Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Super JX’s don’t age …

Sundown

3 hours ago, brenner13 said:

There are menu parameters to simulate analog fluctuations. Smaller settings bring the JX08 to life with beautiful nuance. High settings make it sound in desperate need of calibration that would never actually happen with DCO’s.

It's not about that at all: it's about how the oscillators are produced with some phasing issue.

Kurzweil K2500XS + KDFX, Roland: JX-3P, JX-8P, Korg: Polysix, DW-8000, Alesis Micron, DIY Analogue Modular

That phasing is because of the stock, near-perfect tuning. Introduce the slightest modulation with the “analog feel” parameters and the phasing becomes much more random and alive.

The Oscillators in my JX10  have this same “perfect-tune-phasing” going on, too as is inherent being Digitally Controlled. Ya gotta detune them a tiny bit to make ‘em sing. Heck, phasing oscillators is what the Super JX excels at. My favorite patches are ones with that slow sweeping tunage phase combined with that smooth filter sweep.

10 hours ago, brenner13 said:

That phasing is because of the stock, near-perfect tuning. Introduce the slightest modulation with the “analog feel” parameters and the phasing becomes much more random and alive.

The Oscillators in my JX10  have this same “perfect-tune-phasing” going on, too as is inherent being Digitally Controlled. Ya gotta detune them a tiny bit to make ‘em sing. Heck, phasing oscillators is what the Super JX excels at. My favorite patches are ones with that slow sweeping tunage phase combined with that smooth filter sweep.

Again, it's not and has nothing to do with 'analog feel' either.

Kurzweil K2500XS + KDFX, Roland: JX-3P, JX-8P, Korg: Polysix, DW-8000, Alesis Micron, DIY Analogue Modular

On 9/16/2024 at 9:17 AM, Matthiola said:

I've owned a JX-10. Sure, it's very limited compared to modern synths and plug-ins. But... that sound. If you ever have the chance to play a super JX, dial in the 'Breathing Brass' patch and play some nice extended chords. It's so lush, warm, organic, I've never heard anything like that again in any modern synth. My Fantom 7 EX has a decent JX8p emulation but it is nowhere near the creaminess of the JX10. I believe a large part of its magic is in the analog chorus. 

I agree completely..! The JX is unique. I’ve owned versions of it for nearly 20 years, settling with an MKS-70 with Vecoven and PWM and an MPG-70. It’s a monster of a synth..!

• Like 1

I still have a JX10, bought it brand new in probably 1986. I haven't turned it on in years. It had the problem that was mentioned before where the keys would either sound a full volume or not sound at all, but midi into it worked fine. I need to bring it upstairs to my music room and see if it fires up. At the least, I could sample some of the sounds for my Nords. 

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

On 9/15/2024 at 6:12 AM, analogika said:

I loved the action on my JX10. The synth itself wasn't quite as bloody useless after I installed the Vecoven upgrade, either. 

That Vecoven update is pretty amazing (from what I’ve read)… I love that a third party (and probably just one individual) rewrote instructions and code for an old, proprietary synth. The list of updates/added features is impressive.

Todd

Sundown

Finished: Gateway,  The Jupiter Bluff,  Condensation

Working on: Driven Away, Eighties Crime Thriller

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

On 9/15/2024 at 6:32 AM, analogika said:

I suppose that wasn't "cutting corners" in a sense, though, rather than just not finishing the work once it became clear that, as Roland's last analog synth, the machine was largely irrelevant for a market that had just gone entirely digital in a hurry. 

I feel like the same thing happened with the D-70 (which was going to be a U-70, per the PCB markings). I jonesed for months when news of a new D-series synth surfaced, but it never lived up to the hype. It was really sloppy … Multi-samples that didn’t cover the full key range, etc. It had four sliders, a large LCD, a 76-key action, and it was the first Roland with ROM multisamples that could be filtered with resonance, but it could have been a lot more. I feel like it was rushed and never finished.

Todd

Sundown

On 9/15/2024 at 11:37 AM, analogika said:

Also, I never got the hang of having the two tones to a program, and knowing that editing a program meant editing the tones, which would then affect all programs that happened to use that tone… not that I didn't understand that, but… I invariably ended up preferring the JX-8P with its single layer = PG-800 editor interface, and multitracking it when I needed more. 

That’s what made the JD-800 so remarkable at the time, and what made the Korg Wavestation practically impossible … The JD-800 was the first digital synth I can recall (certainly the first Roland) that stored the tone data at the patch level. If you changed the tones within a patch, it didn’t affect other patches that used copies of that data. With the Wavestation, so much data was shared (and the edit buffers were s%#t) that any change big or small could screw up countless other patches/Performances. It was a nightmare … 

Todd

• Like 1

Sundown