Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Buying a Bass

My name is Al and I am new to this forum. I went to research buying/selecting/choosing an electric or upright bass. I will be playing gospel, jazz, funk, hip hop, and r&b. I see some players with a 4 string and some with a 5 or 6 string. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good intermediate or higher instrument? Thanks, from a newbee trying to get his walk and pluck on!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Al, and welcome to the forums. :wave:

You may get some good suggestions here, but you might also want to check out our dedicated Bass forum, The Low Down Lowdown.

I've been using an Ibanez SR400, which I really like - mainly because of the neck shape and size (I have fairly small hands). The tone and intonation have been bugging me a bit lately though, and I'm considering adding something else myself, although I am going to be extremely picky (no pun intended) about the neck size and shape if I do.

It's hard to go too far wrong with a Fender - either a Jazz or Precision bass can take you a long way. If you're on a budget, the Standard series (made in Mexico, if I recall correctly) would be a good choice, otherwise, I'd suggest a USA built model. Fender also makes basses that have some Jazz and some Precision bass features - usually a J bass body with a "split" P bass pickup in the neck position (instead of the usual dual single coil J bass setup), or a P bass body with a P/J bass pickup combo. J basses have a different "offset" body shape that many find more comfortable, and their necks have a much more radical shape - much narrower down at the nut, getting increasingly wider further up towards the body. P basses have a less graduated neck - wider at the nut, but they don't vary in neck width as much as a J bass does. Each has a different "feel", and it really comes down to personal comfort and preferences.

My Ibanez stays fairly thin all the way down, which helps me because it makes getting to things with my small hands easier. It also has a P / J pickup combo, with the P styled "split" pickup at the neck and a single coil at the bridge.

Best of luck with your search!

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

I don't think it's worth the extra complexity and hand discomfort - especially as you're just getting started.

Did you not mention that you have small hands. ;)
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by offramp:

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

I don't think it's worth the extra complexity and hand discomfort - especially as you're just getting started.

Did you not mention that you have small hands. ;)
Well, if you have the hands for a five string, then by all means, go ahead. :) But IMO, one should probably learn on the more traditional four string, and then move on up to a five string later. Of course, if you're doing a style where you really need that low B, then that might change things, but most music can be handled just fine with four string basses. :)

And yes, my "small hands" bias may have something to do with that opinion. :D

If you have really small hands (winks at Phil), you could always try a 3/4 scale like my Bruno hollowbody...which really looks like a ukelelee when I play it!

But you can't go wrong with a Fender bass...I love my '62 PBass...

Mike

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

While I have not had the chance to play a Bruno, most short scale basses leave a lot to be desired IMO... the low E never seems to have the same resonance and power as the other strings, and they just sound "unbalanced" to my ears. If could find a 30" scale bass that had the balance and sound of a really good 34" scale, and it didn't cost a small fortune, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

Not to try to steal the thread, but any suggestions? I wouldn't mind a short scale IF it sounds good, but if not that, then a small necked 34" with great sonics, and good flexibility from a tonal standpoint. Styles? Rock, powerpop, some jazz, some folk... a bit of everything really. Flexibility and tone are as important as the playability aspects for me. Those are the things that matter to me.

About the only thing with a short scale I've ever tried that I liked was a Hofner, but they cost a fortune, and it's a somewhat "specialized" sound that won't work for everything - Macca notwithstanding. :)

Phil,

Didn't you get a chance to play with my Bruno at the last BBQ? If you didn't play it, you at least heard Lyle play the whole set with it...

The early Gibson basses were short scale...the EB-0, EB-1...

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

I made my suggestion for 5 strings based on "gospel" and "r&b"...particularly Gospel, the arrangements of which seem to be exceptionally enamored with the ability to go WAY below and pick one up again. It is, and can be, a very powerful effect.

Non-gospel examples: Vanessa Williams' "The Best For Last" , Mr Mister's "Man Of A Thousand Dances", and Streisand's version of "Somewhere".

Low-B is something that, like spice, is best used sparingly.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

I don't like 5-stringers. The low B sounds flappy and the low E has no authority like on a 4 string.

Luckily I found a great bass for me back in the 80s. It's a Schecter PJ (back when they were made in Texas) which I put Schallar tuners and bridge on and EMG active pickups. I've got large hands and need 1 & 3/4" at the nut on guitars, but I like skinny necked basses. Mine has a Jazz bass style neck which is great for me.

Originally posted by DC:

I don't like 5-stringers. The low B sounds flappy and the low E has no authority like on a 4 string.

This, to me, is an unfair generalization. I have been playing 5 strings exclusively for over 10 years, and mine sound great. Proper set-up goes a long way...

On buying a bass, I'd say go to music shops and play as many basses as possible, from as many brands as possible. If possible, take a friend with more knowlege than yourself along, so they can ask and answer questions for you. Not sure where you are, but hopefully there's some choices for you close-by.

You may find a 4 string is perfect for you, or you might find your dream bass is a 7 string.

Who knows..?

4 string will likely be easier to start on, but you may have different goals, and you may want to shop with your future in mind.

Be sure to play everything, in your price range and otherwise. Go to as many stores as possible, don't rush a purchase. Do not be trapped by brand names- I have played many, many crap Fenders, and many fine basses from "lesser" names. Brand names largely mean nothing when it comes to guitars and assembly lines, especially with organic materials (woods), and at lower price points.

As each piece differs, so does each instrument.

Play everything you can get your hands on.

And, as Phil suggested, stop by the LowDown forum. Lots of useful info (use the Search function) and helpful folks, and it's not far away.

Welcome!

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Get yourself competent and confident on a 4 string, then, if you feel your creativity is a bit stifled, explore the 5 string only then. My opinion only...

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Thanks for the info. I have been playing for about a year and I read. I am currently using a 4 string Fender Jazz Bass made in Mexico. I want to get my own EB and start on UB, I am looking to buying one soon. My hand size is normal to slightly larger.

I disagree on technique being the key to the sloppy low B. The bass and amp are the keys. I have not played a sub-$800-1000 bass with a tight low end in a 5 string model.

4 String

Price range is the key to the decision. Decide what you can spend on the rig. buy the best bass you can. Don't stress too much on the amp unless you have a gig in mind already.

I think it is hard to beat Carvin and Peavey for great, cheap basses. I see a lot of younger playes with those Ernie Ball Bongo basses, and I have yet to play a good one, though I have only sampled the ones at Guitar Center. You can get the American Jazz or P basses for under a grand if you look around.

I found a left over Peavey American Millenium bass at a local shop for $500.00. It was a $1500 ish list when new. The thing is awesome. Don't confuse it with the ones you will see on the net for under $500. These are Korean. Totally different animal.

Archived