Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, RABid said:

I think photography is going through a nostalgic phase just like music did with vinyl. 

I don't even think it's nostalgic. Many of the people who are genuinely interested in either never grew up with it. They're genuinely interested in it because it appeals to them, being a physical electro-mechanical sort of item and all.

I'll have to list myself in the "wait and see" category.  Like you said, buying one brand new will appeal to those who value having a warranty just for the peace of mind.  I grew up using film so I would find myself preferring something a bit more full-featured; you know, like a real manual mode and interchangeable lenses.  The choice of a half-frame format is a curious one and I can't help but wonder if it is in no small part because it is the same (vertical) format as a smartphone.  I'll also point out that the choice to have zone focusing saves them the cost of developing either a TTL-style focusing system or a rangefinder to focus with.

Yes, the vertical aspect is about Instagram and all that as much as saving some money. I mention that in my article.

I would wait if I were you. They are going to release more sophisticated and presumably full-frame options later, possibly this year. This is the beginner/enthusiast model.

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2024 at 5:17 AM, KenElevenShadows said:

Yes, the vertical aspect is about Instagram and all that as much as saving some money. I mention that in my article.

I would wait if I were you. They are going to release more sophisticated and presumably full-frame options later, possibly this year. This is the beginner/enthusiast model.

Or, you dive into the used market and get your hands on one of Pentax' classic 35mm bodies instead.

Personally I switched to Nikon in the end, mainly because I went Nikon full frame digital (great sensors, both their own and the licenced Sony ones back then), though then I became a true Fujifilm X believer with no Nikon digital gear left in the end, yet still I have all of my Nikon film gear left in a dust and humid protected box, who knows what I may get on my mind one day in the future!

I wouldn't even consider buying newly produced film gear unless it's implementing some sort of hybrid technology making use of modern technology for one or the other reason to improve the workflow/image quality/whatnot.

🤪

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

You certainly can do that as long as you are comfortable with the fact that you are getting something used, and may have trouble having it serviced. 

Regardless, we all have found out by now that the Pentax 17 has been flying off the shelves, so to speak, so much so that Pentax had to delay orders while they manufacture more. Very popular camera, and no surprise here, has really been quite popular.