Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT My wife has no clue how to watch TV

She puts on one channel, and keeps it there. It might be some really bad ABC programming or some such, but she just watches that channel. Then, when commercials come one, she leaves it there! Can you believe it?! I can't sit there. I suffer badly when commercial after commercial comes on and the remote is within my grasp but I don't want to upset her relaxation time. One day I wrote a "proper use of the remote" article and posted it to the refrigerator door. All I got from her was "smart ass".

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, y'all definitely need seperate TVs. Or think of it differently... you're not on a mission to absorb infotainment as efficiently as possible, you're on a mission to sit with yer woman and uh, make something happen or whatever. At least rub her feet or something.

Anyways, passive TV watching sucks. I get my news from Google News these days, just open up some interesting tabs and scan 'em and I'm done, a few minutes tops. A while back I was stuck in a big fat airport layover and they had CNN Headline News running all over the terminal. So they do their thing so slooowly and here's a talking head "blah blah blaaaaaaaah" and another one, "bleeeeeh".

Then they cycle through the same stories! Again! And again! Aaah! And my head was going nuts, "HOLY CRAP, THIS IS SO FREAKIN' ANNOYING!!"

I actually got up and wandered around the area looking for seats where the talking box couldn't reach me, but it was hopeless. I had to humbly submit.

The funny thing is, I got my BA in Telecom, which is radio and TV stuff. I sat through classes where we read all the latest research reports. Where hapless people were polled and prodded to figure out the greatest retention rates for enduring through endless dipshit boredomfests.

That's an evil science right there.

Hooray for broadband, that's what I say.

Originally posted by John Sayers:

Get her her own TV:)

Seems like a plan. I for instance am going to buy another TV for my wife mainly because I can't just passively sit and watch TV anymore. If I find some movie or a program of interest I tend to pick up my guitar and practice while I watch, and THIS annoys a hell out of her. :(
I am back.

She puts on one channel, and keeps it there.
Hmm. Wanna trade S.O.s?

I only watch TV if it's something I really wanna see. (Well, that's not really true, I have it on a lot in the studio as background noise while I'm doing unmusical stuff, but I'm not really "watching" then, know what I mean?) But anyway, if I'm taking the time to watch something, I wanna f&$king *watch* it! I don't wanna talk, I don't wanna cruise other channels during commercials ('cuz the other channels are just running commercials then anyway, and why watch two minutes of another program you're not gonna see the rest of anyway?), I'm focused on enjoying the program at hand, following the plot, catching the details. Meanwhile the woman just chatters away like a freaking parakeet about . . . damn near anything but what I'm trying to watch. :mad: (And BTW, I'm not a sports fan.)

Oh well, one man's heaven is another man's hell. ;)

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

In our house we just have an agreement.

The remote is my domain. Period.

Sometimes you just have to lay down the law. ;)

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Hmm, I do some practising in the living room as well as I watch. The step kids used to go nuts for a while until they realized I was playing whatever I heard! I also mentioned that I was the one that payed for the satelite bill and owns the TV.. Not much they could add to that. Ya the remote works best in my hands.. The wife can't operate it properly!

Thems the breaks.

Bri

Smile if you're not wearin panties.

I don't watch much TV in general.

Channel surfing during commercials drives me nuts. I don't like commercials, and I generally tune them out in my head. But, I have a thing about setting the TV on just one damn channel that has a program you are interested in, and watching it.

I've rode with people in cars that have one hand on the steering wheels and the other on the radio. They constantly switch station, often never listening to a song all the way through. I can't stand that! Set it, and forget it!

I remember a time when changing the channel on the TV involved an investment of energy to get up, walk across the room, and flip the channel knob. People were content to just watch ONE program back in THOSE DAYS.

You say, your wife doesn't know how to watch TV, but I think it's the other way around. Your wife remembers the pain in the ass it was to get up and change those channels. She has learned how to relax and just enjoy what's on. That's TRUE INNER PEACE. Watch the show....discuss during the commercials.

You need to learn from her. You are bringing confusion and discord into your home with your compulsive flicking. :wave:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

She took mine. I've been relegated to the basement. That's another thing that chaps my ass. I endured a three month fight with her so I could buy that new TV and surround sound system that she did not want, and now she has taken it over. If I'm going to be dominated like this, at least she could wear tight leather and tie me up or something. :D

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by cwfno:

She took mine. I've been relegated to the basement. That's another thing that chaps my ass. I endured a three month fight with her so I could buy that new TV and surround sound system that she did not want, and now she has taken it over. If I'm going to be dominated like this, at least she could wear tight leather and tie me up or something. :D
You could be relegated to the garage, with a tiny little 12" Sony with a click dial, 13 VHF channels and whatever UHF is on it, like I am.

'Course I have a sound system out there and that's also where I build my extra computers from parts too so I guess it ain't all that bad. :D

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by cwfno:

I've been relegated to the basement.

If I'm going to be dominated like this, at least she could wear tight leather and tie me up or something. :D

Shuddup and git back in yer hole, worm... http://www.hondaelement.org/avatar.php?userid=2828&dateline=1092515407

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by daklander:

You could be relegated to the garage, with a tiny little 12" Sony with a click dial, 13 VHF channels and whatever UHF is on it, like I am.

'Course I have a sound system out there and that's also where I build my extra computers from parts too so I guess it ain't all that bad. :D

Dude, you need to get with the program! I'm also relegated to the garage, but that's a plus! I tore off the door and closed that sucker up! The studio construction phase isn't done, but that doesn't stop me from living the life of luxury out there.

Just in the shop side, I've got a 19" color tv, playstation 2, vcr, full component stereo with 5/disc changer - 200 watt amp - stand alone cd-burner for asst uses, video camera for filming guests :D , strat/champ combo for late-night shredding, one pentium 2 for misc computer tasks, another pentium 2 acting as jukebox, a good supply of sharpies so my buddy mark can vandalize my workbench, and a freebie couch to enjoy all this mind numbing entertainment.

I also have a number of power tools, in case audio gear isn't getting the job done. :D

About the only thing I'm missing out there is a fridge to keep some cold beverages in. Would you believe I have to walk all the way inside just to get a cold one?

:eek:

Originally posted by Anoplura:

You just gotta explain to her the golden rule of the remote: No matter what you are watching, there's always something better on.

Amen, brother! Preach on!! :D

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Archived