Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Typical of Yamaha to be late to the party when it comes to this kind of gear. 

Maybe the SEQTRAK will be a cool portable device for making noise on the go.

It's a bit over-priced considering the existing competition.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

It’s £399 in the UK, what would you consider the competition for this?

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

4 hours ago, pjd said:

I had pictures in October. 🙂

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/the-other-unicorn-in-the-room/

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this compared to Yamaha's QY-70/QY-100.  I've seen some nostalgia expressed for the QYs, but since I never had one myself, I haven't had the chance to experience what was so great about them - besides the QYs having screens.

1 hour ago, timwat said:

I'm not their target market, but first thing I thought when I saw this was Teenage Engineering:

https://teenage.engineering/products/ep-133

https://teenage.engineering/store/op-z/

Yup, thought the same. 

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

More info at CDM,

"It’s an FM/sample-based synth, sampler, drum machine, and connected music maker. And most noticeably, it sees Yamaha return to the kinds of fun design we associate with 80s Yamaha and Casio.

This honestly looks a lot like what a Yamaha PortaSound or Casio SK-1 would be if you had modern tech. So, yes, Teenage Engineering has prominently made a stab at reviving some of the candy bar magic of vintage Casio with the OP-1, OP-Z, and OP-1 Field. But let’s look further back, because this also recalls 80s Yamaha and Casio, right down to the bright colors and internal speaker. Of course, that all benefits from the latest digital innards because look at what’s inside:"

https://cdm.link/2024/01/yamaha-seqtrak-first-look/

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

6 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this compared to Yamaha's QY-70/QY-100.  I've seen some nostalgia expressed for the QYs, but since I never had one myself, I haven't had the chance to experience what was so great about them - besides the QYs having screens.

t’s £399 in the UK, what would you consider the competition for this?

Your wish is my command: 😃

https://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-seqtrak-quick-reaction/

https://sandsoftwaresound.net/namm-2024-yamaha-seqtrak-ideastation/

I quickly browsed through the SEQTRAK voice and effects list. If someone owns/plays and programs a Montage or MODX, the voices and effects look very familiar.

No AN-X? Not much new ground broken, here. Kind of blah. The workflow had better be outstanding or sales are going to be slack. My old AN-200 has AN and AWM, for pity's sake and it's how old?

-- pj

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, pjd said:

No AN-X? Not much new ground broken, here. Kind of blah. The workflow had better be outstanding or sales are going to be slack. My old AN-200 has AN and AWM, for pity's sake and it's how old?

Yamaha has a goldmine waiting for them to pick, with a standalone AN-X synth as a competitor to the likes of Roland Gaia or the Minilogue. It's cool that this seqtrack has FM-X, but with the focus more on sequencing than sound programming, I think we're a long way from their answer to opsix (which if we're being honest, probably wouldn't move much, unfortunately).

• Thanks 1

Thank you, @pjd.  You are the only person I have seen articulate what was wonderful about the QY-70/100.  Other people just say they miss the QYs but can't explain why.  😉

I suppose Yamaha could add the AN-X engine in a future firmware update, although I would not base a buying decision on this kind of speculation.   If they've been secretly working on this thing for 2 years, they might already be working on this speculative update as we speak.

Or perhaps they will release a Seqtrak AN that has the AN-X engine but omits the FM engine, because Yamaha doesn't want you to have too many nice things for only $400 street price.  Joking aside, there is a precedent after all in the aforementioned AN-200 (AN and AWM but no FM) and DX-200 (DX and AWM but no AN).  

Speaking of DX-200, I read a comment from one of the other critics of the Seqtrak that the DX-200 required a software editor to access the full set of parameters.  He said it bothered him so much he ended up selling it, and that is why he does not want the Seqtrak.  

The closest competition from Roland is the MC-101, which has 128 voice polyphony, is 4-part mulitimbral, and has a hybrid VA/rompler engine.  However, it has no onboard sampling, no FM engine, lots of menu diving for synth and FX edits, and a sequencer that has a confusing workflow when it comes to assembling patterns into a song.  Also, I don't like it's rompler pianos (acoustic and electric) as much as the AWM2 equivalents.   

I'm not in a hurry to buy the Seqtrak but am kind of watching how other peeps get on with it.

Playing devils advocate, does it do anything an iPad, interface and a few apps can’t do (Yamaha sounds aside). You could probably get that lot cheaper and you also have a versatile tablet that lasts 10 hours on a charge.

Too small for my tastes. Its another box with a nice sound & meaty specs, but a fidgety UI. Fairlight in an ear bud much? I still prefer the more accommodating environment of Logic. The SEQTRAK needs an outboard controller and some sort of computer to really milk it, which damages its presumed status as a self-contained item.

I missed the starting gun for this arena of pocket studios. If high portability is important to you, no problem, but the closest I've come is whistling ideas into a Sony voice recorder. That way, I can record my little inspirations and still enjoy a hike without smashing my forehead into a branch because I was fumbling with The Cloud.

"Stay tuned for a new band: Out Of Sync."
     ~ "The Vet Life"

22 minutes ago, David Emm said:

Too small for my tastes. Its another box with a nice sound & meaty specs, but a fidgety UI. Fairlight in an ear bud much? I still prefer the more accommodating environment of Logic. The SEQTRAK needs an outboard controller and some sort of computer to really milk it, which damages its presumed status as a self-contained item.

I missed the starting gun for this arena of pocket studios. If high portability is important to you, no problem, but the closest I've come is whistling ideas into a Sony voice recorder. That way, I can record my little inspirations and still enjoy a hike without smashing my forehead into a branch because I was fumbling with The Cloud.

They’re always looking for something that current music makers will bite on.  “DAW-less” is a very trendy, dare I say “hipster” movement.  The appeal is getting away from screen+trackpad/mouse.  Creating electronic music anywhere.  For some of us that would be an acoustic guitar, an accordion, an autoharp or a little Casiotone perhaps.  

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

6 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

They’re always looking for something that current music makers will bite on.  “DAW-less” is a very trendy, dare I say “hipster” movement.  The appeal is getting away from screen+trackpad/mouse.  Creating electronic music anywhere.  For some of us that would be an acoustic guitar, an accordion, an autoharp or a little Casiotone perhaps.  

The one largely unspoken stumbling block is that a keyboard generally has to have a stand and good luck finding a truly stable one commercially. I had a double Invisible Support model that held up like a tank, but I couldn't have taken that on a hike, clearly. None of the alternate cutesy, portable approaches put you on solid ground. It doesn't seem workable to sit with your legs folded and a Roland GoPiano or Yamaha PSR-x across your knees. Ouch!

Its not an issue at my house. Not being portable is easy to dismiss when the trade-off is having a huge orchestra of things at my fingertips. The "hipster" movement doesn't know diddly over squat about serious musical work, but I'm not hypocritical enough to claim that it matters. Having a slightly higher grade of fun at a picnic with an Electribe and a battery-powered amp doesn't exactly sound like a sin to me.

"Stay tuned for a new band: Out Of Sync."
     ~ "The Vet Life"

9 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Waiting eagerly for the Omnichord reissue!

Cheers, Mike.

• Haha 1