Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite "Music" stores? NOT Gear but books and sheet music?

I have not seen another store yet, which matches the Colony at Broadway and 49th street in Manhatten.

I see a lot of stores, but this one has finesse, history a COMPLETE section for any instrument or genre and memorabillia from most eras planted all around.

It's open till 1:00 P.M 365 days a year.

They have it all from classical to punk...

Are there any stores out there others feel are a true resource and not merely retail?

Oh, they are also on the corner of the Brill Building ground floor, who knows how cool that is?

Thanks,

Rob

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Robman2:

It's open till 1:00 P.M 365 days a year.

I think they're open until 1am, Rob. ;)

I'm a Colony Music shopper, too.

I rarely leave there without buying something. Last time, I bought my French horn playing daughter a book of Disney songs arranged for horn with an orchestra accompanyment CD. The time before, it was a Randy Newman songbook for me.

What I like most about the store is that nearly everything is displayed on "waterfall" racks. You can see the title of every music book without flipping through them in bins.

Are there any stores out there others feel are a true resource and not merely retail?

For brass instruments, I feel that way about Rod Baltimore's brass and woodwind store on 48th St. in NYC and Rayburn Music in Boston (Rayburn has a small NYC location but the Boston store is amazing).

There are a few small stores in Rochester that are an asset to the music community here. Sound Source is the only store in my area that takes instruments for sale on consignment. Muzet is the local band instrument store that does repairs in-house and carries all the stuff my kids need for school music. They make deliveries to area schools once a week so I can just call in an order for sheet music, give my daughter the money for it, and they'll bring it to her. I can't imagine there's much profit in a piece of trumpet sheet music that sells for $5.

Archived