Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone Seen the Bob Marley Biopic Yet?

I saw it with my wife for Valentine's Day date night and we both really enjoyed it. We rarely go to the movie theater. This wasn't really on my radar until we saw a feature on CBS Sunday Morning a few weeks ago and this totally hooked us on it. Check it out here.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/video/thKYFW6u6hqVH8v66fDovMq7erooSmYM/

I love that Ziggy Marley was heavily involved in this movie and it even starts with him giving a brief introduction, indicating he was on site every day to be sure that the movie was an accurate depiction of his dad's life and story.

Also, the son of original bass player Family Man Aston Barrett played the part of his dad, which is cool. It was a good mix of music, history, and Bob's journey. Kingsley Ben-Adir did a very nice job playing the part of Bob, aka Skipper.

I highly recommend it!

4 hours ago, eric said:

I saw it with my wife for Valentine's Day date night and we both really enjoyed it. We rarely go to the movie theater. This wasn't really on my radar until we saw a feature on CBS Sunday Morning a few weeks ago and this totally hooked us on it. Check it out here.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/video/thKYFW6u6hqVH8v66fDovMq7erooSmYM/

I love that Ziggy Marley was heavily involved in this movie and it even starts with him giving a brief introduction, indicating he was on site every day to be sure that the movie was an accurate depiction of his dad's life and story.

Also, the son of original bass player Family Man Aston Barrett played the part of his dad, which is cool. It was a good mix of music, history, and Bob's journey. Kingsley Ben-Adir did a very nice job playing the part of Bob, aka Skipper.

I highly recommend it!

Thanks for this. 

Bob was a major, major influence during my teenage years, and having watched and read most documentaries/bios available up until about the mid-90s, I was extremely wary of this thing, but now it sounds like it might be worth watching...

• Like 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

I've played keys in a Marley/Wailers tribute band for the last 12 years or so, and I've learned at least 100 of his tunes. IMHO, Marley wasn't just a great reggae artist, he was a major voice of his time, and a songwriter on par with Dylan and Joni. And The Wailers were among the best live bands of the 70's, regardless of genre.

I've read most of the books and seen all the documentaries, but I haven't seen the new feature yet, but based on what I've seen and read about it, it looks really good.

• Like 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

3 hours ago, NewImprov said:

And The Wailers were among the best live bands of the 70's, regardless of genre.

The rhythm section of Aston "Family Man" Barrett and Carlton Barrett was an amazing breath of fresh air. When I heard "Catch a Fire" back in '72 it made as much of an impression on me as the first Hendrix album. From what I understand Marley also had a spiritual significance in many parts of the world. 

Credit to Chris Blackwell, too, for funding/producing "Catch a Fire" and being relentless in promoting Marley as a global act of cultural significance. But I know he wasn't well-regarded at all by Tosh and Livingston, who felt marginalized. I wonder if the movie went into that. Or into Cindy Breakspeare. I guess I'll find out when I see it.

• Like 1