Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sire S7 Pickups

Recent owner of Sire S7, and wondering what pickups players are changing to. The originals aren’t awful, but not quite getting what I want out of them. Also, will pots make a big difference? I’m not sure what Sire used. Nice guitar though!

• Like 4

I like the Sire humbuckers in the 335 copies.  We don’t know what you like.  Based on the 335 stuff I’m guessing the Strats are vintage lower output wind. What artist/song type sounds are you after?  

The harness in the 335 looked okay but I’m not a cork sniffer when it comes to differ types of capacitors and stuff as long as the values are right. 

• Like 6

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

FWIW, pickup price is not directly correlated to performance.  I have some relatively inexpensive pickups in some fairly pricey guitars, and have no interest in changing them in the near future.

That said, I have also paid for upgraded pickups in certain situations, and have no regrets whatsoever.

The trick, IMHO, is not doing a lateral swap.  IOW, you don’t want to spend money to get roughly the same results you were getting before the change.

CEB asks good questions.  I’ll ask what- if anything- is actually disappointing you about your current sound?  Depending on what the issue is, it might not actually be the pickups.

• Like 6

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

On 6/9/2024 at 12:01 PM, Dirtvillan said:

Recent owner of Sire S7, and wondering what pickups players are changing to. The originals aren’t awful, but not quite getting what I want out of them. Also, will pots make a big difference? I’m not sure what Sire used. Nice guitar though!

Loaded question! Pun intended!

Strat-style with three single-coil pickups, right?

What is it that you want to get out of your Sire S7's pickups, that they're not delivering?

What style and  sound are you primarily going for? Clean, clean-ish, overdriven, distorted, gonzo fuzz?

What other pedals and amp or modeler/IR device are you using?

Don't worry about pots unless something's obviously wrong there. If  you use the tone-controls a lot, you can tailor the tone-control characteristics by simply swapping the capacitor on the tone-pot for one of a different value- easy, effective and CHEAP. But leave that for later for now, if at all.

In this scenario, I like to start with string type and gauges, and set-up. Surfergirl makes some excellent suggestions above.

Answer my questions and those of others here, and we'll go from there concerning pickup recommendations.

• Like 4

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _