Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI Keyboard with "MIDI merge" (for adding Lower & Pedals to Hammond SK Pro)

I'm planning to add a 61- or 73-key MIDI controller to use as a lower keyboard for my Hammond SK Pro 73, and I'll continue to use my Crumar Mojo bass pedals when in the home studio.  Looks like I'll either need to buy a MIDI-merge box or get a controller that has MIDI-merge built in (as it doesn't look like the Mojo pedals support MIDI-merge*).  And I'm not seeing MIDI-merge noted in the specs of the controllers I've viewed online, but I'm sure I haven't seen them all.

* Or do they?  Does anybody know?

I don't really need a keyboard controller that has any pads, sliders or too many knobs, as they'll all be covered by the SK Pro's case to get the two boards close together.  Plus, I'm trying to keep the weight and costs down too.

Any recommendations for a basic 61- or 73-key MIDI controller with a decent keybed that has MIDI-merge built in?

Old No7

ps:  If this proves successful, I'll build a wooden "B3 like" shell to put the two boards into for gigs, and for the home studio with the pedals connected.

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My GEM Equinox does Midi Merge and i used it to play upper and lower manuals of my Voce which only has one midi in. So midi out of the lower manual into the equinox, then the midi out of the equinox into the Voce.  The equinox midi out carries both its midi instructions as well as the lower manual midi instructions to the Voce.  Very convenient.  Modern keyboards dont seem to do this, probably in an effort to reduce cost.  Even both of my Kurz's, which are fabulous controllers, dont support midi merge, so i purchased a midi merge box. Caution, a midi merge box requires power, fortunately both my Kurz's can power the midi merge box via the midi out plug. Not all keyboards do (my m-audio cannot) therefore you might also have to purchase a power supply in order to power the midi merge box if the midi out of your keyboard doesnt offer midi power.  Here's a list of keyboards that dont (this list is not up to date and also not totally accurate):

https://midisolutions.com/faqs.htm#LED

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

+1 on the A800 but it definitely has pads, sliders and knobs. However, it's less than 10 lbs.

The cheaper controllers that lack knobs and sliders are either USB-midi only, or have 5-pin midi output only. One of those and a merge box might be your ticket.