Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

It was sixty years ago today...

This afternoon I was at the gym, riding an exercise bike while reading the book "The Last Days of John Lennon" by David Patterson.  I read how The Beatles appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show on February 9, 1964, and I said "Hey, that was sixty years ago today!"  I've been so busy lately with a situation that I will write about in the near future that I completely forgot about the Beatles sixtieth anniversary.  In fact, it is technically now February 10th as I write this.  Anyways, thank you John, Paul, George, and Ringo, for changing the lives of so many people for the better with your music.  And on a side note, the name of the despicable psycho who murdered John Lennon should never be mentioned.  Evil should not be glorified.

• Like 6
I rock; therefore, I am.

I was 9 years old and the Beatles did a 3 week stint on the Ed Sullivan show. 
Our family watched all three shows, we always watched the Ed Sullivan show anyway. 

My dad said "Well, they look weird but they sound good." 

The rest of us loved the Beatles. I still think they were truly great!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I watched the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show 60 years ago. And whenever they were on the tube thereafter. I was not an instant admirer of the Beatles until Sargent Pepper. I drove to Atlantic City New Jersey to buy that album and also bought the 8 track tape so we could listen to it on the way back to Long Beach Island New Jersey. I also got the Are You Experienced Hendrix album that day. Until that trip to AC, I was a died in the wool a-Capella singer and fan. But The Beatles, Hendrix, and Cream were my go to guys from that trip to AC and bought the albums above.

• Like 2

The Beatles performing I Wanna Hold Your Hand on Ed Sullivan will count as one of the most significant TV programs of all time. It also helped boost CBS ratings for the rest of the sixties.

• Like 2

I had just turned 14 years old and became an instant Beatles fan when the show aired.  For me, Elvis, The Beatles, The Beach Boys and The Rolling Stones were all the rage and then CCR came along.  Ed Sullivan showcased them all.  I loved all of them through high school and I still do...Here's one of my favorite tunes and early performances back in '64 even though Ringo was not on drums.  I think John's rhythm guitar and George's harmony vocal were really cool!

😎😎😎😎

• Like 3
Take care, Larryz

6 hours ago, Ivan May said:

The Beatles performing I Wanna Hold Your Hand on Ed Sullivan will count as one of the most significant TV programs of all time. It also helped boost CBS ratings for the rest of the sixties.

That was a genuine live performance, with no lip synching, because that's what real musicians do.

• Like 3
I rock; therefore, I am.

There is something more than the typical elements involved. You can tap into inspiration, ideas: understand, hear and see the concepts, but there is also an energy felt, heard, even thought/perceived expressed which can be experienced by an audience of one or millions and it can be so significant it changes the world and has lasting power long after the vehicle of delivery has diminished. Great influence can be dramatic, violent and painful. It can also come packaged as a band of musicians and their music.

• Like 5

Ps. In reviewing the video I posted above (i.e., All My Loving), I found George Hybrid Picking at 1:02.  He's a player I admired when I first started playing guitar and still do.  I think maybe that's why I use Hybrid Picking to this day.  Thanks George! 😎👍

• Like 4
Take care, Larryz