Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Stage synth section v MicroKorg (2)

In a band playing primarily classic rock but some indie too (Killers etc) I have a Nord Electro 6 73 as my bottom board for piano/organ/sample synth section and a MODX7 for other bread and butter / synth duties on top. I'm happy with the rig but looking to add some more meaty synth/analog goodness and was wondering whether to sell the Nord and upgrade to a Stage for it's synth section, or wait for the Microkorg 2 and add that as a third tier.

From what I've heard on YT the Stage synth section can sound warm but not v 'ballsy', but I stand to be corrected. The advantage of the Microkorg would be the flexibility plus the vocoder/vocal fx section (which I would use for songs like Mr Blue Sky etc).

The other pro of Microkorg - likely be around £500, whereas I'd need to add at least £1,000 to my Electro 6 sale to bag a Stage 3 (i think 4 would be out of budget)

Cons = the minikeys, but think I could cope with that. And also, carrying another synth, as small as it is.

Any Stage users weigh in? Is the section synth powerful enough?

I think that the MODX7 and NE6 is more than enough to get what you need, without needing to debate these other options. If you were trying to slim down to a single keyboard, I would absolutely recommend a Nord Stage 3 or 4, which could do all the things you need. However, the NE6 has you covered very well for pianos, drawbar organ, sample loading...and the MODX7 can do pretty much all the rest.

I'd spend time working on how to maximize the current rig vs. spending time (and money) on trying to replace things. My $.02.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

eric...the MODX is a little lacking in analog recreation, that was my thinking. For some songs of the early 2000s it doesn't quite cut it. But would the audience notice if I used a MODX patch? Probably not. Saving the money is a definite option, thanks for quelling some of the GAS!

Mike...there is a bit of space on the right of the Electro - would one of the Roland boutiques fit there I wonder?  also I do have an Ipad and have seen people hook this upto a MODX for added sound creation, but not sure what synth modules would give me similar to MicroKorg etc...

I bought a Stage 3 from fellow forumite cphollis last year and my biggest happy surprise is the synth engine on it.  I knew it had one, I just didn't know I'd like it that much.

It sounds better than the Modx synth by a ways (I own that as well), and certain things the Modx won't be able to do unless you just use a sample (like sync).   More punch and weight to the sound for leads and poly synths (Styx, Loverboy) and for the Killers I think the Modx is going to struggle.   I know "punch" and "weight" are not typically applied to Nord synths, hence my surprise I guess!   I used to try Somebody Told Me on my Motif and that was...not great.  Granted the Modx is newer than the Motif but other than Fm the synth sounds are not all that different.

The Modx can definitely do the job--especially if you get away from the weedy-sounding stock patches--but IMO the Stage will do it better.  Whether that is worth it or not is the question.  I've been doing a lot of single-keyboard gigs with it and even don't mind playing piano on the waterfall action, which was an equally big surprise.   So bottom line I'd agree with eric--if you envisioned single keyboard gigs, NS3 or 4 might be the ticket.

Dark horse curveball--the Modx makes it quite easy to hook up an ipad or iphone; one cable is all that is needed for midi and audio and the Modx has a separate volume control for it.  I gigged with B-3X as my organ for about a year, and also auditioned a few synths on ipad.   Zeeon was my favorite poly synth at that time, and I loved the Moog apps as well.   I remember playing Subdivisions at practice using Zeeon and our drummer--who plays in a Rush tribute band as well-- could not believe that the sound he was hearing came from a tablet :D    I prefer not to gig with an ipad but it certainly can be done.

• Like 2

MODX is a great MIDI controller, so yes, as Stokely said, you can add some nice sounding VA from iPad/iPhone or, if you want hard controls, as you said, a Roland Boutique, or the MicroKorg, which can also be played from the MODX so you're not always limited to its minikeys. With the Electro, MODX, and your choice of VA synth add-on, the main thing I think you're really missing from the Stage is the aftertouch, which it sounds like is not so important to you. As eric was saying, in many cases, one of the best things about the Stage is how much you can do from one self-contained board, but if that's not a goal here, considering what you have and how easily you can build on it, I think that's probably the more sensible way to go.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The synth section on the NS4 is deep enough for me, and there's three engines to work with.  The NS3 was no slouch either.  Sure, a real analog synth would sound a bit ballsier, much in the way a real Hammond and Leslie combo would be ballsier than its simulated B3 section.  It also helps that there's a ton of programs ready to go for popular songs via the forum.

Having all the sound generation on a single master board makes it easy for me to step through setlists during the gig vs. coordinating multiple pieces of gear between songs.  I remind myself of that every time I start itching for another keyboard.

• Like 1

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I echo the sentiment that my brotha @eric definitely nails it above.

The MODX should definitely provide a reasonable  facsimile of the synth sounds required for cover tunes.  There's probably a preset specific to the song(s) being played.😁

If the MODX does not have the sound(s), should not be too difficult programming it or loading samples of the required sound(s) into the MODX or NE6.

Programming the MicroKorg 2 with its combination of button presses according to the menu might be slightly easier to program than a MODX. 

Also, there is the polyphony limit on the MicroKorg 2.  I believe the latest iteration will be 8 notes. 

Then, going down the dedicated synth rabbit hole, that begs the question why not get [insert synth here].

Throwing a whole monkey wrench in it, the Nord Stage covers the bread and butter sounds and provides synth programming tactility too.

Upgrading the KB rig to a Nord Stage 3 or 4 and adding a cheap 49/61-key MIDI controller to the top tier would be game/set/match.

Save your money.  Maximize the Electro 6 and MODX KB rig.  Plenty power under the hood there.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I'd like to drop in a polite vote for the MicroKorg 2. It doesn't seem like the ideal fix when you already have hella power with a MODX and a hefty Nord, but its not at all a bad idea to have a synth from that category. IMO, the Jupiter Xm and GAIA 2 join the MK2 as great pinch hitters if you want to go light here & there. All three are worthy inheritors of their predecessors' crowns. The demos have been impressive.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"