Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Collection on sale.

I missed out two years ago when it was $199 during black Friday. Last year it was not discounted as much so I waited. Now it is suddenly on sale for $199 at Plugin Boutique. They also list it as on sale on the Korg site but it is $50 more and talks about needing a cross grade coupon, but does not explain what the cross grade is. I notice that Korg software is no longer available at Sweetwater or Perfect Circuit. Here is a link...

Plugin Boutique Korg Collection

Edit: Note that Wavestate, OpSix and ModWave are not included in Korg Collection. Those are separate purchases and quite expensive unless you own the hardware.

• Thanks 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Bear in mind an update is imminent adding three more instruments and these are never free upgrades so you might be digging deep again this summer. I believe cross grade is when you own the hardware, but little in the Korg Collection is valid for that. The other three engines you mention are.

Korg Grandstage 73, Korg Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 13 M4, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Version 5 is now out with a sale price of $299.

If you think ARP 2600, VOX Super Continental and EP-1 are worth $100, you could say it's as good as the above $199 deal.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

£77 gets me an upgrade from V4, but I have no real use for the Vox or EP-1 as I have them (to some extent) in hardware form. I wouldn’t mind the Arp to play with, but the sound demos didnt really sell it.

Sale price for the whole collection is great value. 

Korg Grandstage 73, Korg Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 13 M4, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

13 minutes ago, Ibarch said:

Big dilemma as to which I add to my growing selection of instruments I don't have time to play. 

That's a variation on a theme it took me years to learn. One of the hardest questions to answer is "Do I really need this?," because the answer is generally No. That clashes with our GAS. I've learned what I'm about from years of practice and informative missteps. I lean in with interest over new things, but it takes something either special or better-refined for me to commit to More when I already have plenty. 

That's why I've never bought a big C collection. I'm somewhat restless, so buying things as one-offs serves my purposes better. I also have no Buchla gland at all, nor do I need a modeled Farfisa. Quite a bit of what makes things click is knowing how to massage a good effects chain, so I never felt a need beyond Logic's EPs until Cherry Audio released the Wurlybird. Know how to recognize a jewel when it comes along, but be kind to your storage space and don't gorge. :rolleyes:          

• Like 1

"You get a couple of glasses of wine in those guys, they'll tell you the riddle of the Sphinx."
     ~ "Godfather of Harlem"

Having started with legacy collection, never found Korg to be all that generous with their upgrade path.  I'm holding at 3.   Use Triton and Wavestation a bunch and those are pretty specific sounding, but plenty of other sources for the synth sounds.  Full Bucket Music has a ton of free early Korg emulations, and also a great Arp Omni.

I think if you want a nice collection of synths plus decent Ep and AP,  Clavs, and transistor organs- Arturia Analog lab offers very good  bang for the buck at $99.00.  They've also had some great freebies.   I have V9, but could be happy just tweaking Analog Lab presets and get on with my day.  I don't look to either company for electromechanical stuff, though I admit that Korg EP sounds nice in the isolated demos.   

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

On 7/20/2024 at 12:43 AM, David Emm said:

That's a variation on a theme it took me years to learn. One of the hardest questions to answer is "Do I really need this?," because the answer is generally No. That clashes with our GAS. I've learned what I'm about from years of practice and informative missteps. I lean in with interest over new things, but it takes something either special or better-refined for me to commit to More when I already have plenty. 

That's why I've never bought a big C collection. I'm somewhat restless, so buying things as one-offs serves my purposes better. I also have no Buchla gland at all, nor do I need a modeled Farfisa. Quite a bit of what makes things click is knowing how to massage a good effects chain, so I never felt a need beyond Logic's EPs until Cherry Audio released the Wurlybird. Know how to recognize a jewel when it comes along, but be kind to your storage space and don't gorge. :rolleyes:          

Great advice. Spent a day working through the demos of instruments in the Korg collection. Whilst I have an academic interest in what a Triton could do or a curiosity about the attention the Wavestation attracts, the only instrument that really grabbed me was the M1. Loved the sound of it back in the day but the Roland U-20 had by far the superior piano which is what I cared about more at the time. Had I been able to afford both I would have but had to choose one and the Roland won. Have considered buying an M1 on rack form recently but software is the safer choice. 

As the M1 is also on sale, I've gone just for that. GAS is happy and hopefully won't realise it was short changed for some time. The rest of the collection I'll leave on the shelf. 

On 7/20/2024 at 12:47 PM, obxa said:

Full Bucket Music has a ton of free early Korg emulations, and also a great Arp Omni.

I wasn't familiar with that one, thanks for the pointer! There isn't a ton of overlap with Korg's collection in terms of which emulations are available but it's a cool collection in its own right.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

On 7/20/2024 at 1:58 AM, Ibarch said:

Korg Collection or Arturia V Collection?

Big dilemma as to which I add to my growing selection of instruments I don't have time to play. 

V collection hands down. More instruments you won't find time to play...😀

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen,Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9,Osmose

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

On 7/20/2024 at 12:58 AM, Ibarch said:

Korg Collection or Arturia V Collection?

I can attest this. Have both. Use neither! 🫣

Just trying to justify this, they are both installed on my Gig Performer laptop, but that on itself is right now a project on development...

• Haha 1

Much to my surprise, I found that I had upgraded to V4 after all, in late June 2023 for $50.

Not sure if I delayed the upgrade and it was on special sale, or whether its contents simply didn't justify as high an upgrade fee as V5.

At any rate, I suppose V5 is worth the $100 upgrade for the ARP 2600 alone, as everyone says it smokes all the other ones (including Cherry's).

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager