Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Haven't Seen a Guitar Quite Like This Before

Anderton

Maybe I just lead a sheltered life and people do this all the time, but I thought this was an interesting approach - an 8-string guitar that doubles the top two strings.

Back in my touring days I did the opposite. My main axe was a Rickenbacker 12-string with single strings for the high E and B. That way I could get big-sounding chords but bend the upper two strings for solos.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Interesting implementation, having half the doubled strings not in the trem tailpiece, which could lead to some creative dissonance as the unisons go out of tune with each other. I have a vague recollection of one of the 60s era Vox Phantom guitars being available in a 9 string configuration, with the upper three strings doubled. Not an idea that caught on with anybody I know of. And isn't there a current model Taylor with some of the middle strings doubled?

• Like 1
Scott Fraser

11 hours ago, Scott Fraser said:

...isn't there a current model Taylor with some of the middle strings doubled?

Indeed, there is. In fact, I believe KuruPrionz here has and enjoys one, IIRC...

11 hours ago, Anderton said:

Maybe I just lead a sheltered life and people do this all the time...

First I've heard of this specifically!

I thought this was an interesting approach...

It is! I bet that'd sound fantastic for chords with a lot of reverb and the Wow & Flutter modulation of a tape echo or tape-flavored digital echo (I love my El Capistan for that!)... 

Back in my touring days I did the opposite. My main axe was a Rickenbacker 12-string with single strings for the high E and B. That way I could get big-sounding chords but bend the upper two strings for solos.

Good idea! That, and similar arrangements, I have heard of before.

The closest I've ever come to doing that myself was a quasi-Nashville tuning with the 3rd/G-String swapped for a lighter gauge and tuned up an Octave, to get some of a 12-String's rearranged voicing when playing chords.

10 hours ago, Larryz said:

Reverb has a 7 string Martin D-7 Roger McGuinn signature model used for $3,900.  It uses a double G string...

😎

Cool! Kinda-sorta like the quasi Nashville-Tuning arrangement I mentioned above...

Now, put a B-Bender on that... ;) :D 

• Like 3

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

20 hours ago, Scott Fraser said:

Interesting implementation, having half the doubled strings not in the trem tailpiece, which could lead to some creative dissonance as the unisons go out of tune with each other. I have a vague recollection of one of the 60s era Vox Phantom guitars being available in a 9 string configuration, with the upper three strings doubled. Not an idea that caught on with anybody I know of. And isn't there a current model Taylor with some of the middle strings doubled?

I think the creative dissonance from the unison strings going out of tune could lead to some unique sounds. The Vox Phantom 9-string is a cool reference—I’ve heard about it but never seen one in person. As for Taylor, yes, they have the 12-string models where some strings are doubled, but I believe the current GT 8-string baritone has only the middle two courses doubled, creating a blend of textures that's pretty interesting.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Indeed, there is. In fact, I believe KuruPrionz here has and enjoys one, IIRC...

First I've heard of this specifically!

It is! I bet that'd sound fantastic for chords with a lot of reverb and the Wow & Flutter modulation of a tape echo or tape-flavored digital echo (I love my El Capistan for that!)... 

Good idea! That, and similar arrangements, I have heard of before.

The closest I've ever come to doing that myself was a quasi-Nashville tuning with the 3rd/G-String swapped for a lighter gauge and tuned up an Octave, to get some of a 12-String's rearranged voicing when playing chords.

Cool! Kinda-sorta like the quasi Nashville-Tuning arrangement I mentioned above...

Now, put a B-Bender on that... ;) :D 

I think I would put a G-Bender on it and bend both G strings if they could make such a gizmo.  I saw a YouTube of Brad Paisley demoing a G-Bender instead of a B-Bender as he liked the G much better than the B.  The lower tone does sound sweeter and more steel guitar like IMHO.  +1 though, the B-Bender could work on the acoustic with one string instead of me wanting to bend both G strings as two ball ends on the gizmo are probably are out of the question?? LoL! 

🤠👍

• Like 3
Take care, Larryz

This idea, particularly with the added unison-strings anchored separately from the vibrato, seems perfect for the sonic stylings of Kevin Shields and Bilinda Butcher of My Bloody Valentine (check out the album Loveless). Warbling that whammy with a ton of reverb, clean or filthy, would really lend itself to that!

3 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

Matt Pike's used a 9-string for years. Doubled the 3 highest strings, solitary wound strings.

Cool! I did not know that! I see that it's a First Act Matt Pike sig-model...

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _