Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Look Out SE- Hurricane Frances

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My father lost half of his roof to Charley, and this bitch Frances appears to be heading straight for Daytona Beach.

Crap. :(

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If anyone is curious where I live, it's easy to find out!

1. Turn on the Weather Channel tropical storm update.

2. Observe the projected path for Hurricane Frances.

3. Draw a line straight down the middle of the projected path, and observe where it hits land.

4. Go west about 15 miles and there I am!

Wood frame house, too...we'll see what happens. I was supposed to go on a business trip this Thursday, but I think I'll need to cancel and stay with the family.

One thing I found out today is that an older, decently built house like mine may have a better chance of weathering the storm than a new cinder block house. The new house will be pretty much airtight, and when the pressure builds up outside the house, they can literally implode. A house like mine is "leaky" enough that the pressure differential isn't that great. This is why you're always told to crack the windows in a serious hurricane. It's also not two stories, which helps. But it's still pretty scary.

Watching and waiting...

Just listened to the conference call from the Tropical Prediction Center. It's not good for the meantime...Frances is an ass-kicker. Mixed blessings...the steering currents are weak. Good in that it won't hit for awhile. But, the worst thing you want is a hurricane that doesn't move. You don't want heavy rain and 100 mph winds on top of you for a long time. On top of that, weak steering currents make it hard to predict. Be ready for anything...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I'm busy putting up hurricane shutters and boards. This is going to be a problem, so if you don't hear from me for a while, you'll know what's happening. If I still have a house next week, I'll fill you in on what happened.

"I can't emphasize enough how powerful this is. If there's something out there that's going to weaken it, we haven't seen it," National Hurricane Center director Max Mayfield said.

-----------

Craig - if Lee ends up having a party and everyone decides to stay over & there's no room left, c'mon over to my house. I've got a sleeper-sofa and a bunch of sleeping bags. It's not much, but you're welcome to it!

And TinderArts - you too! I hope your plans to vacation at the Outer Banks don't wash away.

Of course, if this thing turns North it will indeed hit North Carolina. We've got too many trailer parks here for it to miss us.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Do what you have to, and respect life beyond all else. Hang in there folks. Let Frances do what it must, and let science,technology and Tedster tell us what may lie ahead.

If you must; board it up, and roll. Or go to the brick house in town.

And it sounds like there might be some offers for some good party places inland. :):thu:

Originally posted by Anderton:

I'm busy putting up hurricane shutters and boards. This is going to be a problem, so if you don't hear from me for a while, you'll know what's happening. If I still have a house next week, I'll fill you in on what happened.

Hang in there man....My entire Family is in the West Palm Beach area and I'm not digging this at all!! Batten down the hatches and God Speed.

See that red dot where it's projected to come ashore? That's right near Merritt Island and the Space Center. I used to live down there years ago, and I still have friends and family in the area. Last I heard, they've issued an evac order for the barrier islands and Merritt Island.

Everyone please take care, batten things down as best you can, and if they tell you to get out - even if you don't think it's going to directly hit you - don't wait - DO IT. Remember, these storms can be very unpredictable and EXTREMELY dangerous.

Be safe everyone!

Whether you believe in them or not, prayers still going the way of the folks in the Southeast... This is serious stuff here and the power in that storm to produce catastrophe cannot be understated. I'm prayin that SOMETHING comes along to block it from hitting land and shattering lives... :( Boggs
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

My parents are in West Boca. Last night they said the center of landfall was supposed to be about 95 miles north of them. Now it's a few miles further. But a company we do business with in Deerfield Beach (a few miles south of my parents) were told to evacuate. I'm unsure what to believe now. :confused:

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

See that red dot where it's projected to come ashore? That's right near Merritt Island and the Space Center. I used to live down there years ago, and I still have friends and family in the area. Last I heard, they've issued an evac order for the barrier islands and Merritt Island...

Hey, Phil, my wife worked in Melbourne for two weeks in 2001. I was in search of a new gig, so Lilly and I accompanied her. We stayed on the ocean on Merritt Island. It was wonderful to fall asleep to the sound of real crashing waves. I suppose that hotel will be hit pretty hard... hope everyone is safe and less damage than expected occurs. :( That island has a wonderful small town feel. :)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

There are actually those times when ND is the safe place to be. No hurricanes. Not much of any terrorist threats (what are ya gonna blow up here anyway, open pasture?).

My thoughts and prayers go out to those of you who's lives are connected to the storm area.

Sure glad we took our cruise out of Miami in the spring instead of now.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by meccajay:

Hope everyone in Florida is holding on thru it all. Frances was pretty bad.

Let's hope Ivan The Terrible misses you completely!

Looks like we don't have to worry about Ivan.

Thank God for that!!

Charly was bad enough... banks and businesses closing... evryday life disrupted... then it zigged when they said it was gonna zag :mad:

But Frances definitely zagged...

Hurricanes are awesome. Just being in one, you are aware of its vast power, and it is an eerie (eery?) feeling...

Here in the Gainesville area, we were on the periphery coming and going... Tampa and the Panhandle bore more of the brunt, but the parts of florida that lie in between had to put up with the bitch longer :mad:

Frankly i was surprised that my power, water and phone were out of commission for 49 hiours, and at that i was lucky--some of my neighbors still don't have power.

Lots of old-growth trees down, lots of home and automobile damage... :( The "historic districts" in some Florida town will never be the same, many old homes and trees are gone forever... :(

Loss of life? Yeah, from auto accidents and trees falling on mobile homes and stuff...

And my part of florida got off lightly!!! People further to the south of me have it much worse... my parents live in Tampa, and i haven't been able to get through to them...

But 2 of the 4 TV stations I can get in my rural part of florida were off the air as of a few hours ago... So I guess parts of Gainesville must still be without power...

I just got my internet access back a couple of hours ago... I really don't know what is going on, I haven't been able to get any radio or tv news in 2 or 3 days...

i'm gonna try to call my parents again...

Later, peops!!

Archived