Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard stand ideas you haven't tried yet

We all know stands today are still kinda boring.  We also know not all of us have the time, money, or know-how to build what we want.  What ideas have you had that for whatever reason you just haven't tried or built yet?  Here are my two:

1. Using EMT Conduit to build a stand similar to the Gibraltar stands people are making.  It could be MUCH cheaper depending on the size of the pipe (3/4 inch is still fairly cheap where I live)

2.  Vinyl wrap a stand.  With the varieties of vinyl wrap out there, we could see some really interesting looking wraps around keyboard stands just to add some flair to it.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm as handy as a foot.  No way I'd be able to build anything I'd trust, but I might be convinced to buy something from a handier person :)  

Whatever I use, it needs to be sturdy for a tall person at standing height.  X stands, bye.  2nd tier option is ideal even if I'm not using it currently.  Needs attachments for mic booms and other bits (anything loose like a mic stand that doesn't fit into my big box is a candidate to be forgotten.)   I like a really quick setup for my stand, ideally in a minute or two.  I want it to fold up at least somewhat to be able to carry and fit into my car.   Some of my stages are tiny so the footprint can't be bigger than the keyboard(s).

Easy, right?  :)   Best I have been able to come up with is the K&M Omega Pro.   It's heavy and doesn't stack well, but nothing's perfect.

The Gibraltar things look like they'd take too long for me to setup but they are cool-looking :)   

Ironically I've never had any comments on the keyboards I've used, but I've gotten quite a few on the K&M spider and Omega stands.

56 minutes ago, Donhughesmusic said:

Vinyl wrap a stand.  With the varieties of vinyl wrap out there, we could see some really interesting looking wraps around keyboard stands just to add some flair...

That is a interesting idea -- which could be fun and unique.

Although I've always tended to have my stands be stable and matte black, and have the music be what "stands" out... 😉

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

1 hour ago, Donhughesmusic said:

Vinyl wrap a stand.  With the varieties of vinyl wrap out there, we could see some really interesting looking wraps around keyboard stands just to add some flair to it.

Usually want stands to be stealth so idea of painting or wrapping a stand seems odd to me.    Working in media for a church  and filming services we usually wanted to cover the keyboard to hide all the cords connected and also work as a modesty panel for women on keyboards.  Being part of Media there was a lot of "pipe and drape" materials from set designs for changing the stage look or for special events.    The drape material is very slick and flexible cloth and always drapes nicely.   So we'd cut piece that would cover back and two sides of the keyboard and go down to the floor.   Then just used a couple pieces of black gaffers tape cover everything except the top and keyboard side.    Also covering that much no cords were seen no need to worry about cable management.    The drape material comes in a lots of colors so if you want to be colorful easy way to do it.  

That drape material was also light so we had a huge piece of it we covered our FOH mixing console with to keep the dust off when not in use and another we covered our grand piano with. 

7 phone books under each end of the instrument. Doesn't transport all that well, but once in place, stable as a mofo. Good for synths, lousy and a half for Hammonds.

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty
 and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life- so I became a scientist.

This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
      ~ Matt Cartmill

I want my 2 tier Invisible stand from the 1980’s back… the best, lightest, sturdy stand I owned. It held my KX-88 and D-50 among others for years. Foolishly, I got rid of it.

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2