Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Of all the songs you've written, which is your favourite?

Intersting topic. My favorite is "Black Market Daydreams." Oh wait...you wrote that one. Never mind.

Not to give a flip answer, but my favorite is whichever one I wrote most recently. When thinking about previous material, it really depends on my mood. I think "The Gift of Goodbye" is my best "song story," but "I Feel So Alive" is the most elevating and "Maladie du Coeur" is the most danceable. But next week I'd probably choose a different three songs. I guess it's like what people say about you don't have a favorite child, you like all of them for different reasons.

21 minutes ago, Anderton said:

Intersting topic. My favorite is "Black Market Daydreams." Oh wait...you wrote that one. Never mind.

Not to give a flip answer, but my favorite is whichever one I wrote most recently. When thinking about previous material, it really depends on my mood. I think "The Gift of Goodbye" is my best "song story," but "I Feel So Alive" is the most elevating and "Maladie du Coeur" is the most danceable. But next week I'd probably choose a different three songs. I guess it's like what people say about you don't have a favorite child, you like all of them for different reasons.

I forgot to mention - links to said song(s) would be appreciated :)

14 minutes ago, Anderton said:

Soprano, concert, or tenor uke on 'The Gift of Goodbye'? I have a tenor and a soprano. The tenor is easy to play. The soprano is very difficult. And I have small hands!

'I Feel so Alive' - I wish I had your positivity...

'Maladie Du Coeur' - I hear Paul Simon. Impressed by your command of the French language!

18 minutes ago, BMD said:

Soprano, concert, or tenor uke on 'The Gift of Goodbye'?

Soprano. My secret weapon is Melodyne pitch correction. Don't tell anyone.

21 minutes ago, BMD said:

'Maladie Du Coeur' - I hear Paul Simon. Impressed by your command of the French language!

No, you hear Paul Simon and me stealing from -- I mean, being inspired by -- the same people :) 

19 minutes ago, BMD said:

'I Feel so Alive' - I wish I had your positivity...

I don't, actually. I wrote this for a close friend who was in the hospital. I wanted it to become an earworm for her. The song Man in the Moon is more like my reality.

7 hours ago, BMD said:

And why is it your favourite?

In reference to musician internet forums this is my favorite because it's totally about some of the interactions that took place. Everyone knows how snobby some folks can be about tube guitar amps, nothing else will do and anything else sucks!

My goal was to use all the fake stuff I had available at the time; digital piano, digital guitar multi-fx/software amp emulators, etc.. It was a long time ago so it's impossible to remember what I used but I definitely remember I got a beat on a cheap crappy little Yamaha electronic drum that set the tone for it.

https://soundcloud.com/greg-mein/tube-ode

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Greg Mein said:

In reference to musician internet forums this is my favorite because it's totally about some of the interactions that took place. Everyone knows how snobby some folks can be about tube guitar amps, nothing else will do and anything else sucks!

My goal was to use all the fake stuff I had available at the time; digital piano, digital guitar multi-fx/software amp emulators, etc.. It was a long time ago so it's impossible to remember what I used but I definitely remember I got a beat on a cheap crappy little Yamaha electronic drum that set the tone for it.

https://soundcloud.com/greg-mein/tube-ode

Some very tasty playing on that track. And there's definitely a Joey Ramone vibe in your vocal delivery. Which is a compliment, by the way

52 minutes ago, BMD said:

Some very tasty playing on that track. And there's definitely a Joey Ramone vibe in your vocal delivery. Which is a compliment, by the way

Well thanks, I appreciate that!

It's meant to be light hearted and humorous, poking fun at amp snobs. I consider the style kind of hillbilly inspired by some of the alternate country music I was getting exposed to back then.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably this one:

Rockin’ Wid De Woogman

As to why, I guess it’s because I feel like it has the most finely tuned combination of fun and energy of anything I’ve written…and lots of synths. 😎

dB

• Like 3

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

My current favorite song I've written is not released yet, it will be on my band's new EP due out next spring. Will definitely shamelessly flog it here when it's out.

Until then, I guess my favorite is this track from a 2012 release by my former band Xenat-Ra, I cowrote it with the drummer.

https://xenat-ra.bandcamp.com/track/555

It's based on a riff I stole from a Carnatic Indian record, the main part of the tune is based on a rhythmic cycle of bars of 5/4 alternating with bars of 5/8, and every 5th cycle, there's a bar of 5/16, then a break. The outro riff is stolen from a Soundgarden tune, and changed enough to disquise the origin. The tune came out of a discussion I had with the drummer about how 5 was the hardest odd-meter to make groove, we wrote this to be a challenge to the band. It was a lot of fun to play. I'm still kind of amazed our MC could rap over this groove.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

On 12/19/2023 at 2:00 AM, Dave Bryce said:

Probably this one:

Rockin’ Wid De Woogman

As to why, I guess it’s because I feel like it has the most finely tuned combination of fun and energy of anything I’ve written…and lots of synths. 😎

dB

That's excellent, Dave! A hint of Tom Sawyer right at the start, but then off we go into a funktastic groove with stellar playing and great vocals. I Googled 'Woogman' but I'm still none the wiser 

4 hours ago, NewImprov said:

My current favorite song I've written is not released yet, it will be on my band's new EP due out next spring. Will definitely shamelessly flog it here when it's out.

Until then, I guess my favorite is this track from a 2012 release by my former band Xenat-Ra, I cowrote it with the drummer.

https://xenat-ra.bandcamp.com/track/555

It's based on a riff I stole from a Carnatic Indian record, the main part of the tune is based on a rhythmic cycle of bars of 5/4 alternating with bars of 5/8, and every 5th cycle, there's a bar of 5/16, then a break. The outro riff is stolen from a Soundgarden tune, and changed enough to disquise the origin. The tune came out of a discussion I had with the drummer about how 5 was the hardest odd-meter to make groove, we wrote this to be a challenge to the band. It was a lot of fun to play. I'm still kind of amazed our MC could rap over this groove.

Deep Purple keys at the start. Nice!

That was pretty amazing. As luck would have it I listen to a lot of Yes, Rush, and Colloseum, so the time sig thing was familiar. In fact, this reminded me a bit of Colloseum. And yes the rapping was incredible

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BMD said:

That's excellent, Dave! A hint of Tom Sawyer right at the start, but then off we go into a funktastic groove with stellar playing and great vocals.

Thank you, brother!

9 hours ago, BMD said:

i Googled 'Woogman' but I'm still none the wiser 

Nickname for a college roommate.  His last name was Wohlgemuth, but everyone called him Woog. 

dB

For what it's worth, here's mine

This is probably the tightest bass I've ever played, and I reckon these are the best lyrics I've ever written. The song is about child abuse, particularly as perpetrated by some Catholic priests and some teachers. 'Some' is the operative word here

It's called Holy Mother!

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14412595

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BMD said:

It’s worth a lot!  Thanks for sharing… 😎

Great tune!  Makes me think a bit of Frank Zappa and the Guess Who.  Killer groove…love the vocal harmonies.  

dB

8 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

It’s worth a lot!  Thanks for sharing… 😎

Great tune!  Makes me think a bit of Frank Zappa and the Guess Who.  Killer groove…love the vocal harmonies.  

dB

Thanks, Dave :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2023 at 2:14 PM, BMD said:

This is probably the tightest bass I've ever played, and I reckon these are the best lyrics I've ever written. The song is about child abuse, particularly as perpetrated by some Catholic priests and some teachers. 'Some' is the operative word here

It's called Holy Mother!

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14412595

Been there, felt that...

I called our school Our Lady Of Perpetual Misery.