Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

YouTube finally cut off my ad blocker

I understand that YT is a business. I never complain when I watch on phone but on my home computer I enjoyed the luxury of not being interrupted with ads in the middle. I accept ads on my streaming services so I'm not opposed to them. IMO, just front load video with ads and then leave. 

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I've considered ponying up the bucks to get rid of YouTube ads. If I see one more "Use these dope pro chords to make dope pro music that will make you a dope producer and big star overnight!!!," I think I'll scream.

What I don't understand is this. I don't monetize my YouTube channel, and I don't want ads on it to bother other people. But the only way I can keep ads off my channel is by monetizing it, and then specifying that it shouldn't have ads. Go figure.

• Like 4

I've noticed a recent & very prominent rise in force feeding. YouTube's subscription rate for no ads is a tedious rip. I kill the volume & live with it, but there is only so much monetization I can take before the point is lost. I just click AWAY sooner. No sale, then. This is the next stage of the Net, where we'll see a line develop between Gotta Have It and Had Enough. Even when I disable an ad blocker and whitelist a site, I'm often rewarded with a tidal wave of crap. I especially hate the auto-cram of videos that appear in the lower corner of a page I'm reading. Its like having someone spit on my food, ugh. 

In a way, I'm amused in the midst of my outrage. The more I axe sites that shove too much up my nose, the more time I have for my music. Disney has bought HULU, so they'll crap that up soon. Corporate homogeneity is helping my budget. Its amazing how the cash piles up when I stop paying $20/mo. to entities that only contain 2 shows I like. HAH! Once again, MPN and Cherry Audio are my best Net-food values. :cheers:

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

I pay the no adds fee and watch a lot of YouTube. What bothers me is the adds in my free GMail account. They have been lax in screening and I am getting a bunch of "You have five viruses" email adds. I reported the problem but Google keeps pushing them to my account. 

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

41 minutes ago, David Emm said:

I just click AWAY sooner. No sale, then.

Then I feel sorry for you. You will never find out how to make dope beats with dope pro MIDI pro dope chords.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I caved and turned off adblock for youtube because it got too annoying and increasingly hard to watch anything.

I've never clicked on an ad or paid attention to them, what I didn't want was popups or things in my face.  I honestly haven't noticed much at all difference on the page since doing it.

I'm using an older version of the FadBlock extension, which blocks the ads.  Until recently, it had mostly 5 star reviews.  New reviews of it claim that the new version, 2.0, is monitized after a 30 day trial, though it is much cheaper than youtube pro or whatever its called.

I don't mind ads if they come before or after the video. I don't mind ads on the sidebar. I know that if it's free, I am the product, not the customer. Sometimes I even click on the ads just to give the provider some revenue. I'm carful about what I click though, because I know they are going to use it for targeted ads.

However, if the ad interrupts the music in the middle of the song, that's mean, evil, wicked, cruel, heartless, blasphemous, and shouldn't be done.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

• Like 1

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

On 11/2/2023 at 6:02 PM, RABid said:

I pay the no adds fee and watch a lot of YouTube. 

10 hours ago, Anderton said:

I figure there are really only two ethical choices: deal with the ads, or pay for the ad-free tier.

I have been paying for quite a while. Started at about US $11 a month and now up to almost US $15 a month. 

At some point I'll reconsider if the price/ performance ratio no longer works for me.  As for now, it does.

:nopity: