Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is this a thing?

Hi, keyboard friends:
I'm a percussionist in a small acoustic group and I'm looking for a small, basic keyboard that I can have on the side of my setup, to (very) occasionally add some texture or sounds  to a few songs. The closest ones I've seen are the midi keyboards like the Akai Professional Mpk Mini Play, but they seem to be set up to run through a computer or iPad - not as an independent instrument.

My dream keyboard would:

-Have no more than two octaves, 
-Have good basic onboard sound choices like piano, organ, bells, etc., and maybe more.
-Have a line-out that can go directly into the PA, in the same way a microphone or instrument does, 
-Have a power cord  (not exclusively battery-operated or USB, etc.).
-Be budget-friendly.
Bonus points if it has a headphone jack and/or speaker for practicing.

Any thoughts?

The first thing that comes to mind is to look for a used Korg Micro-X. Though since it has a good number of controls to the left of the keys, it's not necessarily narrower than some 3 octave keyboards, so it might still be too big for you. There may also be some 3 octave boards with mini-keys that could work which could be another way to keep that width down.

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

You have asked keyboard players. When we think of piano or organ sounds we think of instruments to be played. Actively played as main instruments.

But as keyboard players we also use keyboards to create alternate sounds. Pads. Rhythmic ostinatos. Ambient sounds. Sounds to be programmed more than played.

I’m intrigued by your direction. The state of the technology today is that standalone keyboards tend to be focused on the “playing’ side.

Which is why I recommend considering a MIDI keyboard controller paired with an iPad. The software based sounds extend orders of magnitude further than any keyboard can provide. They are truly future proof.

I think you're going to have to make some choices.  There are short keyboards with full size keys, but they're generally midi controllers.  Self-contained instruments usually start at 61 keys because the assumption is that you'll be playing with both hands.  Many of smaller boards are aimed at the play-at-home crowd, and don't have gigging features like dedicated line out, real power cord, support for multiple pedals and so on.

If you're willing to split the headphone output for FOH input, there are a number of fun, pleasant-sounding (and low cost) products out there.  One example is the Roland GO:KEYS which gives you access to Roland's extensive sound library -- but there are others.

You didn't mention budget -- ??

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

The overkill option would be a MPC Key 37. ;) But AnotherScott's recommendation of the MicroX is probably the way to go if the budget is tight.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Two octaves of full size keys makes me immediately think of something like the Novation Bass Station.  Capable of more than bass sounds, but its a synth, not a sample player, so you're not going to get realistic pianos etc.  Also, it'd be monophonic, i.e. no=t capable of playing chords.  But depending what you want this to do this might work for you.

Also, as a completely different idea, have you considered an electronic drum multi-pad instead of a keyboard ?  These often include bread-and-butter keyboard sounds, not just electronic drums.

-- Jimbo

The MicroX was released in 2007. I'd be dubious about buying a synth that's 17 years old.

Its hard to find a workstation-like mix of sounds in that size. It also depends on your budget. Your options jump if you can handle 3 octaves.

The Arturia MiniFreak is about $600, but synth-y far more than offering pianos, etc.

Roland's GAIA 2 is an $800 VA and wavetable synth, but probably short on traditional sounds you need.

Roland's Jupiter-Xm is a powerhouse, but at $1699 or so, likely too pricey. 

The King Korg NEO is about $999. Its a VA with some decent basics like EPs.

I have a Novation MiniNova, about $450. Its a VA/wavetable-like beast, but with some nice organs, pads and EPs.

I beefed it up with a wad of these

https://www.ultimatepatches.com/synth-patches-presets/novation-mininova/novation-mininova-patches-presets.html

and it features some impressive guitars, near-pianos and the like. Uses a wall-wart, but has solid jacks, including headphone and line out, plus a comfy display.

You may locate something you like better, or an irresistible deal, but dig into the MiniNova. It seems to cover most of your basics fairly well.

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

Thanks for the responses so far.
Since I don't want to haul a lot of extra gear, I'm trying not to involve a laptop or iPad.
Since I want something smallish that's plug & play with decent, basic sounds and an audio output that can go to the PA, it may be that the thing I'm looking for doesn't exist.
Some of the two-octave MIDI controllers, like the Akai MPK Mini Play, are the right size, and some of the synths mentioned above sound like they would be cool, but don't have the other things I'd like.  
It seems that if I'm going to do this, I might have to give up the idea of a two-octave keyboard and just go with a bigger unit, like a Yamaha portable keyboard.

53 minutes ago, JohnnyJohnnyGumdrops said:

It seems that if I'm going to do this, I might have to give up the idea of a two-octave keyboard and just go with a bigger unit, like a Yamaha portable keyboard.

Yamaha MX49 is probably the smallest option. You mention piano, organ & bells so it sounds like you want a romper rather than a digital synth.  The only alternative I know of is the already mentioned second hand Korg MicroX

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

13 hours ago, Brad Kaenel said:

Korg Triton TAKTILE 25

We have a winner! I knew about the Triton Taktile, but didn't know/forgot about the 25. That fits the (somewhat unusual) brief perfectly.

Personally, I'd go for a Taktile 49 or MX49 instead.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2