Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dead Hammond drawbar

The top (9th) drawbar on the first set (the Bb "preset") for the lower manual on my A100 isn't making any sound. If I switch to the second set (the B preset), that drawbar works just fine; both sets work on the upper manual (when the percussion isn't engaged of course).

For you experienced Hammond folks: is there an obvious fix for this? Or is it something I'm going to have to investigate further, or maybe call in a tech?

• Like 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Sam you might have a drawbar wire that needs to be soldered, Bobby T. might know. 

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

About 2 years ago my 4' drawbar stopped working on the b preset on my B3.  I slid the drawbar in and out about 50 times, no dice it was dead. Next day i turned on the organ and it was working again and has been working ever since.  Ghosts in the machine. 5 years ago my L100p did the same thing and the next day it worked and also has been working ever since....  🤔

Since the drawbar works on the other manual and the other preset on the same manual it most likely is the wire connection to that drawbar. Probably not a major issue.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

44 minutes ago, Baggypants said:

Doesn't the top drawbar get used for percussion on some presets?

Derp, you mentioned percussion.

Its dead on the Bb preset on the lower manual. The only preset where percussion kicks in and where the ninth drawbar would shutoff is the B preset on tbe upper manual.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I agree with the others on possibly a loose or disconnected wire at the back of the drawbar (Or, it's just not making contact, which seems less likely).

If it was a tonewheel issue, you wouldn't hear anything on the top manual either.  

This vid shows the process of checking that wire (around :20 seconds)

• Love 1

Culprits for missing tones w B or Bb top or bottom manuals:
- Could be the DB wire itself (most common, re-solder to the db)
- Could be a severed/broken wire at the terminal strip lugs (somewhat common with organs moved around without the TG tied down. See back of organ, resolder any missing/broken).
- Could be a severed/broken wire(s) going to the manuals. Must unbolt and lift up manuals to look and resolder. Same as above.

Rarer and more involved:
- a stuck tonewheel due to little/no oiling, must free it up (freeing tie down, both manuals, and lifting TG up enough to reach and carefully free by hand
- bad/missing connection to specific tones on top of TG (tone generator). Somewhat rare.
- later model organs used old foam strips used to seal manuals.  The foam deteriorates and can eat the fine wiring to contacts.
Pretty rare but def can happen.

First inspect all drawbar wires are attached.  Otherwise, do a test and use this link to pinpoint the missing tone.
Pull out the 3rd db (only) on Bb preset, from lowest left note to right play each key chromatically up and count the number of (playable) notes (not the reversed colored keys) until the missing tone found. Mark the # count of that missing tone/note.  Go to the link, to the key # you have verified missing, and click the number under the 3rd DB column (the only db you pulled out).  You will have your missing tone # and all points involved.

https://www.dairiki.org/hammond/wiring/?fbclid=IwAR3zPKIBhvrtWagR7pI5808tmJYZCh_9I5xvLveE9k1CuR520S2ZnQI6QvQ

Hey thanks so much for all the very informative tips, friends! It is, indeed, a very obviously disconnected wire that is the culprit. Some soldering is in my future.

• Like 2

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.