Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Logic Update for the Apple Silicon crown - 10.8

Lets not forget Guido for many years said he would not make an AU version of VB3 available for OS X.  I liked it so much back then I purchased Sound Radix's container for $99 to keep it running in OS X.

Then I discovered  B5 and l'otary.

Wanna destroy brand value?

Piss on Apple and get your chicks for free, thats the way to do it.

• Like 2

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

6 hours ago, analogika said:

One thing that people seem to forget is that a lot of these vendors are comparatively TINY, with just a small handful of people working on future products, current product, AND support of old products that don’t really throw off any revenue, plus marketing, sales, and support. 

Every new OS is a moving target at least until release day, and often beyond that. 

Sure you can work to ensure official certification for the next major OS on a yearly basis ahead of time, but if Apple breaks a graphics library in beta 6, what good was that? You scramble to fix again, only to find they’ve tweaked it AGAIN and broken your stuff subtly in RC2. 

In the meantime, two of your developers were tied up that should have been working on the awesome new plugin that on its own would have made 20% of your yearly turnover in the holiday-season release pricing special. 

Best to wait until the OS is released and THEN test for compatibility, in hopes that it will be a quick fix, or maybe just work. 

OTOH, I have little sympathy for companies that only put in the effort every five years or so (hello, AIR Music Technology!) — for whatever reason. I look elsewhere, instead. 

BTW, Apple didn’t move to a yearly release schedule until Mountain Lion in 2012. 

Oh, I get it. But some of the really small ones I'm thinking about never mention macOS version compatibility at all, and the example I gave (I know it is just one) of iZotope probably isn't tiny. I can't say for sure if their staff is small or large, but they seem to not be on the smaller side.

Yeah, there's the option of staying on an older version of macOS if that's what works for you, and it's what I recommend to anyone who is more about getting work done on their computer vs. being on the cutting edge with the latest macOS, but that leaves out those who are buying new hardware for any reason. New Macs are limited to the version of macOS that was out when they shipped or later. So if I want or need to buy a new Mac and I know I want iZotope stuff, I either have to dig around to buy a slightly older Mac that runs Ventura, or wait until they get around to announcing their software finally qualifies, whenever that is. And if I want to use such-and-such from small developer who has zero compatibility info on their site at all, maybe I can find someone somewhere who says they've used it under Sonoma and they think it works, or just not use it.

• Like 2

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

6 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

Oh, I get it. But some of the really small ones I'm thinking about never mention macOS version compatibility at all, and the example I gave (I know it is just one) of iZotope probably isn't tiny. I can't say for sure if their staff is small or large, but they seem to not be on the smaller side.

Yeah, there's the option of staying on an older version of macOS if that's what works for you, and it's what I recommend to anyone who is more about getting work done on their computer vs. being on the cutting edge with the latest macOS, but that leaves out those who are buying new hardware for any reason. New Macs are limited to the version of macOS that was out when they shipped or later. So if I want or need to buy a new Mac and I know I want iZotope stuff, I either have to dig around to buy a slightly older Mac that runs Ventura, or wait until they get around to announcing their software finally qualifies, whenever that is. And if I want to use such-and-such from small developer who has zero compatibility info on their site at all, maybe I can find someone somewhere who says they've used it under Sonoma and they think it works, or just not use it.

Yes, and In that instance, if possible, don’t buy for example the first  Intel Mac or first Apple Silicon Mac.  Similar to not installing the newest OS.  If you can, hold off a season or two for the dust to settle.  If your stable machine died and can’t be resuscitated, scrounge for a second hand machine on the cheap.   

But returning to developers dragging their  feat - M1 Macs came out in November of 2020.  3 years is like dog years in the tech world. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Yeah, but native Apple Silicon compatibility is not a priority. Rosetta works astoundingly well. The purists who insist everything they install must be 100% AS native happily throw overboard many of the first-line plugin vendors whose installers or authorisation tools still run in Rosetta, even if the plugins themselves have been native for years. 

That's just ridiculous. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

26 minutes ago, analogika said:

Yeah, but native Apple Silicon compatibility is not a priority. Rosetta works astoundingly well. The purists who insist everything they install must be 100% AS native happily throw overboard many of the first-line plugin vendors whose installers or authorisation tools still run in Rosetta, even if the plugins themselves have been native for years. 

That's just ridiculous. 

There is a pretty short list of companies that have  successfully dragged their base along on hardware revisions which often seem immediate and unflinching. 

5 hours ago, analogika said:

That's just ridiculous. 

Yeah, I remember when I bought my first M1 Pro Macbook Pro, and before I sold an older Intel Macbook Pro i9. I ran them side by side to compare. The non native apps on the new machine under Rosetta, were still snappier than native on the i9, which was running hot with fans blazing!

I've never been fussed that a plugin is not native, unless for other reasons it crashes Logic.

• Like 1

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

17 hours ago, analogika said:

Rosetta works astoundingly well.

When I got my 15" M2 MacBook Air and migrated my Plogue Bidule setup from my old Intel MacBook Pro, I thought you couldn't mix Universal and Intel plugins in a host running natively - I assumed I'd need to run Bidule in Rosetta. I was wrong, I have Bidule running natively with a mix of AS native and Intel AUs and VSTs in Rosetta, and it's been smooth sailing - not a single hiccup (so far!).

Bidule displays each of my 8 processor cores' usage at the bottom of my screen. Looks like I'm using one of my 8 cores (I assume it's one of the four "performance" cores, the other four being "efficiency" cores). I occasionally break 20% processor usage on that single core!

I'm on the Logic FB group and probably 50 - 60% of the posts are from folks worried their planned purchase of a new Mac won't have the juice to do their Logic projects. Many of the answers advise to get the "Pro" or "Max" chips and >16GB ram... systems that smoke mine. I think a lot of these people have no clue how powerful these new Macs are (and of course they love to spend other peoples' money!). I'm sure I could get by with a 1st-gen AS MacBook Air from 2020.

• Like 5

I haven’t seen it done with real time audio, but I suspect it probably works OK…? Some people successfully run macOS using virtualization on a PC that also runs Linux and Windows.  I’ve seen it do Photoshop, Final Cut but not Logic Pro.  

On 11/13/2023 at 7:07 PM, ElmerJFudd said:

I haven’t seen it done with real time audio, but I suspect it probably works OK…? Some people successfully run macOS using virtualization on a PC that also runs Linux and Windows.  I’ve seen it do Photoshop, Final Cut but not Logic Pro.  

what are you referring to? Rosetta is not virtualisation. It’s the translation engine that (simplified) does one-time adaptation of code written for Intel CPUs into ARM code, and compiles and runs that. 

Running macOS in a virtual machine on a Windows or Linux box still means that it’s running natively on the Intel cpu — just within its own closed environment. 

• Like 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

5 hours ago, analogika said:

what are you referring to? Rosetta is not virtualisation. It’s the translation engine that (simplified) does one-time adaptation of code written for Intel CPUs into ARM code, and compiles and runs that. 

Running macOS in a virtual machine on a Windows or Linux box still means that it’s running natively on the Intel cpu — just within its own closed environment. 

No I’m just talking about virtualization (as opposed to say, open core) and wondering if it can perform real time audio with low latency as successfully as Apple has Rosetta working. 

Well, I just ran the new mix master feature and it brought a track to life, much better mix than I already had and a lot of space and clarity. Nice.

• Like 3

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I successfully upgraded my 2013 iMac 32 GB 1 Tb to Ventura OS allowing me to get Logic 10.8. (I used Open Core Legacy Patcher as per my post 11/10/23)

I’m happy. The system runs as well as it did but I have restored Apple cross platform functionality. Logic runs as smoothly as it had. I have run plug-ins like Omnisphere and Diva in Logic without problems. I like some of the changes in the new Logic that help my personal workflow. I don’t know which Logic upgrade to attribute each change, since it’s been a while since I could upgrade. I don’t run film scoring level plugin templates to comment as a super user but I’m pretty sure if I did I’d be running silicon as opposed to my 10 yo computer. 
Anyway, I hope to get some more time out of a working computer. Maybe this “Guinea pig run” will help others wanting to update their older Mac.

• Like 1

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

• 3 weeks later...