Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Building a rehearsal space

Hello.. I'm in the process of closing a deal on a new-to-me residential property, and my idea is to build a new barn-type structure.  Not a dusty hay-horse barn, but a rustic looking structure that houses a cool rehearsal space, kinda like Daryl's house.  Super comfortable place to rehearse, possibly record / video.  A space with plenty of room for 8-10 piece group + equipment, with lounging area, kitchen/bathroom, possibly 1-2 additional bedrooms, possibly put those extra rooms in an upstairs loft.  Something that could be used as an ADU (the term they're using out here - "Additional Dwelling Unit").  

Thinking initially around 40x30 footprint.  Having the main rehearsal space with open beam ceilings would be cool - but need to ensure everything is nicely insulated to keep the neighbors happy.  Ultimately will work with architects, contractors, permitting, etc.  I'm just starting my research, I'm sure there's a treasure trove of info out there.

With all that, curious if any folks in here have done something similar, would love to hear thoughts, ideas, recommendations, the proverbial watch-outs!

Thanks in advance, cheers!

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

If you will want to record video of a band performing, consider what the backdrop will be for the space where a band would perform. When I try to capture video of our 7-piece covers band at a bar, I can't control the scene but I can evaluate it. Is there enough light? Are there bright light sources behind the band that will hurt good video capture? Are there weird looking things in the bar, right next to where the band is performing? Is there a lack of space that prevents me from locating cameras from a reasonable angle and distance so I can capture the entire band? Is it a cool looking venue, or does it look dorky?

If you will be planning to install sound insulation, either for acoustics or to prevent annoying neighbors, what will the visual result be for video?  Maybe if it looks like a recording studio that might actually be a cool look for videos, but I'm suggesting you think about what you want from a video consideration ahead of time.   

I converted a 1950s Florida bungalow to a music house last year.  1400 sq ft, nice backyard, plenty of parking, tolerant neighbors. 

I have two bands cycling through it, plus I'll let people I know use it for an occasional musical get together.  Although we've recorded audio and video there, that's not the primary focus -- more of a great place to make music with others.

What I've learned:

You can never have enough parking, and two bathrooms are better than one. 

Have a dedicated "hang out space" away from the instruments for people to take breaks.

We all use IEMS, so no need for room sound treatment.  Everyone who plays there does the same.

Have a kitchen area, stock it with water, snacks and coffee.   People can bring their own beer, and take the empties home.

Over-spec your AC to keep cool in the heat.  A band can put out a lot of heat when playing.

Get an electrician to inspect your wall socket power, as mine had gremlins.  Also invest in high-speed internet.

Use your band lighting to kick rehearsals into high gear.

It was expensive and a pain in the butt to create.  I love it.

• Like 1

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"