Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arturia Essential 49 mk2 . Not worth fixing?

This has a dead key after about 9 months of regular daily use. A few gigs and maybe 6 or 8 practices. I tried to open it up but after taking out the screws it still didn't want to fully open and after spraying some air randomly in there I closed it up and played it and after 5 minutes the key went dead again. Ok I got other better controllers now and this is either going to a local guy for a $100 fix or the trash pile. The thing in working order is worth less than $100.

Just venting but willing to hear suggestions. 

FunMachine.

It is very easy to fix it. You must open it and clean the key contacts with alcohol...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2024 at 1:06 PM, UnderGroundGr said:

It is very easy to fix it. You must open it and clean the key contacts with alcohol...

Beware... If by "key contacts" you mean rubber ones, alcohol is not a good idea. You can remove the conductive material and then you have a door stopper.

The only parts which can be cleaned safely with alcohol are the circuit board contacts ONLY if they are metallic. If they are also like black paint, don't do it and use a soft cloth, with some soft window cleaning product (as they tend to leave no residue) on it ONLY if there is too much dirt.

For the rubber contacts, I use a soft teeth brush, water, and some shampoo. That way the delicate conductive material is not damaged.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

Beware... If by "key contacts" you mean rubber ones, alcohol is not a good idea. You can remove the conductive material and then you have a door stopper.

The only parts which can be cleaned safely with alcohol are the circuit board contacts ONLY if they are metallic. If they are also like black paint, don't do it and use a soft cloth, with some soft window cleaning product (as they tend to leave no residue) on it ONLY if there is too much dirt.

For the rubber contacts, I use a soft teeth brush, water, and some shampoo. That way the delicate conductive material is not damaged.

I open and clean all my synths. If you put a little alcohol in a swap you can clean key contacts. You must be very gentle because you must not take over the graphite...

I have many electronic technicians friends and, believe me, its safe...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

3 hours ago, UnderGroundGr said:

I open and clean all my synths. If you put a little alcohol in a swap you can clean key contacts. You must be very gentle because you must not take over the graphite...

I have many electronic technicians friends and, believe me, its safe...

Note that now you are telling "little alcohol in a swap". That is not the same than "clean the key contacts with alcohol" as you wrote first, which could be interpreted as soaking them.

All in all, IMO, it is better to be safe than sorry. There is no need of alcohol to clean the rubber contacts, a mild soap, or what I use, shampoo, works nicely.

And, well, incidentally I am an electronics technician for 40+ years 😅 (and also engineer, but that does not matter as most engineers are far from the repair work 😉)

I am just trying to help, not fighting anyone 🙏🏻

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

Note that now you are telling "little alcohol in a swap". That is not the same than "clean the key contacts with alcohol" as you wrote first, which could be interpreted as soaking them.

All in all, IMO, it is better to be safe than sorry. There is no need of alcohol to clean the rubber contacts, a mild soap, or what I use, shampoo, works nicely.

And, well, incidentally I am an electronics technician for 40+ years 😅 (and also engineer, but that does not matter as most engineers are far from the repair work 😉)

I am just trying to help, not fighting anyone 🙏🏻

Thanks for your advice, i will try to do it the next time i will open a synth to fix a problem like this...😉