Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

10 hours ago, AROIOS said:

It's here.

We're f*ed. 😆

https://www.suno.ai/

"You grant to Suno and our affiliates, successors, assigns, and designees a worldwide, non-exclusive, fully paid-up, sublicensable (directly and indirectly through multiple tiers), assignable, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable right and license to use, reproduce, store, modify, distribute, create derivative works based on, perform, display, communicate, transmit and otherwise make available any and all Content (in whole or in part) in any media now known or hereafter developed, in connection with the provision, use, monetization, promotion, marketing, and improvement of our products and services, including the Service. For the avoidance of doubt, this license authorizes us to make your Content available to and sublicense Content to other users of the Service as necessary to provide the Service, and you further grant to Suno the worldwide, fully paid-up, sublicensable, assignable, perpetual and irrevocable right to identify to the public (both on and off the Service) that Output (or any of it) was generated via the Service. Such additional uses by Suno and other users of the Service is made without compensation to you or any other provider of the Submissions with respect to the Content, as the use of the Service by you is hereby agreed as being sufficient compensation for the Content and grant of rights herein. Furthermore, and for the avoidance of doubt, you irrevocably waive any and all so-called 'moral rights' or 'droit moral' that may exist in or in connection with the Content."

To be fair, it's non-exclusive. And the boilerplate basically says they will use what you create to further the service. Still, the reality is that what you "create" with Suno is not yours. Which frankly, it never was anyway.

• Like 1

So...I listened to a bunch of the music that Suno generated. It's great for generic soundtracks behind videos where no one is supposed to pay attention to the music anyway. But were there any amazing listening experiences that I'd come back to time and time again? No.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Anderton said:

So...I listened to a bunch of the music that Suno generated. It's great for generic soundtracks behind videos where no one is supposed to pay attention to the music anyway. But were there any amazing listening experiences that I'd come back to time and time again? No.

IMO, background music is the domain AI will be used to save time and money. It will put the squeeze on those who create library music.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

IMO, background music is the domain AI will be used to save time and money. It will put the squeeze on those who create library music.😎

Absolutely. I steal soundtracks from myself :) I take songs and strip away vocals, leads, and other elements that aren't sufficiently "background."

With AI there is an analogy with samplers, which allowed film composers to do orchestral music without orchestras. The main difference is you still needed someone to write the music, which isn't the case with AI.

I wonder if Ken Lee is going to ask Suno to create a song about zombie Teletubbies. I would definitely click on that!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Anderton said:

I wonder if Ken Lee is going to ask Suno to create a song about zombie Teletubbies. I would definitely click on that!

Not so far. I haven't messed around with AI-generated music, actually. Perhaps some day.

IMG_2365 2024-02-03 Teletubbies Horror Zombie images AI Bing.JPG

On 3/25/2024 at 9:42 AM, Anderton said:

Absolutely. I steal soundtracks from myself :) I take songs and strip away vocals, leads, and other elements that aren't sufficiently "background."

Mark Shreeve z''l did this for years. His five CDs for Bruton Music are all tracks from his albums with different mixes and SFX like screaming babies, maniacal laughter, and exploding jet fighters removed. I went through them all out of curiosity and matched them to his album output; he did do some originals for the library CDs, but not many.

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Just like ChatGPT and Dall-E, there is an effective and ineffective way to use services like Suno (I'm trying to be careful about terms like good/bad or right/wrong).

When ChatGPT 3.5 appeared, I was very clear with my kids (who were in high school)...they should use it as frequently as Google, but they need to understand that everything that comes out of ChatGPT should be treated as a STARTING point for their paper or project. And sure enough, my daughters used ChatGPT in their last years of high school with great success despite a blanket ban on that and Grammarly in the school districts. Hundreds of kids got caught because...well, you can imagine. Uncanny valley, etc.

Dall-E and the late Stable Diffusion presented a different problem for me and the company I work for, but after a few years, it became clear that I can easily see what is and isn't a completely unadulterated image produced solely from a prompt. I bet you can too, even with no artistic skills. That will eventually change (think of the evolution of piano samples), but for now, in our reports and other deliverables, it's clear which directors tried to save money by not commissioning a designer for images. What GenAI does really well for image production is ASSIST or ENABLE a designer to do their best work, like how Adobe has implemented AI.

Then there is Suno. Before we talk about that, let's look at the state of electronic music right now. My Akai MPC One+, a pretty fully featured hardware DAW for under $800 new, has my Splice account built into it. When I need a drum loop, I just buy it from Splice and it's in the MPC. Also, Akai just released Stems, a plug in that can separate drums, bass, and vocals from a stereo file. And that's just in the limited and closed Akai OS. Ableton Live has an extensible programming language, and of course, plug ins have been made that do just about anything you imagine, not just emulating instruments. A few months ago, Google had released a beta of Bard, which could vaguely plunk out a classical piece or maybe a disjointed song that sounded like a vintage 78 played on a record player with wonky voltage. Fast forward to today, and I ask Suno to generate a pop song that sings about independence and romance, and in 90 seconds, it pops out two versions of a bed along with a set of lyrics that, while not exactly Sting or even Desmond Child, are instantly recognizable as song lyrics. And they are not good lyrics, but these are early days. Still, you'd think people would learn from other shortcuts in their lives, from autocorrect to autofocus, that using devices as a FIRST DRAFT is the most effective way to use this technology. It's not ready to replace a good composer yet, but it can free up a bunch of brainpower to enable that good composer to be great, especially when music composition is your job and not just your passion.

In my observation and opinion.

• Like 1

"For instance" is not proof.

Way back in my teens, I started recording from an Akai stereo reel to reel to a stereo cassette deck using a Tapco 6 channel mixer so I could add parts as I went. I could only go back and forth a couple of times but it was enough.

Eventually I got a Tascam Port-Studio 4 track cassette deck. Then, a friend had a half inch 8 track setup he wanted me to tweak so I got some use of that. Another friend had a small 8 track studio set up next door to the place where my band practiced and I had a key to his place. Now I have a DAW (Waveform 12.5) and a MOTU M6 and some mics and small monitors and I can pretty much do whatever I want. 

I understand AI will be used by others and it will improve as it goes. I doubt it will change anything about the way I do things. If everybody is happy then I am happy for them... 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I wonder how the platform was prompted and more details about the dataset would be nice…

This seems most analogous to the “bubble gum pop” machine during the 60-70’s. Im not saying that an algorithm alone will come up with interesting hooks, so prompt engineers may well become a “real” thing. From the outside, it does seem like session musicians are and have been hard hit for years now. Whether by thr advent of sequencers, workstations, daws etc, and now “hyper automation” (AI).

Fun to “let go” of a ongoing lifetime of touchstones while listening to lyrics from yester-year, such as Numan’s: Engineers, and how they track with our current machine interactions.

PEACE

_
_
_

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre