Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Softsynth Advice

3 hours ago, Stokely said:

I know Logic has a transpose midi plugin you can add to each channel...I've been in a couple bands that transpose down a half step, and when I was on windows (Ableton Live) this was a bit of a challenge.

Yes the Modifier in MainStage is the same as that in Logic. Very useful tool.

On 4/4/2024 at 4:44 PM, RABid said:

And by the way, if the MainStage version of sounds are not enough Logic Pro is only $199

I thought the Mainstage sounds were the same as the Logic sounds, no?

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

9 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

I thought the Mainstage sounds were the same as the Logic sounds, no?

Yes. It’s the same library. It's quite massive, a huge asset. Based on over a decade of performing with it and loving it however, I would still say there are third party tools which can be more directly aligned with your musical goals. Personally, I have no regrets about using the ecosystem, but if I was do it again, I would take a peek outside the ecosystem sooner. YMMV

All great advice; much appreciated.  I'm going to jump in the (slightly) deep end and try Omnisphere running in stand-alone mode on a MacBook Air (M2) and see where that takes me.  Not sure if I'll just drive it from my Nord Stage or add in a dedicated controller.  Controller might be better if I end up needing to fire patterns, etc as I'd rather do that from a controller than a computer.  Can always add in a VST host like Gig Performer if needed.

Wish me luck ;)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Keysmcgee said:

All great advice; much appreciated.  I'm going to jump in the (slightly) deep end and try Omnisphere running in stand-alone mode on a MacBook Air (M2) and see where that takes me.  Not sure if I'll just drive it from my Nord Stage or add in a dedicated controller.  Controller might be better if I end up needing to fire patterns, etc as I'd rather do that from a controller than a computer.  Can always add in a VST host like Gig Performer if needed.

Wish me luck ;)

Cantabile has a free forever version that might just fill all needs and usage btw. There may not be a need for a paid version of any like application.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 9:23 PM, Deskew Tech said:

Fortunately, Gig Performer allows you to run multiple instances 🙂

Apologies for neglecting to mention that. 

I make software noises.

Others have said this but I'll ad my vote:

If you already have a Mac and are somewhat familiar with how a DAW works, Mainstage is just too cheap and easy not to be your starting point.  Synthwise, you can cover almost anything to 95% accuracy with what is already in there.  The organ is really good. The electric pianos are maybe not hi fidelity to the originals, but I find they're very useful in a live situation. The only thing I don't like in Mainstage are the acoustic piano, and for that I use Keyscape, although there's many cheaper alternatives for Pianos.

It can be resource heavy, but through the use of alias patches and channel strips you can really cut down on the number of same instances you have running.

Also...Space Designer. It's a fantastic reverb and for some reason it's in a lot of the standard patches in Mainstage. Minimize it's use! Other reverbs are indistinguishable in a live situation and use way less resources.

If you have one of the new Apple silicon computers, they seem to be able to run ridiculous amounts of stuff simultaneously.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

I agree. A 100% Omnisphere setup running standalone would not be my choice for covering the kind of material the OP mentioned in the first post. You're putting all your "synth sound" eggs in one basket. Omnisphere is of course a great app with amazing sounds but I have a feeling the Logic/Mainstage collection is just more diverse, since it includes multiple synths, each with their own strengths. Though it probably doesn't matter in the studio, for live performance I would also rate Mainstage or Gig Performer more flexible in terms of being able to instantly call up different combinations of sounds with controls mapped to hardware exactly the way you want - these apps do that real well.

Keysmcgee, if you're dropping that kind of cash for Omnisphere, what's another $30, really? You can run Omnisphere inside Mainstage, or maybe run it standalone if you think that suits your needs better - but you'll have all those Logic sounds that are built for the kind of music you want to do. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

In my book, it is always better to use a plugin inside a VST host than a standalone app. Why? Because your needs develop over time. For example, you'll want to:

- make keyboard splits layering two different plugins
- create velocity splits
- modify a response from your keys using scaling curves
- automate things using markers and Timeline
- use audio and MIDI backing tracks
- record your inputs, record all MIDI, record your outputs, or part of a signal chain
- process MIDI events (isolate bass notes, highest notes, filter MIDI events, remap, etc.)
- control external hardware
- use a Stream Deck device in your setup

This will happen sooner or later. This is my own experience, I first used hardware, then standalone versions of plugins and finally, plugins. The needs develop over time.

• Like 2
Member of the Gig Performer team

It's a very good point that if the OP wishes to do sequenced arrangements and other features of a live set he will need a full featured daw/host at some point. Live mode in Omnisphere is pretty good at multi-timbrality and allows you load your own samples. You can work outward from that framework as you build a set.

If the OP goes down the path of DAW/Host arrangements, he will have a choice of clip based (Ableton) and linear (Logic) metaphors. Most DAWS now offer a bit of both. I've sometimes begun a set relying on sequences (linear), and then converted things to clips (triggered/improvised). Modern tools are flexible. A piece of content can begin in one platform and migrate over time. Don't worry about wrong turnings. There are many good ways to do a thing. It reminds me of this story by Dave Rosenthal. 😅 

He was helping Bruce Springsteen's E street band to transition to laptop sound sources, so while Roy Bittan and others were rehearsing, he used their keyboard midi outputs to feed into the laptop rig, carefully tweaking the sounds until he could fool them. 

image.thumb.png.b665a626b32f4a41c005e8e8c75df603.png

• Like 1