Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rolls PM351 - unusual DI behavio(u)r when set to mono?

Hello all,

I have configured the audio path in my rig to use stereo-on-TRS connections because that's what my Rolls PM351 expects (I actually use the headphone out from my board). A few weeks ago I had a pickup gig where the only input available on the FoH mixer (a Bose Tonematch of some description) was a line in (TS). I connected a TS cable to an output on my patchbay and of course that knocked one side of my personal IEM mix out. To fix that, I flipped the jumper on the Rolls to Mono.

Fast forward to last Saturday, where I'm back to SOP of going DI from the Rolls. I noticed that the right DI out on the Rolls was silent (a tiny bit of crosstalk), but the left was working normally. I would have hoped/expected that in MONO mode both DIs would have worked in parallel.

In summary: Does setting the Rolls PM351 to MONO disable the Right DI out?

Cheers, Mike.

In short form, yes what you experienced is normal as far as what the Rolls will send out the XLR jacks to FoH.

I've long ago stopped using the Rolls as the DI in my rig.   I use a Radial Pro D2. and take the "thru" via a Y cable ts and ts to TRS into my Rolls.

That way I ALWAYS hear myself in Stereo, regardless of what FoH does.

My setup:

mixer L/R to Radial Pro D2

Pro D2 XLR L/R to FoH

Pro D2 thru to Rolls as above

Feed from FoH with rest of band to Line In on Rolls via a XLR to TRS 1/4" cable

Mic into Rolls

MIc Thru on Rolls to FoH

FoH does not send me keys or my vocals

• Like 1

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Yes...to echo what David said, I don't hook my keys directly to the Rolls, as I'm not using it to function as my DI.  So I also go: keys into my separate DI...DI thru/out to my Rolls 1/4" input (as David said, would use a Y-cable if going stereo)...and monitor feed from FOH to the XLR input on the Rolls.  

Note: when using it this way, the input labels on some of these Rolls units may kinda become misnomers.  IIRC, the 1/4" input on my PM55P that I use for the keys thru is called 'monitor'...and the XLR is called "MIC In"...or something like that 

4 hours ago, Sean M. H. said:

Note: when using it this way, the input labels on some of these Rolls units may kinda become misnomers.  IIRC, the 1/4" input on my PM55P that I use for the keys thru is called 'monitor'...and the XLR is called "MIC In"...or something like that 

On the 351 that Stoken and I have, the keys input is a 1/4” trs jack

the mic input and mic thru are both xlr

the line input (for feed from FOH, etc) is 1/4” trs jack

The three volume pots that control the three inputs sent to headphone out are labeled 

Line. Mic. Instrument. 

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu: