Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Music Documentaries & Comedies

There's been a few threads about music documentaries lately - Greatest Night In Pop, The Last Repair Shop, Score: A Film Music Documentary.

This reminded me of a film on Netflix called Fred Armisen: Standup For Drummers.   It's not a documentary, more of a live comedy special, but there is, I think, a "mockumentary" aspect to it.   Because I find Fred very funny, I can forgive him for not being into jazz (I suspect that, in real life, he probably likes jazz and blues more than he's letting on).

The show is very entertaining from start to finish, but what stands out for me is the section at the end where the four (rock) drummers play; three on drumkit (Stella Mozgawa, Tres Cool, and Thomas Lang) and Fred on timbales.   They all play the same really basic rock beat.   They each play it alone for 4 bars, then they all play together at the end.  What intrigues me is that when they play solo, you can really hear a difference in each player.  Not just the sound, which is understandable, but the feel.   There's a noticeable difference between each player.   I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir for most of you, but perhaps there are some young musicians here that might benefit from this observation?

• Like 1