Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Smoking and driving

At the risk of being hated, here's why I throw my butts out the window: I don't want it stinking up my car. I've been in smokers' cars who use their ash tray and it really smells. Yes, I know just smoking in the car will make it smell anyway but having butts in there makes it worse. And I don't like the smell of smoke as weird as that may sound. I don't smoke inside my house for that reason and I don't like smoking indoors in general.

Am I gonna stop throwing my butts out my car window? I doubt it, unless I actually become successful in quitting smoking. And yes, I have tried with limited success and will continue to try. Sorry if it pisses people off but it's not why I do it. Unfortunately, people thinking it's selfish and what not is not enough for me to stop doing it. Just being honest here.

where02190, I think you would appreciate the honest answer if that's what you were looking for.

And before people start looking for my car to key it ;) , I do not smoke in my car very often (because I don't like how I get ashes in my car and gets my windshield cloudy) - probably less than once a week. If that matters to anyone.

There you go. If you hate me for that act, that's well within your right and I'm not here to get sympathy anyway - just giving you my truth because someone asked for it. Not that I'm the official representative of all smokers anyway.

Should I put my flame suit on now? :)

- Rim

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NEws flash, if you smoke in your car your car smeels like butts. Empty the ashtray on a regular basis and it won't smell as bad.

Lame excuse.

Hey all I know is something fell out of their car, I'm jsut returning lost property. I seriously doubt any judge is gonna convict me.

As far as getting cold cocked, I think the (legally licensed to carry concealed) 44 magnum and large Rottweiler that travels with me will do a pretty good job of preventing that.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Originally posted by Rim.:

At the risk of being hated, here's why I throw my butts out the window: I don't want it stinking up my car. I've been in smokers' cars who use their ash tray and it really smells. Yes, I know just smoking in the car will make it smell anyway but having butts in there makes it worse. And I don't like the smell of smoke as weird as that may sound. I don't smoke inside my house for that reason and I don't like smoking indoors in general.

:D

That sounds like... having sex and then complainig about the mess and the smell...

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by where02190:

...As far as getting cold cocked, I think the (legally licensed to carry concealed) 44 magnum and large Rottweiler that travels with me will do a pretty good job of preventing that.

oooooOOOOOooooohhhh ... :rolleyes:

As far as getting cold cocked, I think the (legally licensed to carry concealed) 44 magnum and large Rottweiler that travels with me will do a pretty good job of preventing that.

Oh bah-rother :rolleyes:

It won't prevent you from getting shot. Other people carry guns too and some of those people may not be as mentally stable as you (relatively speaking ;) ). I'd hate to hear that someone got caught in the crossfire becuase of gunfire over a cigarette butt. As if life isn't short enough already...

0096 2251 2110 8105

Where, I can understand your position on the issue of people tossing butts out the window... it's illegal, it's littering and they're 100% wrong for doing so.

However, you tossing it back into their car (especially if lit) is also illegal. And confrontational. Sooner or later, you know the odds are high that there's going to be a "situation" over it. And the fact that you have a CCW and are armed isn't going to make anything better for you IMO. A CCW and a gun don't make you a badass, and IMO, when you go around armed, you should make every effort to AVOID confrontation...

Hypothetical situation:

Some idiot tosses cigarette butt out of his window, thereby breaking the law (littering). You stop and pick it up and follow him to a gas station and toss said lit butt back into their car. Thereby breaking the law too. Setting aside the potential explosion issues, it might be considered assault to toss a lit cigarette at someone. Anyway, assume it escalates from a verbal argument to a physical one... and eventually gets to the point where you feel obligated to draw your weapon in "self-defense" and shoot someone. All of the sudden, you're in VERY serious trouble because YOU, in the eyes of the Law, could easily be considered as the instigator of the whole altercation. You're not a cop, and you don't get to legally enforce the law... and by following the litterbug and pressing the issue, it's not going to look very good when you try to argue "self-defense". It's certainly a very difficult position to defend from a legal standpoint, and while I'm not a lawyer, I would suggest you consult with yours, as well as the CCW laws of your state, about your responsibilities insofar as your CCW the wisdom of doing something like that.

I'm certainly not trying to tell you what you should do, but if you're carrying, you have an obligation to take every reasonable effort to avoid confrontation in California... and failure to do so carries some serious legal penalties, and I can't imagine that other states are much different in that regard. Just something to consider. :)

Use the ashtray and there's no problem.

I think you and Djwayne should go bowling. You two have at least one thing in common....

You're both as stubborn as rusted lug-nuts.

I'm glad I live clear accross the country from you two looney toons :rolleyes:

0096 2251 2110 8105

My car even doesn't have an ashtray(maybe that's why I got such a good deal on it?) but it does have a drink holder and I do drink alot of iced tea(no sugar or lemon, I'm hardcore). Quite often I'll toss the ice out on the road while zipping down the highway or freeway. I wonder if I've ever doused out any butts? Anyway I don't have a problem accumulating empty paper cups or glass containers.

Steve

You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

When I was fifteen and just getting hooked on Luckies - the real, straight ones - I was so proud of figuring out how to poise the butt between my thumb and index finger, then flick it with (you guessed it) my middle finger. I had a '61 Impala and was simultaneously cool in front of friends and scared of being seen by my folks, who still owned that car. I was messin' with the world's most addictive drug, which at the time had a high percentage of the American adult population hooked.

At that time, people frequently lost their gas caps because at that time nobody had figured out the tethered plastic ones. When that happened, some would literally stuff a sock in the filler hole. I started to write a short story about the meeting of an ejected butt and a gas-soaked rag. Though it took another fifteen years to quit the habit, I never tossed a butt out the window again.

For the last two and a half decades, I have driven a service truck around a medium sized city. I sit high over the traffic and watch my mirrors. Now, this is totally anecdotal, but I've noticed that many times aggressive drivers are also smoking. I watch them dive back and forth from lane to lane, trying to get ahead of the next bumper. When I meet them at the stoplight, I've already guessed that I will see a smoke in their hand, and am more often right than wrong. Try your own survey of this behavior. Nicotine is a stimulant that just may cause some otherwise avoidable crashes.

Henry

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

Archived