Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Some KQ Dixie (iOS DX7) love...

I see this has been briefly mentioned a couple of times here, and after grabbing it and fiddling around with it, loading a bunch of DX7 sysex banks into it, and understanding how really powerful yet easy to work with this is, I find it deserves quite a bit more of attention!

A multitimbral DX7 with huge polyphony, what more could one ever dream about!!

This video popped up in my flow and was what made it get my attention, check it out!

• Like 2

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

16 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

I’ve owned this for ages but never used it. I remember the lack of any reverb (it only has delay IIRC) was what I thought was a huge omission. 

If you run it in a host like AUM that's an easy fix, I run this one:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/adverb2/id1373926760

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

And I found the secret sauce for those big creamy DX electric pianos we heard in the 80's, and for only a handful of bucks in the app store... Never even got close with chorus or ensemble effects, and with this one it was head on the nail right away!

https://www.eventideaudio.com/plug-ins/micropitch/

IMG_20240714_141727.jpg

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

I liked dexed when I used a windows machine. Too bad the ios version has very low stars and is reviewed as unreliable even now in the year 24. 

I have kq Dixie as well but I find it kind of weak sounding. Of course there are many ways to beef it up like limiting it or layering in AUM ect.

I find King of FM overall a little stronger and more punchy when I want a dx7 vibe. It's cool to have something that can load syx cartridges though. There are buckets of those online. 

FunMachine.

How do you mean weak? To me it sounds pretty darn identical to the old brown monster, however with higher resolution like the DX7II. Though in general I disable the filter as imho it doesn't really do anything interesting or good with the overall sound, I find it just muffles everything even when fully open.

Then I run a channelstrip with gain/comp/eq after, we shall not forget that everything we ever heard in popular music from this era, was always going through a console and often some tasty analog outboard as well, I would definitely do the same with the brown monster if I happened to have to use one.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

1 hour ago, Baldwin Funster said:

Weak as if the velocity was only going to 100 instead of 127. 

Did you try fiddling with the velocity curve (press misc button) ?

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

The thing I really like with this model is that it's very far from clean and perfect, I would call it "organic" it's "alive".

:D

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -