Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The desktop UB-Xa: UB-Xa D

GAAAAAAS!!!!

It sounds soooo bloody great, I might grab one kb and one of these just for the h of it...

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Both my keyboards intended for live use have pretty excellent synths IMO,  so no real "need" for another one to add to complexity especially considering my band is only sloooooowly adding more synthy tunes....but if this had come along a few years ago I'd definitely be interested.

26 minutes ago, AWkeys said:

Just have to ask though - why the ugly orange LCD? That just stands out to me in a bad way.

They probably have a HUGE stock of those lying around... As long as it feels good for the eyes when working with the machine I'm okay, ,don't give me white or the kind of flash blue that you can get in many a LCDs, they hurt.. I have that in my Argon8m, not happy about it...

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

6 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

GAAAAAAS!!!!

It sounds soooo bloody great, I might grab one kb and one of these just for the h of it...

Surely, that UB-Xa combo would keep you busy until Uli gets around to making that unicorn Jupe we mentioned in another thread.😁😎

• Haha 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

28 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Surely, that UB-Xa combo would keep you busy until Uli gets around to making that unicorn Jupe we mentioned in another thread.😁😎

Now we're talking, no need for Rocco's jeans here now (in the fairy dust thread)...

🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

I'm glad I'm mostly out of the hardware game, because I'd really hate how much I like this one. Its hard to deny that full Ober-pad patch. I have a soft spot for desktop modules. Its a bit funny, because I ran my first comprehensive rig from a Korg workstation for several years. It was madness, doing it from that modest display. Now, you can simply click & go, with a DAW or most hardware sequencers.

I just shrug off B gear personally, for reasons, but I'll give a slight nod to how well-rounded this synth seems. I'm following the seeming upgrade of the company's higher-end pieces with real curiousity. If its still performing well after 10 years, $800 is a bargain. If I'm still here to carp about it in 10 years, that'll be a miracle. 💀:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Do what makes you happy this week.
So long as it’s not eating people.
Eating people is bad.
People have diseases.
      ~ Warren Ellis

Given how well the X series of mixers seem to be holding up I think Behringer's synths shouldn't have any issues with longevity. The things I've got feel solid.

Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/101/340/D/03/8 ESI:1010e

5 hours ago, David Emm said:

I'm glad I'm mostly out of the hardware game, because I'd really hate how much I like this one. Its hard to deny that full Ober-pad patch. I have a soft spot for desktop modules. Its a bit funny, because I ran my first comprehensive rig from a Korg workstation for several years. It was madness, doing it from that modest display. Now, you can simply click & go, with a DAW or most hardware sequencers.

I just shrug off B gear personally, for reasons, but I'll give a slight nod to how well-rounded this synth seems. I'm following the seeming upgrade of the company's higher-end pieces with real curiousity. If its still performing well after 10 years, $800 is a bargain. If I'm still here to carp about it in 10 years, that'll be a miracle. 💀:rolleyes:

I'm going to have to settle for this.

FunMachine.

Lovely, that's 724€ in my situation (VAT registered company in another EU country).

Though my next planned purchase is a Mac Mini M1 16GB (used) to set up a proper DAW for composition.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

On 7/16/2024 at 5:55 PM, Baldwin Funster said:

I'm going to have to settle for this.

Very nice. It has the right sonic weight. You're not missing out on much!

I'm a bit amused to see Oberheim emulations challenging the number of soft-Moogs, not to mention the hardware releases. I have an SEM, so its only a matter of time before I take up a poly. Synapse Audio's Obsession is still in the lead, but GForce's OB-1 is coming up fast on the outside. (Oberheim contributed to that one, high praise for sure.) Its not a burning need, but you don't have full bragging rights without one. The pads in particular have a flavor all their own. If you have enough fancy filters, as in Pigments, you can build your own and come close. Still, a fully committed instrument seems to pay off best in the end.

I notice that the Roland JP-8000 surrogate Sunrizer has been updated. That's a real beauty and one of the better calling cards an iPad could ask to have. 👍

• Like 1

Eating people is bad.
People have diseases.
      ~ Warren Ellis

On 7/16/2024 at 6:10 PM, J.F.N. said:

Though my next planned purchase is a Mac Mini M1 16GB (used) to set up a proper DAW for composition.

16GB is a smart move. If you have a choice, go for at least 1 TB of storage, though, or you could easily hit the wall I've hit. Apple charges dearly for it, but I'm beefing up the swear jar for 2 TB. I have outboard SSDs rolling, but I miss my old iMac situation, where everything stayed onboard with no squawking. My mild case of Synth OCD prefers it. Its akin to the time I saw a hefty, multi-panel Serge synthesizer and immediately went "Aw, hell no!" 😛 Know your weight class!

• Like 2

Eating people is bad.
People have diseases.
      ~ Warren Ellis

1 hour ago, David Emm said:

Very nice. It has the right sonic weight. You're not missing out on much!

I'm a bit amused to see Oberheim emulations challenging the number of soft-Moogs, not to mention the hardware releases. I have an SEM, so its only a matter of time before I take up a poly. Synapse Audio's Obsession is still in the lead, but GForce's OB-1 is coming up fast on the outside. (Oberheim contributed to that one, high praise for sure.) Its not a burning need, but you don't have full bragging rights without one. The pads in particular have a flavor all their own. If you have enough fancy filters, as in Pigments, you can build your own and come close. Still, a fully committed instrument seems to pay off best in the end.

I notice that the Roland JP-8000 surrogate Sunrizer has been updated. That's a real beauty and one of the better calling cards an iPad could ask to have. 👍

I have been playing around with the Sunriser update all afternoon. I'm super surprised, I thought it had been abandonware. They added some unique filters like the METALIZER. I don't want to further hijack an Obie thread for a Roland-ish softy but Sunrizer is worthy.

FunMachine.

3 hours ago, David Emm said:

16GB is a smart move. If you have a choice, go for at least 1 TB of storage, though, or you could easily hit the wall I've hit. Apple charges dearly for it, but I'm beefing up the swear jar for 2 TB. I have outboard SSDs rolling, but I miss my old iMac situation, where everything stayed onboard with no squawking. My mild case of Synth OCD prefers it. Its akin to the time I saw a hefty, multi-panel Serge synthesizer and immediately went "Aw, hell no!" 😛 Know your weight class!

I'll see what I can find, would prefer 1TB indeed, even if all recording data and sample data will end up on some type of external raid systems, it's definitely a good idea to have enough space on the system drive.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -