Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who's leading the Music ?

When I grew up as a kid in the 70s, I sometimes thought there was some sort of secret musical leadership among the great musicians, let's say, and little and successful Dutch bands didn't quite know what to do with that. Of course, as a kid listening to the radio, with not all too much of a life connection with popular music I thought certain influences were very good, and had led to marvelous records, but I felt there also were depressing and stupid musical and "sound" choices, where I didn't know about why that was. In high school, preferably going about the day and parties with the prettiest girl of my class, I still felt there were like  few musical leadership leadership sources, and that some directions bands and artists followed through were not great.

I get it: people want things they can relate to, musical lines that keep them feeling on top, or happy, and a lot of people will not naturally turn into leftish thinking students supposedly becoming a countries' future intelligentsia as individuals with proper ideals for the proper times. But who decides on it if music must be a dumb boy behind a "play" button, instead of a critical person with interesting thoughts ?

It would IMO be better even with the oil running out and fresh air getting scarce to make music listeners not automatically part of a preset range of ideas, but as musicians promote a certain intellectual freedom, regardless of music style. If that's not part of certain peoples' music, a lot is lost, IMO.

Theo

• Like 1

There is an infinite variety in music. Trying to define all music in one intellectualized post fails to take in the variety of musics or the reasons that they are played. 

You will perceive and define music in one way, another may perceive and define music in a way that is entirely different than your own. Both are legitimate to the individual but not to the group (all humans have music). 

Enjoy what you can in the way that pleases you. Understand that your path is yours alone. 😇

• Like 4
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

14 hours ago, Theo Verelst said:

...but as musicians promote a certain intellectual freedom, regardless of music style.

That certainly does exist in the library of music. One may have to flip through the card catalog to find it.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

There isn't a lot of rock and roll today. But I do like Sleater Kinney, I think they encourage and promote female empowerment. They have a new album coming out, I heard them performing some of it on Jimmy Kimmel Live and it is actually very good.