Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg OpSix question.

I started to get a Korg OpSix when they discontinued the model and put them on sale but they were gone before I managed to grab one. Then the OpSix Mk2 came out with double the polyphony. I decided that I want a OpSix M (tabletop) and wanted to make sure it was the Mk2 version. Looked at the Korg website and found a couple of clues, but no statement of which version the tabletop OpSix M is. What I did find is ...

Original OpSix - 32 voice

OpSix Mk2 - 64 voice

OpSix M information on a dealer website - 60 voice

OpSix M information on the Korg website - 80 voice

Then I noticed a video on the OpSix M page for the OpSix LE - 80 voice. 61 keys, and available in a platinum color. So that has left me a bit confused. It is a OpSix, OpSix Mk2, or OpSix LE in tabletop form? I did notice that is will accept poly aftertouch.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

22 minutes ago, RABid said:

I started to get a Korg OpSix when they discontinued the model and put them on sale but they were gone before I managed to grab one. Then the OpSix Mk2 came out with double the polyphony. I decided that I want a OpSix M (tabletop) and wanted to make sure it was the Mk2 version. Looked at the Korg website and found a couple of clues, but no statement of which version the tabletop OpSix M is. What I did find is ...

Original OpSix - 32 voice

OpSix Mk2 - 64 voice

OpSix M information on a dealer website - 60 voice

OpSix M information on the Korg website - 80 voice

Then I noticed a video on the OpSix M page for the OpSix LE - 80 voice. 61 keys, and available in a platinum color. So that has left me a bit confused. It is a OpSix, OpSix Mk2, or OpSix LE in tabletop form? I did notice that is will accept poly aftertouch.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OpsixMod--korg-opsix-mkii-altered-fm-synthesizer-rackmountable-desktop-module

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

28 minutes ago, RABid said:

Oh, and a couple more questions.

Is it multi timbrel?

Is the voice count dependent on voice structure? i.e., 80 voices for a 2 operator patch. 20 voices for a complex stereo patch?

No, Opsix is not multitimbral, voice count varies depending on how complex sounds you are building ( I not have the specs, look in the manual if it is covered there.. ).

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

31 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

How practical this solution can be for you depends on the rest of your setup and how you are hoping to incorporate the Opsix into that setup.

Two uses for this unit.

1. Sequence with a Oxi One and record stems.

2. Connect to a Hydrasynth Deluxe to make use of the poly aftertouch.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

28 minutes ago, RABid said:

Two uses for this unit.

1. Sequence with a Oxi One and record stems.

2. Connect to a Hydrasynth Deluxe to make use of the poly aftertouch.

Oscillator Sink's tricks are are based on figuring out why the Opsix has factory drum kit presets.  You would think a monotimbral synth would not be capable of having a kick on some keys, a snare on the next key over, etc.   In short, his tricks are based on operator level key tracking.  So his video provides examples of setting up a bitimbral key split, then a tri-timbral key split. 

So #2 should be doable.

#1 should also be doable assuming the Oxi is set up with send the correct MIDI note number values to trigger the desired timbres.

Big caveat is what if you want to take 3 factory presets that you like and combine them into a single tri-timbral (3-zone key split) preset?   Seem like to do it this guy's way you'll have to reprogram each of the 3 presets into your new tri-timbral preset.   This is where a true multimbral synth (or 3 Opsix units 🤣) might be preferred.  

Perhaps this is part of Korg's evil plan to make you buy a Wavestate.  Wavestates are true multimbral and will let you load layers of samples of... say... an Opsix.  I believe 12 velocity layers is possible with the Wavestate's own set of tricks.