Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

AudioKit Nerd Synth, new iOS AUv3 app (based on Nord Lead A1)

This was a really nice experience, grabbed it right away after reading about it yesterday night, way too late, and got stuck for an hour with it when I should have gone to bed.. 🫠

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkLxDQezX5E

Recorded a little improvisation with a really beautiful choir sound (attached) and Opsix on the bass, and then another with Prologue 16, a "juno-ish" pad, in layer with the very same choir sound.

Blurb from Synth Anatomy:

AudioKit Nerd Synth, new iOS AUv3 app captures the soul of the Nord Lead A1 Synthesizer
https://synthanatomy.com/2024/04/audiokit-nerd-synth-new-ios-auv3-app-captures-the-soul-of-the-nord-lead-a1-synthesizer.html

(I am not in any way affiliated with Synth Anathomy or AudioKit, I just really liked the sound of this soft instrument)

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

4 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

Thanks, immediate purchase! Will test it later. You’ve done a nice demo 👍🏻

Cheers, if only with one sound, but dang, that sound!

:D

• Love 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Saw this last night and thought ‘do I need yet another synth?’, but it sounds great and £4.99 hardly buys a coffee nowadays.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I like it when I find useful instruments for my iPad, it's a nice "extra" to have in the home studio, and with an M1 processor it becomes a very powerful platform for these things. I just wish Apple will release Main Stage for iPad at some point, would be really interesting to set up and start using (I never used it on Mac, don't have one, sold my last mac in 2017 and went over "to the other side" again..).

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

I was looking through the App Store last night to see what major manufacturers offer for iPad. Really, Korg have the market here despite Yamaha having more ‘apps’, they just have loads of control type apps while Korg recreate their classic instruments. There was very little available from Roland, Arturia, Kurzweil etc. and I wondered why Nord offered nothing…

I guess this is as near as we get to one 🙂

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

20 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

I was looking through the App Store last night to see what major manufacturers offer for iPad. Really, Korg have the market here despite Yamaha having more ‘apps’, they just have loads of control type apps while Korg recreate their classic instruments. There was very little available from Roland, Arthurian, Kurzweil etc. and I wondered why Nord offered nothing…

I guess this is as near as we get to one 🙂

The trend is that it's small software houses (one or a few people only) who are doing the interesting stuff music instrument wise on iOS these days. It follows a certain logic, larger corporates requires larger revenues for things to be interesting, and in our industry, and probably in all other similar industries as well, they are building this using world wide sales networks with engaged channels/resellers for creating the volumes they need to make money on lunch priced items, app store is just a transaction and delivery platform, and someone has to engage in it to make sales happen there.

I do believe Korg has done this right though with their Module platform, and selling additional content in the app, building volumes by providing a good platform for serious usage, and then making sure there is enough content released to keep the machine growing.

Personally I find the biggest surprise to be that Roland doesn't offer an iOS cloud, I would hit the subscribe button in a jiffy, and in the long run they would probably be able to convince me to grab one of their hardwares like Jupiter X as well by that.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

The combo with the Nerd choir sound, and my Juno pad on the Prologue, is just killing me, this creates suuuuuch a beautiful timbre together!

Bonus if anyone recognise the music in this one! This must for sure have been one of the first things I hacked when I bought my Juno 60 (my first synth) back as a 16-17 year old aspiring keyboardplayer... ;) 

(The original is faster, not in the same key, and played by a true Lord!)

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

1 hour ago, J.F.N. said:

I do believe Korg has done this right though with their Module platform, and selling additional content in the app, building volumes by providing a good platform for serious usage, and then making sure there is enough content released to keep the machine growing.

I realise Korg want to keep their platforms separate, but Gadget offers all the sounds (adds in your other main app purchases as plug ins) which makes buying stuff like iM1 and IMS-20 additions to your Korg ‘ecosystem’ and accessible in one app. It even brings in the main Module sound engines (piano, organ etc.), but it’s still setup for use as a DAW. I can work around it but much prefer the setup of Module for live sets. Unfortunately, it only allows the sound sets Korg release (at additional cost) and doesn’t give any value to those other apps purchased as they can’t be used.

They really need the option of adding in other Korg sounds engines/apps you own. Essentially a live version of Gadget. They would probably find it easier to adapt Gadget to this purpose, rather than develop Module but hey ho. Here’s hoping. Fair to say, Korg have nailed the iPad iPhone app market for big name synths and even a decent DAW.

Back to the original topic, might have to give this new synth a whirl.

• Like 1

I just checked and I have 5 or 6 Audiokit synths. If explaining to a total newbie, how does this one differ in terms of what it offers and assuming they are not trying to replace or recreate specific Nord sounds?

I only ask as many of the others (synth one, digital D1, king of FM, Digitalism, FM player etc.) seem to offer similar sounds/features.

I really like the waveforms from the Nord here, it's an interesting and different type of pallete. I have their FM/DX app too, which I also find quite useful.

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

YouTube link to the creator's walk through of Nerd synth.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Auch, I was supposed to practice tonight... First band rehearsal on Monday, tomorrow will be a long day.

This Nerd synth is addictive...

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

I can see why I enjoy this, Prophet VS here we come..

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

I've been using DAWs since a generation or three before I took up Logic 8. I laugh a bit at that, because it seems as though there is a serious tug of war going on between formats. Apple would LOVE for you to have an iPhone, an iPad, a laptop and a desktop at home. The crossover point between convenience and madness is pretty slim. Excessive management of your platforms will nuke part of your productivity. There's probably only a small percentage of e-music enthusiasts who peck away at an iPad in the park, only to run home and transfer it into Logic. 

If you start with an iPad, how can you not eventually feel the itch for the greater horsepower of a MacBook or iMac? I know the answer to that one: the day Apple releases a 24" foldable "pad" with a touchscreen, 16 GB of RAM and at least 1 TB of storage. 💪 

• Love 1

"It ain't over 'til the fat despot sings."
     ~ "X-Men '97"

3 minutes ago, David Emm said:

I've been using DAWs since a generation or three before I took up Logic 8. I laugh a bit at that, because it seems as though there is a serious tug of war going on between formats. Apple would LOVE for you to have an iPhone, an iPad, a laptop and a desktop at home. The crossover point between convenience and madness is pretty slim. Excessive management of your platforms will nuke part of your productivity. There's probably only a small percentage of e-music enthusiasts who peck away at an iPad in the park, only to run home and transfer it into Logic. 

If you start with an iPad, how can you not eventually feel the itch for the greater horsepower of a MacBook or iMac? I know the answer to that one: the day Apple releases a 24" foldable "pad" with a touchscreen, 16 GB of RAM and at least 1 TB of storage. 💪 

Exactly, convenience....!

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

10 hours ago, David Emm said:

the day Apple releases a 24" foldable "pad" with a touchscreen, 16 GB of RAM and at least 1 TB of storage. 💪 

iPad pro already has three out of four...

17 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

I just checked and I have 5 or 6 Audiokit synths. If explaining to a total newbie, how does this one differ in terms of what it offers and assuming they are not trying to replace or recreate specific Nord sounds?

I only ask as many of the others (synth one, digital D1, king of FM, Digitalism, FM player etc.) seem to offer similar sounds/features.

Yeah I'm addicted . I'm a compulsive Audio Kit synth buyer. And they just keep getting better and better. And at $5 bucks it's like buying a new Roland board without having to store a hardware synth. And what else will $5 buy you today? Half a hamburger? 20 miles worth of gasoline? Almost a pack of guitar strings. Or a soft synth with 400 presets, probably 100 of them useful in a song. Ok I've convinced myself.

• Like 3

FunMachine.

Curious, does this respond to aftertouch (channel or poly)? Had a play and haven’t yet seen how to assign AT nor do any patches I have tried respond so I’m assuming no…

Hmm indeed, I can't find any controller mappings anywhere either.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

1 hour ago, Baldwin Funster said:

I can't find anything anywhere to suggest that any of the many audiokit synth apps support aftertouch.

D1 has aftertouch, but it’s the only one that actually mentions it on the product page….

1 hour ago, CyberGene said:

It’s a Nord Lead A1 clone and that has no aftertouch either. 

They make it clear it’s not a clone, but inspired by, so no reason it couldn’t…but I don’t think it does respond to AT

IMG_0353.jpeg

• Like 1

Sent a message to the maker in a YouTube comment got a reply that he's now added a velocity knob for the filter, good start, let's hope he looks into the aftertouch too.

Nice with a response and actually a quick improvement!!

• Like 3

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -