Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Super Champ X2 RIP (maybe)

My favorite amp ever.

It needs a new input jack which is on a circuit board instead of being a stand alone thing that anyone can replace easily. I have a call and text out to Hunt amps of Scottsdale to see if he can fix it. He is not readily available by phone or text, so I will see if he responds, usually he does so after work. If not, I found one, a floor model in a shop. I also live near a Fender corporate office amps in Scottsdale, maybe they can direct me to a repair shop affiliated with Fender.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, desertbluesman said:

My favorite amp ever.

It needs a new input jack which is on a circuit board instead of being a stand alone thing that anyone can replace easily. I have a call and text out to Hunt amps of Scottsdale to see if he can fix it. He is not readily available by phone or text, so I will see if he responds, usually he does so after work. If not, I found one, a floor model in a shop. I also live near a Fender corporate office amps in Scottsdale, maybe they can direct me to a repair shop affiliated with Fender.

It's probably pretty repairable, in spite of the less than ideal PCB-mounted construction.

Are you sure that the jack itself needs replacing? I'm not meaning to second-guess you. I've replaced some of those years ago, but also simply carefully re-touched the solder-joints on some, with the addition of a tiny amount of fresh-solder and/or flux, followed by a careful cleaning.

Even if the pads and/or traces on the PCB are damaged, those can be repaired, too, with a small bit of wire and soldering. Been there, done that!

• Like 4

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Caevan has the right idea. If you have a solder sucker and or a solder wick you might try something I've done a few times. Mark the board at the traces - H for Hot and G for Ground. Snip the posts of the jack, leaving enough to solder wires to them. Put wires on a Switchcraft jack, solder the leads correctly and put everything back together. A 2 cable Switchcraft can be installed with the spring for the hot lead on top so it's not near the cord, leaving some clearance. Worst case you could enlarge the top of the hole with a rat tail file. With the knurled washer that is included with the jack if you tighten it well it won't go anywhere. 

• Like 4
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I took the amp over to Hunt Amplification over in Phoenix this morning. http://huntamps.com/ He says that he can fix it, and will have it for me this time next week or so. He is overwhelmed with amp repairs as his reputation in this area is stellar. I had him work on my Hot Rod Deluxe about 5 years ago he did a wonderful job on that amp.

• Like 5

In the mean time, I am using my Egnater Tweaker 15 watt Head with a Cannabis Rex 12 in one 1-12 cabinet and an EVM 12L in another 1-12 cabinet so I have 250 watts of handling capacity with my 15 watt tube amp head pushing about 1/5th the volume the amp can put out. I got'er set so I don't need ear plugs to practice. I did however get a chance to tweak my settings on my pedal board and amp head a bunch this morning with a fine tuning of the controls on the amp and pedals

E-mail from Lowell Hunt Below

Hi Dave,

Thank you for choosing Hunt Amplification to work on your Fender Super Champ X2, serial # 1742384.

Look out for an upcoming email with a diagnosis and estimate (if applicable). If I didn't mention it at the shop, my diagnosis/bench fee for all services is $80 per item. If you choose to move forward with the work, this fee is deducted from your final invoice (a very simple repair will run $80 total). If this is an issue, please let me know.

You will receive another message when the Fender is ready for pickup.

Please feel free to reply to this email with any questions, or call me any time at: 623-236-9096. For update requests, please allow me a few days to get your device evaluated on the bench. I will respond with options as soon as possible.

My walk-in hours are 9-4 Wednesday-Friday and 8-12 Saturday.

Best Regards,

Lowell Hunt

Hunt Amplification LLC

2202 W. Lone Cactus Dr. Suite #4

Phoenix, AZ 85027

huntamps.com

• Like 3