Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Small mixer recommendation for live keys and vocals

1 hour ago, Werno said:

The reverb/delay effects can be chosen and adjusted from the board, while eqs, hi-pass filters, compressors, and limiters' adjustments are only accessible within the app but are stored in recallable setups- which can be saved/recalled directly in the unit, or stored and recalled from the app. The dozen (or more?) setups that can be recalled directly from the unit can be stepped through with a footswitch, or you can choose to use the footswitch to mute effects for stage patter. A short tap on the 'mute' button has the same Efx muting effect, a longer press mutes everything and makes every light on the unit flash.

In the photo I posted above the yellow 'main' button is lit, meaning that the sliders and the green-light-ringed knob are controlling the main mix. Just above that lit button are 2 other pairs of buttons- push one of the upper pair and the sliders and knob will act as sends and output respectively for an effect engine, push either of the two right above the lit one and you're setting levels for one of the aux buses. The green light ring will change to reflect the output level of the currently active bus- Efx 1 or 2, Aux 1 or 2, or main. Not a motorized fader, but it immediately shows the output level of the selected bus as you switch between them.

A yellow light at the top of each slider lights when its position isn't aligned with the level of its channel for the currently selected bus; said slider has no effect until you move it to/thru the current value, at which point the light goes out and it takes control of the level.  The tiny little illuminated display also shows a graphic display of the slider's position in relation to the current value as soon as you move a slider, so there's guidance as to which direction and how far you have to move it before it has an effect. Again, not a motorized fader but it gives you guidance and gets to be intuitive pretty fast. 

Re relying on an app, I have an 'old' phone my daughter outgrew that runs the app, so I'm using it as a 'dedicated' remote control; as long as I don't update the OS, drop it down a stairwell or plop it into a toilet it's likely to be usable for the foreseeable future. 

Didn't mean to rewrite the manual, but FWIW that's how it works.

I'm surprised that they would have effects controllable via hardware but not EQ...I mean, analog consoles without effects were the norm for a long time, so not having EQ controllable without the app seems unusual to me.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

On 2/27/2024 at 1:27 PM, Mighty Motif Max said:

I was going to recommend the MG10X/XU but you said that was a bit too deep. That’s my gig mixer, and I use a mic stand adapter to mount it to a mic stand base. Easy, small footprint.

For something that fits the requirements, price, AND sounds good I'd 2nd the Yamaha MGs as well.  There's models with knobs or faders.  I know you want it really small but it will likely serve more in the long run.
I also think a small digi mixer and using Mix Station via your phone, tablet, etc would do the job well too since you mention it's mainly set and forget with slight voc adjustments here and there.  Very portable.

You mentioned:

Mackie Mix12FX 12-channel Compact Mixer with Effects

Under $150 and easy to return if you dont dig it.

I agree with not wanting to mess with menus, encoders, layers, and apps.

Give me a dedicated control surface for a gig

Ive used an ancient origianl Mackie 1202 for years, which I purchased new.

Built like a tank, and it keeps ticking; does the job and sounds fine (no efx tho) ... another workhorse mackie is the "newer" 2nd gen version, but still ancinet, 1202VLZ. Widely available on the used mrkt; no efx on that one either.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That Mackie Mix12FX definitely looks like great bang for the buck!

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro