Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Herbie Hancock - 'Headhunters' 50th Anniversary Concert, Hollywood Bowl

https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/events/performances/2958/2024-08-14/herbie-hancock-head-hunters-50th

Anyone going to this show on Wednesday? I know there's some folks in the Southern California area here, and even some people who are willing to travel, since this is a one-night-only kind of thing (Herbie is reuniting with the original Headhunters lineup (with Marcus Miller subbing for the late Paul Jackson on bass)). It's not sold out, so I was able to get my tix today.

Same here. Really wish I could have made it out there for the 50th anniversary reunion show. Figured the Rhodes and clav will be onstage.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Sure wish I could of made it to that show.    Marcus is good choice to sub for Paul Jackson, but would of been nice to have Mike Clark as well as HArvey Mason on drums.    That is one of the legendary albums and bands so many great memories of my group of musician friends and I sitting and listening to that album over and over blown away by the grooves.   

I saw the 1990’s reunion tour, with Paul Jackson and Mike Clarke, and it was a riveting show, deep funk grooves with a Coltrane-like intensity in Herbie and Maupin’s solos. I’m sure this show is going to be spectacular. 

But I gotta say, the “weird stuff” he did with the Mwandishi band was pretty freaking amazing as well. Sextant remains one of my all-time favorite albums. 

• Like 2

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Wish I could be there. Great to see Herbie back on one of his Rhodes again after all this time. As far as I am concerned he is the GOAT when it comes to Rhodes- he had a totally unique voice on it, and a language that was quite different compared to his piano playing. He also redefined clavinet playing too.

Had the pleasure of spending the best part of a day with him a year or so ago, was a wonderful experience! He's one increible human being. I also agree, would have been great to have Mike Clark AND Harvey on the respective tunes they played one- i.e. Mike on Actual Proof, and Harvey on Chameleon. I hope you guys have checked out all the wonderful bootlegs with Herbie, Paul, Bil, Bennie and Mike from back in the day...

Have a great time everyone that's going! Looking foward to seeing the footage. 

• Like 1

Chief Product Officer at Rhodes®. Project leader and designer of the Rhodes MK8 piano and V8 Plug-in.  

21 minutes ago, jerrythek said:

The picture I posted doesn't show the whole band, but Julian Pollack (JP3O) is on 2nd keys. Nice gig for him!

Seems strange they didn't have Terrace Martin he had that gig with Herbie pre-covid. 

Marcus Miller is serving as music director for the gig and Julian has played in Marcus’ band for a while. I love Terrace too but I think Julian is a better call for copping those classic ARP patches and dealing with the intricacies of Headhunters music.

• Like 1

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

nicer and nicer night. had to come, even if solo. bit magical herbie's been recording since early 60's, and still a kid at the piano. nice to be amongst a full, engaged bowl. 

this 2nd half, head hunters 2026. 

Lionel Loueke, guitar! 

Herbie's face, entranced, as Lionel got a looping bit going. 

Julian Pollack did good. 

Footprints: groove under gtr solo- deep. 

2nd half. Philosophically head hunters. Today/tomorrow. 

Bassist and his looper! sweet music. 

herbie so good with keytar bends 

Stuck midi note - roadie save.

chameleon 

to end it 

both bands 

soccer team worth

2 bassists 

• Like 2

For all the gearspotters! 

Herbie's rig: 

Hohner D6 Clavinet
Fender Rhodes Stage 88
Fazioli grand piano
Korg Kronos2 88
Roland AX-Edge remote controller

Herbie also had a laptop behind him that had a DAW screen, but obviously there were no backing tracks in this show. He might have used it as a plugin host for his Roland AX-Edge.

Julian Pollack's rig:

Sequential Prophet Rev2
Clavia Nord Stage 4

20240814_201836.jpg

20240814_210557.jpg

20240814_201858.jpg

20240814_222142.jpg

• Like 1

Man, this would’ve been amazing. Herbie is my biggest idol and inspiration, to see this almost-complete album lineup together again would’ve been killer. (Although I can’t stand Loueke and his synth sounds, sorry!)

I hope some video surfaces. How were Mason and Maupin? 

I know Marcus Miller has done the HH gig many times before, but I always thought it was an odd pairing - his style is so different from Paul Jackson. I suppose he is a bit of a (pun) chameleon, though. 

Was there last night. Pretty f'ing great concert. The Head Hunters are, not unexpectedly, a little less energetic than they were in the 70s. But still great. And his current band is pretty amazing (esp. the drummer, but all are great). One of the best concerts I've been to in my life.

• Like 1

Herbie's band is always top notch. Audio isn't the greatest but here's Actual Proof that Mr. Hancock is still at the top of his game.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"