Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are Behringer products good?

We're looking at two PA systems, Behringer and Fender. The price about the same. I'm not sure about Behringer. Either one would meet our needs.

Behringer EPS500MP3: $529.

500 watts(250x2)

8 channels

2 8" speakers

Fender audio passport S2: $500.

175 watts

5 channels 

1 5.25 woofer&2 2.75 tweeters x2

The Fender weighs 31lbs vs 41 for the Behringer, that could be a factor in our decision.

• Like 2

Jennifer S.

I'm pretty sure that both Fender and Behinger PA systems are made in China, so that factor cancels out. For all I know, they're made at the same factory :)

You'll have a ton of people bashing on Behringer for a variety of reasons, some justified, some not. But if we ignore that, there are some important differences.

The Behringer has four mic inputs, the Fender three mic inputs.

The two 8" speakers will give you a lot more low end than one 5.25" speaker.

The Fender is called a "conference" system, which to me implies it's more for worship, conferences, panel discussions, solo acts in small venues, etc.

More details on your intended application might help narrow things down...

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Anderton said:

I'm pretty sure that both Fender and Behinger PA systems are made in China, so that factor cancels out. For all I know, they're made at the same factory :)

You'll have a ton of people bashing on Behringer for a variety of reasons, some justified, some not. But if we ignore that, there are some important differences.

The Behringer has four mic inputs, the Fender three mic inputs.

The two 8" speakers will give you a lot more low end than one 5.25" speaker.

The Fender is called a "conference" system, which to me implies it's more for worship, conferences, panel discussions, solo acts in small venues, etc.

More details on your intended application might help narrow things down...

We're restarting an old band with a new guitar player. In the past we've used an old Peavey keyboard amp for vocals. This would be for vocals, 4 mic inputs would be best. 

Kind of answered my own question. 

• Like 3

Jennifer S.

4c313960a171d64a84746082d5706692.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

I always poke around at music stores and pawn shops to see if there are any bargains. I almost never buy brand new gear. If something is full functional it will likely continue to work well. Weight and size are factors but so are features. Might as well check Craigslist while you are it, if it's fairly active in your area. 

As always, life belongs to the swift!!! If you see something good at a good price and it tests out well (bring a mic, mic cable and a speaker cord!), then grab it and go. You may find speakers and heads at separate places. Most places have some sort of return policy to make sure that's in place before you purchase. 

• Like 4
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

23 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

I always poke around at music stores and pawn shops to see if there are any bargains. I almost never buy brand new gear. If something is full functional it will likely continue to work well. Weight and size are factors but so are features. Might as well check Craigslist while you are it, if it's fairly active in your area. 

As always, life belongs to the swift!!! If you see something good at a good price and it tests out well (bring a mic, mic cable and a speaker cord!), then grab it and go. You may find speakers and heads at separate places. Most places have some sort of return policy to make sure that's in place before you purchase. 

We're looking at all options, including Craigslist GC and our local music stores used. I might go to the swap meet this weekend and see if can find something there. 

• Like 5

Jennifer S.

3 hours ago, kpl1228 said:

4c313960a171d64a84746082d5706692.jpg

They could drop some of those chairs at my place. We don't expect any gigs in the near, maybe distant, future, so we're thinking about some block parties.

• Like 4

Jennifer S.

@surfergirl, I'm not a fan of Behringer PA equipment but I would choose their PA over the Fender in the same price range especially since you need 4 mic inputs.  Behringer is low priced equipment and you do get a bigger bang for the buck. They work great and sound great as long as they are working.  The prices are low enough that it can be cheaper to replace components than repair them in some cases.  I would suggest buying seperate-not-combo equipment (i.e. amps, mixers, effects, speakers, stands, etc.) so if anything quits working, it will be easy to buy a new Behringer replacement.  😎👍

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

I would say that new Behringer gear works better than stuff from 10 years ago so be careful about used Behringer gear. I would look for a used mixer and a used powered cabinet. You should be able to find a used EV, Yamaha or equivalent cabinet that will be louder and clearer.

• Like 5

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

@Larryz @RABidmost of the time used stuff is expensive here. But I did find by shopping around that I can piece together a system for less than $300, not only Behringer. My local store doesn't have a lot, but I'm sure that GC will have what need we need. At $300 or less I think I'll buy it myself. That I'll be like the kid who has the 🏀

• Like 3

Jennifer S.

2 hours ago, RABid said:

I would say that new Behringer gear works better than stuff from 10 years ago so be careful about used Behringer gear. I would look for a used mixer and a used powered cabinet. You should be able to find a used EV, Yamaha or equivalent cabinet that will be louder and clearer.

I agree with RABid on all counts. Behringer had to step up their game or go out of business and they did step up quite a bit. 

Yamaha, EV, JBL all make high quality gear. Much less likely to find any but Bose makes great stuff too. The best Mackie stuff is well made as well. 

• Like 4

On 4/3/2024 at 8:49 PM, surfergirl said:

We're looking at two PA systems, Behringer and Fender. The price about the same. I'm not sure about Behringer. Either one would meet our needs.

Behringer EPS500MP3: $529.

500 watts(250x2)

8 channels

2 8" speakers

Fender audio passport S2: $500.

175 watts

5 channels 

1 5.25 woofer&2 2.75 tweeters x2

The Fender weighs 31lbs vs 41 for the Behringer, that could be a factor in our decision.

The weight should be your yay/nay criteria, both units will do a good job at their intended purpose. 

• Like 1

I just ordered this Yamaha DBR10 from Sweetwater. Sweetwater has it on sale for $319.99, regular $399.99. It only has 2 mic inputs, but a hosa splitter is $15. It Weighs 23lbs, and I hope it will fit in a suitcase. I'm having it sent to my father, free shipping, I'll pick it up this summer. 70e56b2d3eVYevjcBevtfLxFRsJIcAiDzqdEfShG.wm-dh.jpg.c608254207e240d01888ca2cfb90b6a3.jpgb99e67b3affAm2kydWGypcBm5FgZYUF1986sD3Bv.jpg.db4471edc63ee1b004817d19cbef7b37.jpg

• Like 3

Jennifer S.

@surfergirl, great choice.  My Roland EX4 cube only has two inputs but it works great for me (one for guitar and one for mic).  You can always add another one later down the line if needed.  I would highly recommend you purchase a speaker stand as the unit has a 1.37" Pole Mount built in.  While it will work great as a monitor on the floor, it really makes it come alive if you can get it up off the floor about head height.  Congrats! 

😎👍

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

2 hours ago, surfergirl said:

I just ordered this Yamaha DBR10 from Sweetwater. Sweetwater has it on sale for $319.99, regular $399.99. It only has 2 mic inputs, but a hosa splitter is $15. It Weighs 23lbs, and I hope it will fit in a suitcase. I'm having it sent to my father, free shipping, I'll pick it up this summer. 70e56b2d3eVYevjcBevtfLxFRsJIcAiDzqdEfShG.wm-dh.jpg.c608254207e240d01888ca2cfb90b6a3.jpgb99e67b3affAm2kydWGypcBm5FgZYUF1986sD3Bv.jpg.db4471edc63ee1b004817d19cbef7b37.jpg

Actually, if I'm reading the label correctly, it has one mic input. Channel 2 is labeled as "Line". How does a splitter help you with this? Were you thinking of a Y cable, to Y two mics together into one input? This can work if you have two of the same model mics, otherwise balancing them becomes a real wrestling match. 

• Like 3
Scott Fraser

48 minutes ago, Scott Fraser said:

Actually, if I'm reading the label correctly, it has one mic input. Channel 2 is labeled as "Line". How does a splitter help you with this? Were you thinking of a Y cable, to Y two mics together into one input? This can work if you have two of the same model mics, otherwise balancing them becomes a real wrestling match. 

I was going to change my order to a 12" instead of the 10". I'm getting a Mackie 12" instead, $20 more. I checked both the Yamaha and Mackie manuals and both channels on the Mackie take mics. I texted my rep and waiting to here from him before I place the order. Maybe I should have done that first🤔

• Like 6

Jennifer S.

On 4/5/2024 at 12:32 PM, BMD said:

I've bought several Behringer products over the years and they've been absolutely fine. Haters always gonna hate

Some of us don't prefer to purchase products from companies that are found guilty of patent infringement in a court of law or refuse to give you a straight answer when you ask them if they use slave labor for their products. If that's known as "haters always gonna hate", then sure. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

Some of us don't prefer to purchase products from companies that are found guilty of patent infringement in a court of law or refuse to give you a straight answer when you ask them if they use slave labor for their products. If that's known as "haters always gonna hate", then sure. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

You are not wrong, Sir.

The biggest (and perhaps only) positive point that I can think of re: Behringer is that their generally low prices often put equipment in the hands of players who might otherwise have greater difficulty affording similar gear from other makers.

There are also plenty of negative points.

• Like 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

5 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

There are also plenty of negative points.

As a now fairly major corprorate conglomerate which has bought up a number of other audio companies, they are in a position where they no longer have to rely on violating patents, i.e. outrightly stealing other people's work. But in a fairly small, tightly knit industry, the legacy of their beginnings, theft and all, remains firmly attached to them.

• Like 2
Scott Fraser

Agreed. I wasn't even going to say anything, but it's really hard to refrain after someone says "haters always going to hate" as if anyone hates a particular company capriciously. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 4/6/2024 at 7:08 PM, KenElevenShadows said:

Ken, I don't know anything about this alleged lawsuit.  Without looking it up, and taking your word for it, would you say that it's possible that the company that once was has paid their restitution, the people in charge then are no longer in charge now, and they've learned and grown from their mistakes?  I'm not trying to excuse what was done, but maybe they've made amends? 

Our church has some Behringer gear, some of which was bought before I really became a part of the tech team, and I think it's really great equipment.  Even if what you say is true I can't just get rid of it, but I would like to know moving forward whether they should be supported or not.  And granted I won't base my thoughts on just your opinion, but it would be nice to know your further thoughts. 

1 hour ago, Cmaq said:

Ken, I don't know anything about this alleged lawsuit.  Without looking it up, and taking your word for it, would you say that it's possible that the company that once was has paid their restitution, the people in charge then are no longer in charge now, and they've learned and grown from their mistakes?  I'm not trying to excuse what was done, but maybe they've made amends? 

Our church has some Behringer gear, some of which was bought before I really became a part of the tech team, and I think it's really great equipment.  Even if what you say is true I can't just get rid of it, but I would like to know moving forward whether they should be supported or not.  And granted I won't base my thoughts on just your opinion, but it would be nice to know your further thoughts. 

I myself will never buy anything Behringer, new or used.

I also would not find fault with anyone who choses to buy or use any of it.

EVERYONE in 'First World' economies has bought goods and services originating in theft and slavery and undue advantage being taken over someone less fortunate. Usually unknowingly. 

"Are Behringer products good?"

No. They're not good. They're evil.

• Like 3

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

52 minutes ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

EVERYONE in 'First World' economies has bought goods and services originating in theft and slavery and undue advantage being taken over someone less fortunate. Usually unknowingly. 

Like your made in the USA clothing that may have been made in the Northern Mariana Islands in sweat shops.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jennifer S.

3 hours ago, Cmaq said:

Ken, I don't know anything about this alleged lawsuit.

There have been several lawsuits. I was an expert witness in a lawsuit brought by Aphex, which resulted in a settlement that was favorable to the plaintiff. However, to be fair, that was 30 years ago. Behringer claims that it has not lost “any substantial IP case” since the Aphex suit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, surfergirl said:

Like your made in the USA clothing that may have been made in the Northern Mariana Islands in sweat shops.

Or like the guy that used to buy stuff from me that I imported from the manufacturer in China, and he would put "Made in the USA" stickers on them and sell them for more than three times what he paid.  And don't think he is the only one who does that.

• Like 1
  • Annoyed 1
I rock; therefore, I am.

Back to the genesis of this thread. We trying to put our old band back together with a new guitar player. Work, scheduling and other factors, including my liking the freedom I have outside of a band settings, have thrown up some obstacles. We where looking at purchasing a PA system, eventually canceling or returning everything and realizing that a good system was out of our reach and not practical for our needs.

To make a long story short, to late for that🙂, we are still making plans, but it will be a bit longer. As for a PA system we will use the house PA if available, and in reality most of our gigs are small enough that a PA isn't really necessary.

Jennifer S.

The range of options is huge now, like a bouquet of flowers a mile wide. I've found that some of the simplest things deliver well year after year. I'll always remain wary of B due to management's quirky bad manners, but time wasted judging other people's gear choices is time not available for sniffing after my own next Shiny Thing. If you buy upscale for more vital pieces like a mixer, you have flex room for a few small risks. Sometimes the piece you doubted ends up being a winner and vice versa. 

The Zoom MS-70CDR pedal is modest, but wow, what a creative punch it has! If I'd had one of those in the 80s, I would have crapped a jet ski. :rawk:

Do what makes you happy this week.
So long as it’s not eating people.
Eating people is bad.
People have diseases.
      ~ Warren Ellis