Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ELO - Richard Tandy has Passed at 76

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

ELO has always been my favourite band. Some EKO songs are part of my life soundtrack, as that Midnight Blue I danced with my first girlfriend on that unforgettable Summer. And Richard made that wonderful ELO soundscape possible. A great talent. R.IP. 🙏🏻

• Like 2

Yeah that hurts.

ELO was one of the first bands I really got into as a young teen, and to this day still love their tunes.   That stretch in the mid to late 70s was amazing, so many great tunes.  And it's a bit later, and stands apart from those in instrumentation (way more synth, less orchestra) but Time became a special album to me.   

I always liked how his keyboard parts fit the song so well.  Even the more complex playing, it was all so "hummable" if that make sense!  (Tony Banks is similar in that regard to me.)  

Though you ride on the wheels of tomorrow 
You still wander the fields of your sorrow 
Tomorrow, 21st-century man

• Like 1

Sad news; always somber to lose someone who has had such impact on the music world.

On a tangential note, this thread has reminded me: does anyone know what Jeff Lynne actually looks like? I feel like he's spent 40 years hiding his face with hair, beard, and sunglasses so that he can commit the perfect crime, shave it all off, and disappear under a new name for his retirement...

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I've had that same thought :)   It's actually a bit jarring to see old pics where he isn't wearing the sunglasses!

Maybe it's just me but any time I got tempted to toss some beard dye into mine (when I have one), I always regret it.  That stuff itches and burns like a mofo for a week, maybe it's just me!

Kinda fitting song title, really nice synth tones in this song.

ELO's sound, and Richard Tandy's keyboard work were a big influence when I began to navigate the alternate world - to me - of playing keyboards in a band. Prior to that I'd had about 10 years of classical training, along with random noodling while trying to understand chords, harmonizing melodies and so forth. I worked out the changes and Am blues scale - based riffs to Evil Woman, even nicknaming a high school friend / secret love interest after the title; I recall describing her as 'wickedly cute'.  When we ran into one another, a year or so after graduating, she was quite amused by my admission; puzzled, though - as her response was, " Well why didn't you ask me out, back in school? ". Seems my late teenage bumbling around wasn't limited to early experiments in improvisation :laugh:.

RIP, Richard Tandy. Thank you for the inspiration!

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I always wondered if Jeff Tandy and Jeff Lynne got along well. Was he part of Jeff Lynne's most recent ELO incarnation?

My head is bowed for a Mr Blue Sky vocoder goodbye in his honor.

RIP

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

I grew up with a father who owned many ELO albums when he was my age. As a result of this I have inherited the "ELO fanatic" gene from him. Their earliest albums are really excellent, especially the tracks Kuiama and their cover of Roll Over Beethoven from the second album. But it is albums like Eldorado and Out Of The Blue that made them global superstars, and deservedly so. 

As a matter of fact, I played ELO 2, On The Third Day and Eldorado as tribute to the late, great Richard Tandy. At least now he, Kelly Groucutt, and Michael Edwards are playing some ELO songs in heaven right now.

• Like 1