Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland Juno 106 - still worth buying?

BernMeister

Long before any of us knew what EDM was, I recall suddenly hitting the Hoover sound for a roomful of stoned pals. Everyone sprayed fluids. It rivaled my first resonant Moog duck fart. Every synth has a couple of sounds that belong under a button labeled Goofy. Great instrument.

"Let there be dancing in the streets,
   drinking in the saloons and
    necking in the parlors! Play, Don!"
       ~ Groucho Marx    

15 hours ago, TomKittel said:

we should not compare apples and peaches. an alpha juno is no mini-moog (although i have pretty authentic “moog leads” programmed on mine), it's no prophet or oberheim either. but it has a unique Roland sound that i couldn't reproduce with my prophet 6, my rev2 or my matrix 1000. it's just a totally underrated, fat sounding analog synthesizer. not wimpy at all. and you can still find it for the price of a vst or you can buy 10 of them for the ridiculous price of a juno 106 which the OP had asked for. 

I actually owned an Alpha Juno 2 for a little while back in the 80s when they first came out.  Didn’t do much for me - I way preferred my JX8P.

With me, as with some others in this thread, it’s more about programming flexibility; specifically (for the most part) the ability to detune two oscillators for controllable fatness, the ability to combine multiple octaves, and the ability to use and mix multiple waveforms. My Mini schooled me to think that way.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

22 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

I actually owned an Alpha Juno 2 for a little while back in the 80s when they first came out.  Didn’t do much for me.  way preferred my JX8P.

With me, as with some others in this thread, it’s more about programming flexibility; specifically (for the most part) the ability to detune two oscillators for controllable fatness, the ability to combine multiple octaves, and the ability to use and mix multiple waveforms. My Mini schooled me to think that way.

dB

It’s all about sound, be it 1, 2, 3 or more oscillators, isn’t it? 😉

• Love 1

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)