The mechanics of the forum seem to be working just fine, from what I can tell so far. Looks like a great move.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

I couldn't find the forums from the homepage. I had to go to the Bass Player page, enter the Bass Player forum and then the click the forums link at the top.

This Quick Reply gizmo is pretty cool, though!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Another thing that I don't see is the ad banner going across the top that always had Sweetwater popping up...

????? is this intentional, or does this board not accommodate the banner manager feature?

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Archived