Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NPD

13 hours ago, surfergirl said:

Ibanez Mini TS.20240510_160708.thumb.jpg.6fade3de978e382ef74e346c0a6aa069.jpg

Cool. Congratulations! Enjoy! How do you like it so far? Echoing Brother Winston's question, where [and how] are you thinking of using it in your signal chain?

I bet it really shines with your Strat, other pedals and amps!

I've long had a love/hate, or rather like/dislike, experience with Screamers. It took me many years to understand what I did and didn't like about TS types, and how I could and couldn't use them to my own liking.

Their 'soft-clipping' and rolled-off highs and lows (that infamous "mid-hump"!) made them seem dulling, dark, muddy and mushy to me, where 'hard-clipping' and brighter tone seemed to better serve me. I could never use them as a general overdrive tone for most of the time- if at all, it would have been for brief moments, on and off again, just to round and smooth 'lead lines'. And I didn't like how they sounded when rolling back the guitar's volume-knob to "clean-up".

Obviously, there are plenty of examples of famous TS lovin' players, where the opposite was apparently the case for them! I mean, SRV alone... !!

A lot depends on the deployed guitars, amps, styles and approaches.

I have owned two pedals that extrapolate on either the circuit-deign or voicing characteristics of TS types.

One, a Fulltone FD-3 Full-Drive3 that I bought a good six or so years ago, to have smoother, softer, more polite overdrive tones for a specific event I'd volunteered for. I used a more open-voiced clipping mode that it has, "WIDE ASYMETRICAL", for less of that "mid-hump"; and I really enjoyed the added Boost side of that pedal, as well. If one likes a classic TS, they'd love the FD-3 and its "90's" Mode.

The second, within the past year, a Halcyon Green Overdrive from Origin Effects; a FANTASTIC overdrive pedal that really lets me have that green cake and eat it, too! Among many features, upgrades and improvements, it uniquely allows dynamic control of that "mid-hump" and the overdrive, via the guitar's volume-knob and ones "touch". I could almost even leave it as an "always on" pedal! THIS is MY Screamer... ! I'll never need to look for another.

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

It plays well with my other pedal including my Lizard Queen, the DS-1w doesn't play with the Lizard Queen. 

I had a pawn shop TS9 that I found to be kinda harsh, this an 808 and sounds warmer. I've been looking for an 808 for awhile, I almost got BBE Green Screamer but passed. This one showed up as a demo at Sweetwater and a Mini fit on board so I went ahead and purchased it. The timing was also right, my father was coming home for my grandparents 50th, so I didn't have to pay shipping.

Order, right now I have it after fuzz before boost and Distortion. So for now it's 2, but could b 3 or 4, TBD. Then the  Deluxe Electric Mistress and Reverb at the end. 

• Like 3

Jennifer S.

1 hour ago, surfergirl said:

It plays well with my other pedal including my Lizard Queen, the DS-1w doesn't play with the Lizard Queen. 

I had a pawn shop TS9 that I found to be kinda harsh, this an 808 and sounds warmer. I've been looking for an 808 for awhile, I almost got BBE Green Screamer but passed. This one showed up as a demo at Sweetwater and a Mini fit on board so I went ahead and purchased it. The timing was also right, my father was coming home for my grandparents 50th, so I didn't have to pay shipping.

Order, right now I have it after fuzz before boost and Distortion. So for now it's 2, but could b 3 or 4, TBD. Then the  Deluxe Electric Mistress and Reverb at the end. 

That sounds great! For what it's worth, the two TS types that I have are also TS-808 based and/or inspired.

I bet the Mini TS makes the Lizard Queen smoother, rounder and warmer, am I right?

Does the Mini TS work well stacked into your DS-1 Distortion, for an added boost and/or reducing low-end mud and flub (if you even have those issues)? 

Try hitting that Mini TS with your Boost (a 2B, right?) stacked into its input. It'll make it just a little louder- not as much as placing the Boost after the TS- but definitely dirtier and fuller for "MORE!", great as a lead-boost.

• Like 2

I was hoping to get out and play this weekend, but we are rained in the this and next weekend. We have a house full this weekend so I won't get much done. 

I'm using my Crayon as a boost, half sister is using the 2B until she gets her own boost, I think a Keeley Katana mini. 

The TS stacks with the DS-1W on the original setting, but not the custom setting. I'll play around with them and see I can find settings that work, if not it sounds good on the original. 

I'll have fit the 2B in when I get it back.

I'm thinking 2B as a clean boost and Crayon as a bass or mid boost, but that's for another day.

• Like 2

Jennifer S.

FWIW, one of the common pedal pairings with a TS pedal is some version of the venerable Boss Blues Driver 2.  The original is one of those that Boss absolutely got right.*  Typically, the BD-2 is used as an always on OD that shapes the core tone, with the TS set as the lead/solo OD of choice. 

Of course, that’s ONE option out of a myriad.  The key is having fun with it!

* That hasn’t stopped others from emulating it with their own design tweaks.  For instance, I own a Keeley Katana Blues.

• Like 4

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

13 hours ago, surfergirl said:

I'm thinking 2B as a clean boost and Crayon as a bass or mid boost, but that's for another day.

It's great to have such options! Very similarly, I also have a 2B that I use as a clean-boost, and a 'treble booster' type for an overdriven boost that reduces lows and low/mids while emphasizing mids/upper-mids; it also 'cleans-up' beautifully! I love having the two to switch between as needed!

4 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

FWIW, one of the common pedal pairings with a TS pedal is some version of the venerable Boss Blues Driver 2.  The original is one of those that Boss absolutely got right.*  Typically, the BD-2 is used as an always on OD that shapes the core tone, with the TS set as the lead/solo OD of choice. 

Of course, that’s ONE option out of a myriad.  The key is having fun with it!

* That hasn’t stopped others from emulating it with their own design tweaks.  For instance, I own a Keeley Katana Blues.

I similarly enough use my TS type  as a lead-boost and tone shaper, hitting either an overdriven tube-amp or a digital-model and IR's of an overdriven tube-amp in my Iridium. All of the above set up to 'clean-up' at least a little via the guitar's volume-knob, even with the TS engaged.

I'll soon be experimenting with stacking my TS-voiced OD with a Klon-voiced OD, although I'll probably go Klon TS.

• Like 2

ODs are a lot more homogeneous than guitar players usually claim IF… you have a good graphic EQ after the drive section.   I’ve used TS 9’s, 808s  and there really isn’t any noticeable difference.   Given enough time 95% of players figure out how to tweak their new gear to make it sound exactly like their old gear.  

My boards for quite a while have had 3 constants, even with how I change stuff based on gigs.  
1) A Peterson tuner, 2) A Ross circuit Compressor with a clean blend, 3) TS type OD with clean blend.   My favorite for a while has been the Reverend Drivetrain.   

Basically Joe Naylor at Reverend want a TS with the ability to tame the mid hump so Bob Weil designed a TS with real EQ.  Bob Weil is founder of TrueTone/ Visual Sound.  Bob swapped out his standard 808 circuit with the DriveTrain plus clean blend on Version 3 of his Route 66 (a clean blend compressor plus a OD).  On my monster modern Country board I have the Wampler Ego plus Sparkle Drive.  I miss nothing by just using the Route 66 instead.  

I like playing Rock gigs.  I need a lot fewer pedals for Rock stuff.  

I spewing nonsense again.  Sorry. 

• Like 4

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I think the Ibanez Tube Screamer is a great pedal, one that could never be compared with any other pedal! It's a little green box, but it makes some big sounds, that's for sure! And it's been used by a lot of great rock and heavy metal guitarists since the eighties. I remember reading an interview with The Bangles' Vicki Peterson where she mentioned using an Ibanez Tube Screamer on some of their albums. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2024 at 4:54 PM, CEB said:

My boards for quite a while have had 3 constants, even with how I change stuff based on gigs.  
1) A Peterson tuner, 2) A Ross circuit Compressor with a clean blend, 3) TS type OD with clean blend.   My favorite for a while has been the Reverend Drivetrain.   

Basically Joe Naylor at Reverend want a TS with the ability to tame the mid hump so Bob Weil designed a TS with real EQ.  Bob Weil is founder of TrueTone/ Visual Sound.  Bob swapped out his standard 808 circuit with the DriveTrain plus clean blend on Version 3 of his Route 66 (a clean blend compressor plus a OD).  On my monster modern Country board I have the Wampler Ego plus Sparkle Drive.  I miss nothing by just using the Route 66 instead.  

I like playing Rock gigs.  I need a lot fewer pedals for Rock stuff.  

I spewing nonsense again.  Sorry. 

I’ve never had the opportunity to play any of Reverend’s pedals or amps, just their guitars…

mJtNhfI.jpeg

I also have a long history with the other side of that equation.  Some of my first pedals were Visual Sound V2 era stompboxes, including a Jekyll & Hyde, which included their version of the TS circuit.  I always wanted a Double Trouble (2xTS), but they became TrueTone before I could pull the trigger.  Their VS-XO is the Double Trouble’s descendant, subbing a Nobels OD for one of the TS circuits.  (Yes, it’s on my GAS list! 😁 )

• Like 3

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

This thread reminded me that I own a Boss ME-80, which is all the pedals in one box and maybe I should mess about with it and see what I can get it to do. 

• Like 4
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.