Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HOLY S%!#T this is evil!!

I thought I'd seen it all on the Internet, but I'm sitting here staring at my computer with a stunned look on my face.

I received the following email a few minutes ago:

#######Someone is researching you#######

Attention - An individual at our website is sharing Opinions and Information regarding you via our website.

Why did we send you this email?

When people find out others are talking about them, whether it is good or bad, they usually want to know. We feel that is is our responsibility to try to inform subjects so they have an opportunity to find out what is being said.

To examine all of the requests regarding you use this link:

I didn't actually click the link, as it contained my email address etc. and I don't click anything that could be a data mining site - which I figured this was. I just typed the home URL into my browser instead, which was:

https://shareyourexperiences.com

Basically, what this site does is allows people to post their "experiences" with other people - whether professional, personal or what have you. In other words, anybody can defame you. You do not have to pay to do a search that tells you whether anyone has or is looking for information about you, OR to post that you either have, or are looking for, information about someone else. However, in order to actually communicate with the person who posted the "request" and find out who they are and what they have to say about you, you have to pay.

So what they are doing to "get the ball rolling" is they are obviously creating their own posts saying they have info about you, and then sending people an email "notifying" them that someone is researching them... and you have to pay to find out who it is and what information they are offering. :eek::eek:

You also have no recourse (according to them) in asking that your name or email be removed from their database. This is a quote directly from their FAQ (you really should read the whole FAQ, it's astounding):

You have no right to demand that your identifying information be removed from this website. Any of your identifying information found at this website was put there by one of this website's users. We are under no obligation to remove this information, and doing so would defeat this whole purpose of this website.

We know that some individuals do not like the idea of people talking about them behind their back, but the simple matter of fact is that people have the right to talk about you whenever and wherever they choose.

Our website is not subject to privacy-related laws that regulate banks and credit reporting companies. See our Legal Issues and Answers Page. Please do not send us email saying that your attorney told you that we had to take your identifying information off of this website, because we have studied US law back and forth as it relates to this website and we know this not to be the case. Any attorney that tells you this is simply misinformed.

:eek: The thing is, they are most likely right! I'm no lawyer, but I can't think of any current law that would prevent people from privately sharing information about each other. Because they don't post the actual information publicly, I suppose this lets them off the hook.

When I searched on my email address, sure enough they'd created two entries. One said that someone "had information" about me and it was of a "professional" nature. The other said someone was "looking for information" about me who "knew me very well currently." They did not have my actual name, only my email address, so it's pretty obvious the entries are fakes. But 1) a lot of people will probably be duped into signing up for this dubious "service" by the spam email, and 2) although the current entries are fakes, there is no reason why in the future they would NOT be fake, and anyone would be able to slander anyone behind their backs and you'd have to pay to find out what they're saying!!

Are these people the most blatantly evil scum OR WHAT??? There has GOT to be some law that can be used to bring them down - extortion maybe? Holy cow.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a feeling that they are not exempt from libel laws. It's one thing to post a legal disclaimer, it's another to defend it in court.

I think the thing to do would be to find out the names of the corporate officers (Just need to find out the state they're registered in and check with the state attorney general) and post something nasty about them on their own site.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

whois shows:

Domain name: shareyourexperiences.com

Registrant:

JOHN TORREY (399PU) JOHN.TORREY@SHAREYOUREXPERIENCES.COM

SHAREYOUREXPERIENCES.COM

2711 CENTERVILLE ROAD, SUITE 120

WILMINGTON, DELAWARE 19808

United States

Phone: +1 (516)2148365

Here an credible admin has documented spam domains (Note: the following link is not the problem - he is just reporting the spam domains with some detail.)

http://www.joewein.de/sw/spam-syex.htm

Delaware's reporting requirements for corporations are less restrictive than other states. Two clearinghouse companies for corporate registration work out of the building on Centerville Road. The State of New York warned about this and related sites in June of 2003.

Well, one consolation, though it will take time.

Enough people are going to get burned & complain. Once the thing gets big enough there will be investigations & action taken. Will it help much? probably not. It is, however, illegal to slander or libel anyone. That would be defensable in a court of law.

Now, if the things being said behind your back were true, that's just a tough spot to be in.

The people that make undue statements have the right to express those statements or views but they also have right, and requirment to suffer any adverse consequences to another from their statements or views.

Essentilly, if I stand on a soapbox and falsely denigrate Lee Flyer in public I could and should be held accountable. Same thing here.

Now the people running the site may be able to slide for awhile but there could be the old "providing the means and accessibility" responsibilty defensed and they could also be abetting before and after the fact.

It would certainly depend to a point on whether the instigators are in the US or some area where the rules and laws are different.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

aside from the fact that the site really doesn't do what it says it does (it's obviously spam in search of bucks), there is an entity that successfully does just what this one claims to do:

the internet.

anyone can say anything they like about anybody, and you really can't do all that much to stop them.

Interested in what people are saying about you? Google your name and find out.

And it's free!!!

Dooby Dooby Doo

Almost sounds like blackmale to me.

Robert

How can you tell he's a black male?

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Originally posted by Hendmik:

Almost sounds like blackmale to me.

Robert

How can you tell he's a black male?
Oops. :cool:

Well, if he was white some big corporation would have already hired him as a security consultant to teach their employees how not to get scammed.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Myshell:

I hope they don't find those scandalous compromising photos/video of me...oops, did I just say that out loud...

Myshell

Point us in the right direction, and we'll be on the lookout for 'em.

Just doing my part, you know. Of course, some close scrutiny of said photos might be in order, just to make sure they're the right ones, you understand.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Duddits:

aside from the fact that the site really doesn't do what it says it does (it's obviously spam in search of bucks), there is an entity that successfully does just what this one claims to do:

the internet.

anyone can say anything they like about anybody, and you really can't do all that much to stop them.

And it's free!!!

Absolutely Duddits. It's the "trying to extort money from people in order to find out what 'people' are saying about them," that's the evil part.

What would also be evil is if "they" send false information to people who ask for information about you, which they can do anonymously, and the people who paid for that information actually use it to make decisions about you.

Hopefully no one in a position of making important decisions about you would be dumb enough to pay for this type of service, although potential employers (and sometimes potential dating partners etc.) already often pay for credit checks, background checks and other such things. Hopefully, again such people won't be dumb enough to use this "service" as if it were a reputable source of information - and if they want to know what "people are saying" they will simply (as you say) use Google instead!

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Lee, I've been sent the exact same thing, from the exact same company. I think it's pretty scummy too. :mad:

Maybe they're singling out Moderators....you know...those guys and gals with all the power and big buck$ ;):D

Seriously...that is a Big Pile Of You Know What...and unfortunately people will fall for it!

Lynn G

Maybe they're singling out Moderators....you know...those guys and gals with all the power and big buck$

Naw, since they share the same brain, Phil is having a phantom experience of the same thing.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

the internet.

And it's free!!!

Absolutely Duddits. It's the "trying to extort money from people in order to find out what 'people' are saying about them," that's the evil part.
Absolutely Lee!

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

What would also be evil is if "they" send false information to people who ask for information about you, which they can do anonymously, and the people who paid for that information actually use it to make decisions about you.

It's enough to make you want to change species.
Dooby Dooby Doo

Originally posted by phaeton:

Maybe they're singling out Moderators....you know...those guys and gals with all the power and big buck$

Naw, since they share the same brain, Phil is having a phantom experience of the same thing.

Power? Edit, delete and lock posts and threads... and set the rules and overall "tone" of the forum... beyond that, probably not much. :)

Big bucks? LOL! Now THAT'S funny! :D

Same brain? Can't argue with that one... ;):D

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Big bucks? LOL! Now THAT'S funny! :D

Yeah it is!

Say... maybe that's what "they" (the people who are looking for information about us on this site) are up to - they want to find us so they can award us the millions of dollars that are sitting in our names in a Nigerian bank! Yeah, that's it!

Lee,

when I read "sharing...information about you" I instantly thought social security number? Bank account info? Do they mention this anywhere in the FAQ?

Me and my two dogs, Remington and Winchester

the internet.

And it's free!!!

I watched a show on tv the other day about what's happening to our children because of Internet gossip. It used to be that school gossip spread by word and was limited in reach. Bullys had to pick on you physically. Now, rumours and false gossip are being spread via the Internet and chat sites. Our school age kids have to deal with widespread lies in a volume that we could only imagine.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Archived