Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question about power conditioners, voltage, etc . . .

Is it OK to daisy chain power conditioners?

Also, how much juice (power ;) ) does the average home studio consume? I mean once you start powering keyboards, amps, electric drums, effects, computers, etc, there should be a somewhat substantial increase on the power bill, eh?

Amateur Hack

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good question. I'm pretty sure that the PC at the studio downtown is getting dangerously close to its max. I know we need another one to take some of the load. I figure that daisy chaining them might not be the best idea, as it will still create quite a load on your first one. I'm guessing that running them parallel might be a better option, splitting the load between them.

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

I just like orange.

No other crap in it, just orange.

(Sorry, I don't have a serious answer. I'd guess and say that parallel is the way to go.)

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Originally posted by Ouizel:

I just like orange.

No other crap in it, just orange.

Hey, for breakfast, pure OJ is the drink of choice for me(that and a fresh cup of java). No crazy hybrid frelled up flavours - just OJ. The rest of the day, anything goes!

Cheers!

Spencer

Originally posted by shniggens:

Duh, I forgot how I titled the thread. :D

:freak:

Well, now your answers are just pretty silly, aren't they!??!?! ;)

Fine, change the subject - see if I care :D:P

Although I do hope that I did help you with my first response.....

Cheers!

Spencer

Is it OK to daisy chain power conditioners?

Also, how much juice (power ;) ) does the average home studio consume? I mean once you start powering keyboards, amps, electric drums, effects, computers, etc, there should be a somewhat substantial increase on the power bill, eh?

I have two 15 amp AC circuits in my music studio.

Furman, for example, offers a 15 amp power conditioner ( clonk ) which would be adaquate for one of these 15 amp circuits. So I wouldn't need to daisy-chain any power conditioners.

Regarding power usage: Well, you could add up the listed power consumption of your devices and get a good idea of usage from that.... :cool:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Daisy chaining can create a power hazard.

Check the current carrying capability of your circuit, then make sure your load on that circuit does not exceed this.

Use separate outlets on different circuits (breakers) if possible.

Also, remember to cut my check for $17,763.32

NYC Drew

Originally posted by forceman:

[QBRegarding power usage: Well, you could add up the listed power consumption of your devices and get a good idea of usage from that.... :cool: [/QB]

That would be smart thing to do. Add up the draw of all of the devices that run at the same time. Chances are, it will be less than you think. If the consumption is shown in watts, remember the formula: volts x amps = watts.

Serious studios, like my pal Paul du Gre's uses a specific dedicated line clean power thing about the size of a microwave.

We other folks, have normally a 15 amp circuit, which can be less than clean and can settle down wierdies by use of Furman or more esoterics to manage the ebb and flow.

It would take quite a few dangles, to absorb the 15 amp load, generally however.

If we are talking typical project studio, that would be quite a bit of gear, including amps etc.

Since some power amps are desigend for 20 amp use, then it may be a good idea to ask the utility, how much for a load applicable line.

Just as long as the cops don't think your growin pot.

FWIW.

R

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

Cool, thanks for the responses.

I am not going to daisy chain them. I will use different outlets for each conditioner, but unfortunately, I can't use different breakers.

:wave:

Different outlets are not really going to make any difference if they are on the same breaker insofar as load is concerned, but that's certainly better than daisy chaining the power strips / conditioner.

You should add up the draw of all the gear you have. A 15 amp circuit has a safe limit of 1875 watts. If you exceed that, you're going to trip the breaker and / or have a fire hazard on your hands. Remember, that's per CIRCUIT, not per OUTLET.

When I had the studio construction going, I had them install a seperate 100 amp panel, with lots of different circuits, so that lighting was on a different breaker than computers, which are on a different breaker than the audio stuff, etc. I've never regretted that decision.

Most modern home and project studio gear is fairly light on the power consumption. Many wall warts are in the 6-18 watt range. The biggest power hogs in most home studios are CRT monitors (LCD's give off less heat and interference and draw a LOT less power), computers (I'm running three in the studio, each with a 200 - 400 Watt PS), and power amplifiers. If you're running a large reel to reel, they're pretty big power users too... ditto large format analog desks... but if you have the money for an old Neve, the paying for the power to juice it and AC to cool it are probably not major concerns for you. :)

When in doubt about power issues, play it safe and consult a professional electrician. IMO, it's just not worth taking the risks.

Most power strips are rated at 15A...and most have a built in breaker.

So...if you dasy-chain...15-->15-->15-->15-->15...

...well, you get the idea.

BUT...it really will also depend on where you plug all of them into.

Most rooms in homes will have 2-3 outlets and they all are tied to the same 15A line/breaker.

In heavy duty rooms like kitchens...you will find some 20A lines/breakers.

You have to trace it all out in order to see what is the best way...and then you may want/need to run extra lines to your studio.

I have 4 dedicated 20A lines/breakers.

Two are for my all of my rack gear. I have two 20A Juice Goose Omega 20 voltage regulators/line conditioners (one on each 20A line) that provide clean power to all my gear.

Third 20A line covers the other studio wall outlets.

4th 20A line takes care of the all the studio lighting.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I don't think this was mentioned, but if adding another breaker, keep it on the same service leg as the first breaker. Most homes have a 220v service. In my setup, I have all 'quiet' loads (studio, [non-dimmer]lights, TV/home entertainment, computers) on one 117v leg, and all 'noisy' loads (refrigerator, furnace motor, garage doors) on the other 117v leg. By doing this, you minimize pops and noises generated by motors. A solid service ground is also a must.

Paul

WUDAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!!

Hmmm....I asked an electrician about that...

...and he said it really wouldn't matter much, because both legs share the neutral...and ground...

...and that you would need a seperate line/transformer from the street to avoid those problems...?

The one thing I was told (don't know if it is also true) is to place your studio breakers at the top of the breaker stack...so that they are the closest to the Main breaker...?

So now...I have my studio breakers like that...the two rack gear 20A's on one leg...and the two outlets/lighting 20A's on the the other leg...all at the top.

And so far...with the two Juice Goose voltage regulators/line conditioners...nock-on-wood...

...I've not had any electrical probelms!!!

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

No! It's a bad thing. Same as cascading power strips and extension cords, except the stress on the conditioner circuit (if using LC filters) is worse.

Probably wouldn't hurt the el cheapo surge protectors (they use MOVs, which prevent over-voltage from reaching your equipment). Still not good.

It's better to 'star' everything from a single AC source when possible:

(ignore the periods, they're there to make the sketch work)

..........conditioner1 ---> equip.

......../

source - - conditioner2 ---> more equip.

........\

.........conditioner3 ---> even more equipment

Well I only need two conditioners, but I have a guitar amp, speaker amp, headphone amp, Motu 828, vocal harmonizer, vocal effects processor, synth, midi patch bay, electric drums, computer, and two LCD monitors running off of the same breaker.

An electrician will be at my house shortly, as I am getting AC installed in my house today. :D

I will ask him what he thinks.

Thanks for all the info!

I've never noticed any sags in the power, though.

Amateur Hack

Archived