Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Morning uplift

Just happened on this and thought I’d share. Light and poppy, but solid writing imho and dig the groove. Also, some unexpectedly tasty gospel tinges to the keys and the vocals (one of the ladies is definitely channeling Kim Burrell).

Appropriation arguments notwithstanding (and I know they’re out there 😅), this got me grooving this AM. Happy Tuesday to y’all.

• Like 5

What's that sound between 0:48 and 0:49 ?   I've heard it before on Brandy (Norwood)'s first record (which was the only record of hers that I really liked, mostly because of Keith Crouch's production, although Brandy's singing was also very appropriate).    I think that's where I heard it.    In any case, here's the first track.   Back in '94, I played this CD over and over.   I advise you to turn your stereo up really loud, it just makes it more enjoyable.   🙂      (I find this about 75% better than any Beyonce track, but that's just me).   BTW, Brandy was 15 when this record was made!  Amazing.   Sorry for going off topic.    Realized - yeah, nice track!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AROIOS said:

A sine lead. It's was hip in R&B/Urban 20 years ago.

One of the reasons why I think Bernie Worrell is one of the greatest influences of modern music! So many of those peeps were deeply inspired by P-Funk, and Worrell's synth work in them, and if they weren't directly sampling it, they were using it as the basis for their sounds in their tracks. Those tracks and artists  (Snoop Dogg, Dre, Public Enemy, Digital Underground, you name it) then became so deeply popular throughout the world, you can hear that influence to this day in so many modern tracks.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, CHarrell said:

One of the reasons why I think Bernie Worrell is one of the greatest influences of modern music! So many of those peeps were deeply inspired by P-Funk, and Worrell's synth work in them, and if they weren't directly sampling it, they were using it as the basis for their sounds in their tracks. Those tracks and artists  (Snoop Dogg, Dre, Public Enemy, Digital Underground, you name it) then became so deeply popular throughout the world, you can hear that influence to this day in so many modern tracks.

Yup, the MiniMoog and ARP2600 bass/lead sounds from the 70's, especially the ones that lean on the Funk/Soul side of the spectrum, had a huge impact on all sorts of genres subsequently.

12 hours ago, Floyd Tatum said:

I'm comfortable being 20 years behind the curve.  😃   That's bleeding edge as far as I'm concerned.

20 years behind the curve is hip in my book. I'm constantly trying to figure out some of my favorite 80's sounds and mixing techniques. 😃

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AROIOS said:

20 years behind the curve is hip in my book. I'm constantly trying to figure out some of my favorite 80's sounds and mixing techniques. 😃

40 years behind reads like digging in the crates.🤣

Mining for sonic gold from the past is cool especially when it's being played forward.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

6 hours ago, ProfD said:

40 years behind reads like digging in the crates.🤣

Mining for sonic gold from the past is cool especially when it's being played forward.😎

Crate digging is especially fun when it comes to 70's records. Besides the usual suspects J Dilla would sample from, there are tons of tastefully produced stock/library music from British labels like KPM and Bruton that I absolutely love.

• Love 1