Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Hammond clone dry into a Ventilator?

1 hour ago, J.F.N. said:

Anyone of you PC3 series owners who's run the KB3 dry out and through a Ventilator? I am toying with the idea (to get a reason to buy a Vent..) of using the aux outs on the PC3 for organ through a Vent, and as the Leslie algorithms in the PC3 are not that amazing compared to the math of today, I am hoping it could be an upgrade worth it.

:D

I bought my Lester K specifically to improve the Forte's organ (which sounds about the same as the one on my pc3 I used to gig with).   Lester K definitely was better for me than the stock leslie(s).

However, once I went with a Nord Stage 3, I don't think they are so much better or worse than  "different" so I'll be selling the Lester--maybe my trial run for Sweetwater Gear exchange will be that pedal :) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stokely said:

I bought my Lester K specifically to improve the Forte's organ (which sounds about the same as the one on my pc3 I used to gig with).   Lester K definitely was better for me than the stock leslie(s).

However, once I went with a Nord Stage 3, I don't think they are so much better or worse than  "different" so I'll be selling the Lester--maybe my trial run for Sweetwater Gear exchange will be that pedal :) 

Okay, so Forte didn't bring anything more to the table FX wise for the Leslie algorithms, good to know.

Yeah, Lester K, Ventilator II, Burn.. No idea which one it will be, I am kind of biased towards the Vent from what I have heard so far (youtube).

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

7 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

Anyone of you PC3 series owners who's run the KB3 dry out and through a Ventilator? I am toying with the idea (to get a reason to buy a Vent..) of using the aux outs on the PC3 for organ through a Vent, and as the Leslie algorithms in the PC3 are not that amazing compared to the math of today, I am hoping it could be an upgrade worth it.

:D

The past few shows over the course of 6 weeks i've been using both the Vent and the BURN w/ KB3 (dry) of the PC3 and the Forte. With the right tweaks to the organ section the combinations work.  Two uncorrectable things are the C/V itself (the chorus is horrible) and that the percussion routes through the C/V rather than around the C/V.  Mitigation is that I use C1 and turn off C/V when engaging percussion. Also, if you turn off C/V when engaging the internal leslie in fast speed it sounds much less phasier than when C/V is engaged.  

Below is a link to a double leslie that i worked on 10 years ago.  Its much improved over anything delivered within either the PC3 or the Forte.  It is a double leslie that will consume 14 of the available 16 DSP units of the PC3.

https://forums.godlike.com.au/index.php?topic=3861.msg31597#msg31597

Bill Whitney created a single leslie that is available here.  I'd also try this as an alternative.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/yM7zSGNSsXuKHDde/?mibextid=oFDknk

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

6 hours ago, Lou_NC said:

OK, I'll bite.  Why no XB-2?  You don't like the sound?  Is it unreliable?  

I've played clonewheels since I bought my analog Korg BX-3 new in 1985.  (Before that I played a Farfisa and Leslie 760 🙂)  

Never owned an XB-2 but just wondering why it wouldn't work as a sound source through a Vent?   

??? Uh, you can bite whatever you like but even a basic search will tell you reasons to avoid. They're unreliable and not easily repaired today (IOW, free is how much $ you should sink into one).

Has nothing to do with the vent.

14 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

The past few shows over the course of 6 weeks i've been using both the Vent and the BURN w/ KB3 (dry) of the PC3 and the Forte. With the right tweaks to the organ section the combinations work.  Two uncorrectable things are the C/V itself (the chorus is horrible) and that the percussion routes through the C/V rather than around the C/V.  Mitigation is that I use C1 and turn off C/V when engaging percussion. Also, if you turn off C/V when engaging the internal leslie in fast speed it sounds much less phasier than when C/V is engaged.  

Below is a link to a double leslie that i worked on 10 years ago.  Its much improved over anything delivered within either the PC3 or the Forte.  It is a double leslie that will consume 14 of the available 16 DSP units of the PC3.

https://forums.godlike.com.au/index.php?topic=3861.msg31597#msg31597

Bill Whitney created a single leslie that is available here.  I'd also try this as an alternative.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/yM7zSGNSsXuKHDde/?mibextid=oFDknk

Wow, that sounds interesting, unfortunately I don't have access to any of those links, I guess I could sign up to godlike, though no such thing as social media will ever again enter my life, but anyhooouu, great thanks for the pointers, highly appreciated!

Interesting experiences with the C/V and the percussion, and their routing, are Kurzweil informed about these things too?

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

12 hours ago, JoJoB3 said:

??? Uh, you can bite whatever you like but even a basic search will tell you reasons to avoid. They're unreliable and not easily repaired today (IOW, free is how much $ you should sink into one).

Has nothing to do with the vent.

There is a salvation for those who sit with a bricked XB2, Keyboardpartner has a kit with their HX3 that is created to replace the brain in these bricked XB2s..

https://shop.keyboardpartner.de/en/p/hx3-xb2-retrofit-kit-1

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

This is strange, but I was totally unaware of the Hammond Solo.  Just looked at that thread and the video demo by Bonner's near the end of the thread.  I honestly thought it sounded damn good.  I assume it was being played through the sim onboard and not a Leslie, pretty impressive to my ears.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

Slightly off topic (because what I'm going to mention right now isn't a clone keyboard), but I recently acquired an iPad, and for years I had been playing around on my iPhone with an iOS app called Pocket Organ (I think part of its name is C3B3 or something also).  Anyway, to summarize, I plugged my XK3c into the iPad, via an iRig Midi 2, and took the iPad's 3.5mm headphone output, and ran it into a Vent (version 1) using an insert cable (plugged the 3.5mm stereo plug obviously into the iPad, and plugged the 1/4 inch male phono jack marked 'tip' into the Ventilator's input), and the bottom line is it sounds really good.  I make sure to turn off the app's internal Leslie.  Has to be heard to appreciate.  The scanner chorus vibrato emulation is *very* good.  Probably my only gripe about the app is that the percussion 'circuit' is a bit too loud, and can't be made to get any softer.  If you're playing pretty aggressive stuff though, that's not a bad thing. I think I love everything else about this app.

Pocket Organ was pretty good for its time. If ya got money to throw about on apps, IK/Hammond B3X hard to beat. Best onboard Leslie in iOS to my ears. But GSI’s VB3m is actually easier to use and sound great for Rock without much tweaking…and that one works on iPhone. Another iPad app that been kind of under the radar is Blue3. I’ve been using that one for rehearsal  lately…along the lines of VB3m but with better UI. Takes a very close 3rd place on the Leslie sim, but fine for my needs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brenner13 said:

Pocket Organ was pretty good for its time. If ya got money to throw about on apps, IK/Hammond B3X hard to beat. Best onboard Leslie in iOS to my ears. But GSI’s VB3m is actually easier to use and sound great for Rock without much tweaking…and that one works on iPhone. Another iPad app that been kind of under the radar is Blue3. I’ve been using that one for rehearsal  lately…along the lines of VB3m but with better UI. Takes a very close 3rd place on the Leslie sim, but fine for my needs. 

Hey brenner, could you be more specific about hot the VB3m is easier to use than B3X?  I would not want to control any virtual instrument from a tiny screen like an iPhone, I would want it to be on an iPad.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

51 minutes ago, MrVegas said:

Hey brenner, could you be more specific about hot the VB3m is easier to use than B3X?  I would not want to control any virtual instrument from a tiny screen like an iPhone, I would want it to be on an iPad.

IRC, the VB3m MIDI flexibility is better, i.e. your upper and lower drawbar controllers can be on different channels. Although VB3m works on an iPhone, it works fine on an iPad for the bigger screen.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

15 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

Vb3m, ...... your upper and lower drawbar controllers can be on different channels.

Are you certain about this?  That is not how VB3 works.  To control the lower manual drawbars for VB3 the instruction has to be on the upper channel but the keybed control on the lower channel. So to fully control the drawbars and send key data for the lower manual the drawbars are sent on channel 1 and the keybed is sent on channel 2.  I dont remember VB3m being any different but i could be wrong as i have so many organ choices that i use that i sometimes get ths setups confused.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

2 minutes ago, Delaware Dave said:

Are you certain about this?  That is not how VB3 works.  To control the lower manual drawbars for VB3 the instruction has to be on the upper channel but the keybed control on the lower channel. So to fully control the drawbars and send key data for the lower manual the drawbars are sent on channel 1 and the keybed is sent on channel 2.  I dont remember VB3m being any different but i could be wrong as i have so many organ choices that i use that i sometimes get ths setups confused.

I just loaded it up to double-check... yes, you can control the upper and lower drawbars on different channels. I remember this was a bad shortcoming (for me) on B3X, that you couldn't have the 2nd manual drawbars on the same channel the 2nd manual was set to transmit its keys on.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I watched a video of Lachy Doley sitting in with someone at a festival. I didn’t notice until the end that he was using an SK2/X through a leslie. To my ears, even the old VASE-III sound was literally indistinguishable from the real thing in the mix.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

2 hours ago, nadroj said:

I watched a video of Lachy Doley sitting in with someone at a festival. I didn’t notice until the end that he was using an SK2/X through a leslie. To my ears, even the old VASE-III sound was literally indistinguishable from the real thing in the mix.

Leslies will do that. Even the Kurz's KB3 organ sounds good through my 122.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

On 4/18/2024 at 9:33 AM, Lou_NC said:

OK, I'll bite.  Why no XB-2?  You don't like the sound?  Is it unreliable?  

I've played clonewheels since I bought my analog Korg BX-3 new in 1985.  (Before that I played a Farfisa and Leslie 760 🙂)  

Never owned an XB-2 but just wondering why it wouldn't work as a sound source through a Vent?   

XB-2 is fine.  It has balls.  I still have one that I used for years.  I wouldn’t spend much money on one.  If you find one you may be on borrowed time.  Not sure what to do with mine.  It’s Anvil case is worth more than the organ. 

1) The chip set can’t be replaced if one fails.  
2) The keys are held into to the action with two little plastic teeth that wears down or break.  I have had to replace several black keys.  Last time I did this I was able to get them through Bill Brown.  The shipping from Addison was ridiculous. Shipping cost more than the keys.  Not sure if you can still get replacement keys or not. 

Never used a Vent with it.  Always used real cabs until 2015.  

8DFADBA9-9501-4942-95BD-A1F5A35E2C35.jpeg

• Like 2

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt