Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I want to replace my MOTIF with a lightweight, pro-sounding 61 or 76 key Piano, funky EP, B3, etc for LIVE-touring

4 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

Oh, I wanted to get back to clav. Of my main recommendations, Vox is strong on clavs, Yamaha not so much.

The Phunky Clav live set from Blake Angelos is pretty good, shows what can be achieved with some exploration. I use the Clav on Korg Module through the CK... Not bad. 

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

1 hour ago, Paul Woodward said:

The Phunky Clav live set from Blake Angelos is pretty good, shows what can be achieved with some exploration. I use the Clav on Korg Module through the CK... Not bad. 

One important difference is that the Clav has 4 basic sounds, plus specific tone controls, and a mute bar. You can see it somewhat faithfully replicated on Module's control surface...

db88158da7eb9a55b62ae034fb96c48b.jpg

Basically, almost every combination of different "up-down" selections on those white rocker switches gives you a different clav sound, so Korg lets you emulate all the different sounds that were in a real clav. CK only has two clav sounds in it, and can't as faithfully duplicate the actual range of different clav sounds. It's kinda like if someone made a clonewheel, but only supplied 5 of the 9 drawbars. It might sound good for some things... until you get to wanting a sound you need one of those missing drawbar settings for. 🙂

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

On 10/23/2023 at 10:42 AM, peacedude said:

- Awesome, expressive bright rock piano ....

- Did I mention EXPRESSIVE piano? ....

....Any recommendations?....

No recommendations.  I'm only posting because of the nice buzzword 'expressive'.

IMO there are very few keyboards that meet that criteria, which needs to be defined first.

For me it's primarily the interaction between your fingers and the keys.

The primary components are velocity, aftertouch, and release velocity.

Does the keyboard respond to those inputs from the hands?  If not, it can't be expressive for me.

There are other components that can contribute to expression, such as breath controllers,

a variety of pedals both general and special purpose, knobs, sliders, wheels, paddles, touch strips, and so on.

But for me, those are secondary to the primary inputs for expression.

Also - maybe not generally accepted, but I consider the physical keyboard, and sounds

as two distinct entities.

It's hard enough to find a keyboard with hardware that suffices.  To expect that board to have

specific stellar sounds is almost certainly a setup for disappointment.

So the alternative is to set your priorities, which might require getting those sounds differently,

such as through modules, software, or another keyboard.

IOW - compromise will probably be necessary.

That's enough of my pedantic rant for today.   🤣

No recommendations.

9 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

One important difference is that the Clav has 4 basic sounds, plus specific tone controls, and a mute bar. You can see it somewhat faithfully replicated on Module's control surface...

db88158da7eb9a55b62ae034fb96c48b.jpg

Basically, almost every combination of different "up-down" selections on those white rocker switches gives you a different clav sound, so Korg lets you emulate all the different sounds that were in a real clav. CK only has two clav sounds in it, and can't as faithfully duplicate the actual range of different clav sounds. It's kinda like if someone made a clonewheel, but only supplied 5 of the 9 drawbars. It might sound good for some things... until you get to wanting a sound you need one of those missing drawbar settings for. 🙂

It is strange to select just two settings. Yamaha posted back when I bought my YC that they had just fully sampled a Clav so we are all waiting to see where that ends up. I suspect on the YC and Montage... 

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I have no idea what Yamaha is up to with the YC and CP.  Maybe they don’t want to update sounds in those models while Montage M is the hot ticket during the holiday shopping season. But they’ve indicated through  polling owners that a sound update was going to happen yet for CP which I assume would be samples they’d want to drop in YC as well. 

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

5 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I have no idea what Yamaha is up to with the YC and CP.  Maybe they don’t want to update sounds in those models while Montage M is the hot ticket during the holiday shopping season. But they’ve indicated through  polling owners that a sound update was going to happen yet for CP which I assume would be samples they’d want to drop in YC as well. 

I can only dream that the CK will get some update lovin'. I suspect they will keep those for the big boys, but that would be a shame as the CK is already 'limited' in the sounds it inherits yet is a great board. Will be a shame if its low cost means 'what you got is what you get' 😔