Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland Cloud Subscribers - Galaxias?

Has anyone installed Galaxias?  

A few questions - it seems to include all of Roland's instruments.  Is there anything that they omitted?  

How does it perform on your computer?  Needs a modern processor, RAM, storage? 

Do they offer it as a standalone app with full MIDI implementation?  Can you use program changes to jump through setups like a song list?  

Or is it only offered as an AU/VST/AAX as a plugin in another host, ie. MainStage?  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I’ve installed it. It runs as a standalone app that offers some MIDI control of mappable macros. Not sure about program changes.

It will host whatever cloud instruments you have installed. It doesn’t include anything by itself except effects. Has a couple of inserts and sends on each channel.

I’ve got Win 11 on an i7 13xxx and Galaxias runs ok. The cloud instruments are pretty hungry as it is, so it depends on what you plugged in.

There’s no compelling reason for me to use it since I have Gig Performer, and for me Galaxias is not a substitute for a live VST host.

There are some fun presets that could spark some layer ideas with the different cloud instruments.

It’s kind of a weird idea, but I guess if you have Cloud and no other host (why???), it could be useful. 

I make software noises.

7 minutes ago, johnchop said:

I’ve installed it. It runs as a standalone app that offers some MIDI control of mappable macros. Not sure about program changes.

It will host whatever cloud instruments you have installed. It doesn’t include anything by itself except effects. Has a couple of inserts and sends on each channel.

I’ve got Win 11 on an i7 13xxx and Galaxias runs ok. The cloud instruments are pretty hungry as it is, so it depends on what you plugged in.

There’s no compelling reason for me to use it since I have Gig Performer, and for me Galaxias is not a substitute for a live VST host.

There are some fun presets that could spark some layer ideas with the different cloud instruments.

It’s kind of a weird idea, but I guess if you have Cloud and no other host (why???), it could be useful. 

Thank you for that!

So if you say, have the $19.99 ultimate subscription, then you have access to the lot and it all runs inside Galaxias.  It LOOKS like their intention here is to build a host that we would use for live and production.   So having MIDI implementation is important for that purpose. 

Yes I’d say that’s the intention, as there is reference to Setlists and Scenes in the product. L

I haven’t played with setlists yet.

If they don’t support seamless switching and instant patch loading, I’m not sure it’s worth pursuing. Haven’t RTFM yet :)

• Like 1
I make software noises.

I'm curious about this as well.  I'd like to see something like Korg Kronos, setlist to call up combination of sounds, within that combination have scenes to change programs.  Better yet, Korg release a Kronos software standalone version.

1 hour ago, sherry said:

I'm curious about this as well.  I'd like to see something like Korg Kronos, setlist to call up combination of sounds, within that combination have scenes to change programs.  Better yet, Korg release a Kronos software standalone version.

That hasn’t been their approach thus far, but Korg was far and away the first to get into the software game of the big 3.    If you have their Korg Collection 4, you really need a host like Gig Performer or MainStage etc. to build something Kronos-like. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

That hasn’t been their approach thus far, but Korg was far and away the first to get into the software game of the big 3.    If you have their Korg Collection 4, you really need a host like Gig Performer or MainStage etc. to build something Kronos-like. 

First and the best! Korg's software offerings are second to none, and the fact they release their newest big synths in software is awesome (though maybe not for your CPU). 

Still, especially with the Oasys infrastructure being almost 20 years old now, you wonder when/if they're going to give it the Triton treatment.

4 minutes ago, zephonic said:

I don’t think Kronos has been virtualized yet? I wish!

Not as a software workstation, you've got to piece it together from Korg Collection (which doesn't have much of the Kronos sampling work, especially pianos) in a host to get it working together.  

2 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Not as a software workstation, you've got to piece it together from Korg Collection (which doesn't have much of the Kronos sampling work, especially pianos) in a host to get it working together.  

And even then, the hodgepodge of instruments gone by isn't a true substitute for the relatively modern engines Korg has had with the Kronos.

I remember it as sort of Space Invaders on steroids.  It was kind of fun. 

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

8 minutes ago, CEB said:

I remember it as sort of Space Invaders on steroids.  It was kind of fun. 

Galaga was a fav of mine as a kid.  They did a version for the Atari 2600.  I snatched that up really quick.  There was a similar game called Galaxian.  

9 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Galaga was a fav of mine as a kid.  They did a version for the Atari 2600.  I snatched that up really quick.  There was a similar game called Galaxian.  

All these years and I thought they were the same game! 😭

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CHarrell said:

All these years and I thought they were the same game! 😭

A misspent youth.  You could have been burning your quarters on both machines!   

I had to cross some busy streets, the type you have to look both ways, to get to the pizza shop for a  dollar slice, fifty cent Coke and a pocket full of quarters for the machines.  

I'm curious about the experience Galaxias users have with re-entering their passwords. I love my Cloud D-50, but it dings me if I don't use it for about 10 days. It feels a bit pushy. By contrast, Cherry Audio has asked for that only 3 or 4 times in as many years. I loosely wonder where the proverbial line is about how necessary that really is. The D-50 has made me go ARGH more than once, cropping up just as I'm hitting a note. How does it KNOW?? :curse::rolleyes: 

Of course, if you're swimming around in their full catalog with only a few outside instruments, it'd be less of an issue, but I prefer having a broader range of things. Omnisphere still seems to be the only tool for which I could imagine abandoning most, if not all of my others.

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

9 hours ago, CHarrell said:

with the Oasys infrastructure being almost 20 years old now, you wonder when/if they're going to give it the Triton treatment.

The difference is that AFAIK the Triton sound engine is not in any current Korg board, and hasn't been for a good while, whereas almost the entirety of the OASYS is still current product... it's mostly the same sound engines as Kronos and Nautilus.

8 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:
8 hours ago, zephonic said:

I don’t think Kronos has been virtualized yet? I wish!

Even then, I think it's just most of the VA synth engines. I don't think there are software versions of any of the others. Not just the piano and sampling engines, but also the EP engine, organ engine, FM engine, plucked instrument engine. 

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

idk, I have Gadget 2 and Triton (Extreme). Happy with them, but there’s nothing Kronos in there AFAICT

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7