Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Be Good, BUY the BAND AID Single

www.bandaid20.com

Go on, even if you don't like the song, it's for a good cause.

If you are in any doubt, read the "Message" page at www.bandaid20.com

You can also pay for a Download at that page. If you really don't want to pay for the song but you do want to help, you can make a donation at that page.

The CD single includes the new "Band Aid 20" version aswell as the original 1984 version and also the "Do They Know It's Christmas?" performance from Live Aid in 1985.

Go on, help those less fortunate than yourself.

If anyone would like a CD shipped over, let me know and we can work something out.

John Scott

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno Blackfish, but I don't know you.

Are you hungry? Are you warm? Are you safe? Are you healthy? Do you have something to look forward to tomorrow?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, then my answer to your question is yes.

Base - I know what you mean and I expect a lot of other people will be saying the same thing (what were they thinking!?!?) I'm glad you're making a donation, good on ya!

I'm all for helping out a good cause and all, but when I saw this website I (seriously!) thought it was a parody.

It's so vague and general and FEED THE HUNGRY... CURE THE WORLD.... STARVING AFRICANS.... REINDEERS...

Did you know, by the way, that there's more than enough food on the planet to feed every creature many times over? Problems with hunger are rooted in distribution and politics.

Dooby Dooby Doo

I know what you mean Duddits. The picture with the Reindeers is the front cover of the CD single, incase you didn't guess. There is more information about the charities out there, I just linked to the main page, which I agree is not as detailed as it should be.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out.

Yes, I did know that fact, it's shocking isn't it.

Christmas and starving people? Tell Bill Gates to send his money to them or some other billionaire. I just feel I should help folks locally and these big mass guilt-trip world PR things are just another way for us to feel instead of think.

Think of a way to cut the military budgets and send food, where is the rock-star doing that? :bor:

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

I give to the Salvation Army and Good Will all through the year, I also help people get connected to help, for instance me being an apartment manager I knew of a tenant that wanted to get rid of a car, so I knew someone-else who needed one badly as a matter of survival and made it happen. I also donate a lot of free time to musicians who need studio time for demos.

So maybe that's my feeling and belief, just reach out you're hand and there are people to help everywhere. The big-time PR entertainment system bandwagon is not my gig, especially when I have to look at christmas card advertisements with starving children in them, that is just plain fucked-up. Attach your christmas holiday to the starving, why??????? They have all year to do that, I don't need the guilt, it has no purpose when you ruin my holiday with this begging to make me feel good.

Why don't these people go to the government and take care of these things, why because they are energy vampires, who want you to feel like shit for the christmas season, get it yet????? :wave:

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Originally posted by pseudonym:

I give to the Salvation Army and Good Will all through the year, I also help people get connected to help, for instance me being an apartment manager I knew of a tenant that wanted to get rid of a car, so I knew someone-else who needed one badly as a matter of survival and made it happen. I also donate a lot of free time to musicians who need studio time for demos.

So maybe that's my feeling and belief, just reach out you're hand and there are people to help everywhere. The big-time PR entertainment system bandwagon is not my gig, especially when I have to look at christmas card advertisements with starving children in them, that is just plain fucked-up. Attach your christmas holiday to the starving, why??????? They have all year to do that, I don't need the guilt, it has no purpose when you ruin my holiday with this begging to make me feel good.

Why don't these people go to the government and take care of these things, why because they are energy vampires, who want you to feel like shit for the christmas season, get it yet????? :wave:

I don't necessarily get it or agree with it, but I see where you are coming from. I was more interested in your comment on feeling versus thinking where my perception was you felt feeling was a second rate thing compared to thinking. ;)

Originally posted by pseudonym:

Tell Bill Gates to send his money to them or some other billionaire.

.... Think of a way to cut the military budgets and send food, where is the rock-star doing that? :bor:

As twisted as it may seem, Bill Gates has done far more for Africa than all the rock stars lined up from here to CBGBs. His Gates foundation, one of the richest in the world, has done huge things in the fight against disease in Africa and other less-developed nations.

Contrast that with the aging English rock stars. Despite all the hype, parties, recordings, videos, quaint arrangements and endless PLATE REVERBS, how many starving little naked Africans (like the one on their website that looks lifted straight out of "Southpark") do they really help?

And why can't they find one that isn't naked for the website? As an animal, myself, I find it oddly ironic that the organization de-humanizes and infantalizes the subject of their charity, portraying Africans as helpless and childlike little animals, something between a whale and a tribble.

Beyond the slogan, there are few details. "Feed The World." Great. And.... Are they going to buy sacks of sweet potatos and send them to Rwanda, where they will rot at the airport because bribes were inneffective at opening up distribution channels that never existed? And what is the ratio of fish eggs consumed at parties in connection with the recording to Africans fed as a result of it?

From the website: "For the poor, the hungry, the sick and mute, the weak and tired, the beaten down and trod upon, the innocent and the dying."

So who are they gonna help (everyone in Botswana? everyone in Newark, New Jersey)? What are they gonna do (hand out Kit Kats? Advils)? And how many mutes?

I believe Quincy Jones just did something with his Listen Up Foundation and the World Bank to raise money through music in order to help children in war zones. Money raised will largely fund health care and education. That seems a little more legit than the annual attempt by aging English rockers to resuscitate their carreers on the backs of naked little African tribbles.

Dooby Dooby Doo

Well, HERE\'S some info on how it raises money. I haven't looked at the web site for the single but the trust has been around since the original recording 20 odd years ago. Yeah, we can get cynical about how they are doing it for their careers (unfortunately backed up by Bono/his PR people insisting he sings on it. Just as U2's new CD comes out), but at least they are doing something...
Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Originally posted by Base:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4054539.stm

I am torn, I don't think I can bring myself to buy it unless they shoot the guy rapping!!!

I will make a donation tho...

Dizzy Rascal you mean!

I wont buy it as its nothing compared to the original but I will mae a contribution but not to Band Aide 2 but towards an extra something for my sponsored kids in Rawanda and India.

I just think that this is over rated and over played and if anything, there should have been a new track written to help this cause, not rehash the great original.

Sorry,sounds cold but I wont be buying it when I know theres a direct route to kids and families in Africa getting food, education and peice of mind and thats the way I have donated for many years to Plan International.

Originally posted by Base:

Well, HERE\'S some info on how it raises money. I haven't looked at the web site for the single but the trust has been around since the original recording 20 odd years ago. Yeah, we can get cynical about how they are doing it for their careers (unfortunately backed up by Bono/his PR people insisting he sings on it. Just as U2's new CD comes out), but at least they are doing something...

Thanks for the link.

Report after report suggests that external efforts to "feed Africans" are frustrated by internal obstacles. It may make us feel and look good, but evaluations of actual program implementation are depressingly bleak. Warring factions, corruption, lack of distribution -- these problems prevent starving people from getting fed no matter how many cans of Campbells soup are sent from abroad.

The "Scared Straight" program in the U.S., in which criminals scream about the reality of prison to high-risk kids in order to persuade them to "go straight" is another charity that received a lot of attention and hype, yet turned out to be ineffective. Another good idea, but it just didn't work.

The idea of "feeding the starving Africans" is a nice idea. You can't not like it. But I'm not sure that it works.

Perhaps it's not that big a deal. People like the song, they buy it, it makes them feel good, all the power to them.

Because I spend a good deal of time and money on "charitable causes," I've become a little hyper-vigilant about what's real and what's not real. I'm all for supporting charity, but want to make sure that it's for things that work.

Dooby Dooby Doo

For those, like me, torn between wanting to help a worthy cause and not wanting to encourage even more drivel being played constantly on the radio, HERE is the possible solution...!

(Tho in seriousness, I'm not even going to buy it for this, I'll give money directly to a worthy cause instead, or possibly buy the Band Aid DVD)....

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Archived