Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Numa Compact 2X through a Leslie

OK, that explains it!!  All I have been missing this whole time was just a real LESLIE!!  Oh, and...talent.

Seriously...sounded pretty damn good to me.  Great demo.

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

It's been said before that making a digital recreation of tonewheels is a solved problem. A digital recreation of a Leslie is where the competition is today. (That old Casio XW-P1 or whatever it was called sounded pretty legit through a Vent).

Cheers, Mike.

6 hours ago, stoken6 said:

It's been said before that making a digital recreation of tonewheels is a solved problem. A digital recreation of a Leslie is where the competition is today. (That old Casio XW-P1 or whatever it was called sounded pretty legit through a Vent).

Cheers, Mike.

Amen ... my buddies dad's VK-09 through a 147 sounded pretty convincing in 1984 to this 18 year old's (at the time) ears.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

Yeah ive been looking at quite a few of this guys videos weeks ago.

A few months before that i found he had a conversion tip for the 2x of making an in-line volume knob to mount externally on the left side. So i figured worth looking at a few more of his videos

Originally I stumbled on him by googling for any one hacking / modding a 2x by mounting a left mounted volume knob inside or If the existing volume tone area is on a seperate board and could be moved to the left with a bit of modding

Or perhaps using the volume pedal output to a fader mounted in the chassis on the left side

This guy has interesting no bullshit stuff. 

Thanks for this. I was going to start a post like "what's the best value Hammond clone to use with a real Leslie?" I have a chance to use a real Leslie for some gigs, and don't even have to carry it or keep it at my house.

I normally use a YC88 with extra controller for both AP/EP and B3 duties. I could set it up with B3 panned to one side and everything else to the other and use it with the Leslie. But I usually have piano in stereo, so that's not a great option.

I already own a NC-2x but never took the organ (through its internal Leslie sim) seriously. But maybe I have my answer based on this video.

20 hours ago, Dave Number Four said:

maybe I have my answer based on this video

I expect lots of clones to sound great through a real Leslie. I bet the Yamaha CK61 would be awesome. 

The challenge is if you need a "clone-plus", doing organ duties and other things. I believe the Numa and the CK61 both suffer from not being able to pan individual instruments L/R.

Regards, Mike.

• Like 2

If you have a real Leslie then it's the tone of the clone that matters. 

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

31 minutes ago, Outkaster said:

If you have a real Leslie then it's the tone of the clone that matters. 

Also the "artifacts" make a difference -- key click, leakage, crosstalk, the portion of the overdrive that comes from the organ (besides what comes from the Leslie)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)