Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Attenuate sound from keyboard

So, I'm using a Kurzweil Forte, going direct into a Yamaha DXR10. For this particular gig, turning up the volume slider to like 2 out of 10, and keeping the monitor's input at that same relative position (reading somewhere between 'off' and -20db) is plenty loud.

The challenge is twofold: first, I have very little room to adjust volume if/as necessary. Second, I'm also sending signal to a board for recording, and they're not getting the amount of signal they'd like.

So, I think what I'd like to be able to do is to be able to send a louder signal (like, have the volume @ 50% on the Kurzweil) to the sound board, while also sending a quieter signal to my amp.

I've never had this issue before, but it's also my first gig with the Forte, so I'm learning more about it. Anyway, is there an easy solution here? I can always add a mixer, but having another thing to plug in is a sub-optimal solution.

Umm....why not turn the volume of the DXR10 down further?  Be sure the DXR is set to receive a line signal and not a mic signal.

On my DXR (set to receive a line signal), with the DXR volume set at unity, I have to keep the keyboard volume at <50% or else the speaker output is unbearably loud.  It seems unusual to me that you are getting unbearably loud output with the  DXR volume set to -20 and a keyboard volume of 20%

Alternatively, you could buy a small mixer so you can send the keyboard signal to the mixer and then send one volume to your DXR10 and send a different volume to your FOH/recording device.

I also use a Forte,  believe it or not but a mixer in between IS probably the easiest solution.  The only other solution i can think of that is easy is to turn up the Forte volume slider to 50% then turn down your monitor.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

2 minutes ago, CHarrell said:

I'm not familiar with the Forte, but I've played some keyboards that have a discrete "Output Volume" setting that jumps in intervals of 6dB, does the Kurz have this? 

The PC3 series has this but the Forte does not.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I'm plugged into the DXR's line level input, and that level can't get any quieter... it's sitting somewhere between -infinity and -20. 

Sounds like a mixer is the answer? I was hoping folks with deeper audio experience might have some simple-but-not-obvious-to-the-lay-person alternative :)

1 minute ago, CHarrell said:

That's weird, isn't Forte the flagship?

It was, now it is the K2700.  I found the Forte to run slightly hotter than the PC3; I could not find that master adjustment that was in the PC3 on the Forte. Several people including Dave Weiser confirmed that 'feature' was not moved forward to the Forte. Bummer ....

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

19 minutes ago, BluMunk said:

I'm plugged into the DXR's line level input, and that level can't get any quieter... it's sitting somewhere between -infinity and -20. 

Sounds like a mixer is the answer? I was hoping folks with deeper audio experience might have some simple-but-not-obvious-to-the-lay-person alternative :)

How many programs are you using on the Forte? You could go into each program/Multi that you use and edit each program/multi, go to the "common" tab and reduce the output by -10 or -15 db for each one, that would deliver a lower level output signal. 

You could also purchase two attenuators that reduce the output by -20db, putting one on each output cord of the Forte, something similar to this:   Link

This is why I said before that a mixer is probably the easiest solution.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

17 hours ago, BluMunk said:

There is a switch for the combo XLR/TRS jacks for mic/line. Is the switch set to “Line” mode? If you are using the RCA input jacks, those are designed for consumer-level inputs (think stereo equipment). 

• 2 weeks later...

There are also stereo inline attenuators out there. You could repurpose any passive monitor speaker switcher to do this as well. It's a fair bit of money for a single function, but one small box with a single control (a big-ass volume knob) might be exactly what you need.

A few examples: I have an A Designs ATTY and an SM Pro Audio iNano in my toolbox. There are other options, like the Mackie Big Knob Passive , the ESI MoCo , and the Radial SAT-2

And, of course, if you don't care about using miniplug cables or great audio quality, you can type "stereo inline attenuator" into Amazon and be rewarded with links to dozens of cheap ones meant for stereo systems, all by no-name overseas manufacturers with prices well under $20.... YMMV but I wouldn't....

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music