Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Black Friday temptations. What has your attention?

RABid

On 11/23/2023 at 9:37 PM, felis said:

Nothing.

There are currently two things I'd like to get, but one isn't out yet, and the other isn't on sale anywhere.

I'm OK with letting my wallet cool down for a while though.

Quoting myself - I wanted a 14x6.5 Ludwig Black Beauty snare drum. 

No one had them on sale for BF, but I found a place that had 15% off on Sunday.

I also had a hair over $100 in points from that place for the last Kurzweil PC4-7 I bought.

That combination brought the price down to an acceptable level for me, so I went for it.

Not a keyboard related purchase, I know, but I've been playing drums for over 60 years, and keyboards for about 35 years,

so I guess it's OK to post about my latest drum adventure.  My wallet's still smokin'. 🤣

On 11/26/2023 at 9:44 AM, felis said:

I would think that getting better sound while using less resources would be raising the bar.

But maybe that's just because I don't know anything about programming.

Hey I don't know anything about programming either ha ha, 😅 but I think Urs is talking about Moore's Law. You can design more precise synth models as hardware improves. Diva came out in 2011 and was considered very taxing for CPUs. Repro came out in 2016 which allowed more accurate modeling. 

Some software companies are trying to wring more accuracy out of emerging processing power than others. Some would say we are approaching diminishing returns as far as the human ear is concerned. Others would disagree and say that the gap between Virtual Analog and Analog can be further reduced by more attention to detail.